Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-25-2002, 11:48 AM

homemade laundry soap

Hi....does anyone have the list of what and how much you need to make laundry soap? I need something that is low sudsing to save my septic tank any help is appriciated!

Mommyd
Old 05-25-2002, 08:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

making soap cheap

I have been making my own soap for a while and it does a really good job and it has hardly ;no suds at all and it get clothes clean. this is what you need
In 3 pints of water dissolve over heat
1/3 bar of fels naptha lanundry soap (I have heard of people using any kind of soap ivory lever 2000 this is very hard to find or call 1-800-457-8739 dial will tell you where you can locate it in your area.
1/2 washing soda
1/2 cup of borax if you call dial they will send coupons for this to lower to cost of making it.
combine all together and heat on the stove until thickens (like honey). In a large bucket add enough water to make 2 gallons mix until well blended.
I add a drops of lemon oil or ornge oil from the healt food store to give a good smell. Use 1/2 cup per load of laundry or use a little more depending on how dirty clothes are. Just please make sure to let it set up for 24 hours before use. i also pour mine in old liquid landry bottles for easy use hopes this help sue
Old 05-25-2002, 09:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I pretty much use the same ingredients, but here's how I do mine...

1)I grate 1 bar Pure & Natural Soap (we've reacted to some laundry soaps, so I went this route & I like the smell) into 3 pints hot water. I bring it to a boil & then simmer till all the grated soap is melted.

2) I add 1 cup Borax & 1 cup Washing Soda. I continue simmering till dissolved.

3) Pour into 12 quarts Hot Water (in a 5 gall bucket)

I've used it right away (its hot!) - but if you let is sit, it gels (similar to jello) & I add roughly 1 cup to a load.

It takes getting used to the fact that it doesn't suds much...but the clothes come out clean. Socks take extra help...but at my house they always do!
Old 05-26-2002, 05:47 AM

Thanks to you bothfor the wealth of information! I really appriciate it! Just one question, is washing soda something you find in the regular grocer, or do you have to get it at a specialty store? Does it have a brand name(so I know what to look for).

Thanks again,
Jayne
Old 05-26-2002, 07:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle washing soda

you can get washing soda at the grocery store ARM N HAMMER makes it and for some reason it is always on the top shelf but look closely you will find it. dont forget if you want the smell to go to the health food store and get the oils i mention your clothes will smell great. sue
Old 05-26-2002, 09:58 AM

Thanks Sue! As amatter of fact I just got back from the store and I looked down the laundry aisle , and sure enough right next to the borax was the washing soda! They also had plenty of fels naptha right across the aisle with the bar soap, so I bought a bar to try for stains. I'm gonna make the homemade soap as soon as I use up my detergent. Thanks so much for your help! DH and I are on a tight budget so this will not only help our septic.

Have a good memorial day,
Jayne
Old 05-26-2002, 11:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle you are very welcomed

Not only do i make washing soap but also my own cleaners. and fabric softner i dilute the cheap stuff with white vinigar and i hang out clothes on the line all of the time and if it raining i use racks that i got as x-mas presants.i posted another thread in the homemade cleaning section you may want to check it out i know how it is on a tight budget. but what does kill us will make us stronger. If i can help let me know.