Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-28-2002, 05:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Clorox sweep mop.A better way clean..

Hello all,
I have a suggestion that I just tried out on my own floor and after having this mop I was about to give up on it.What a waste of money after continuely buying the products for this specific mop,the fluid then the pads to clean with,not to mention if you have something stuck on your floor you gotta get down and clean that spot first before using this mop...Well ladies,look no further and save your money,especially after having kids.We have used several cleaning products in the reusable bottle,even though they suggest not too,hmm,I wonder why..lol and they all work just fine.Well instead of buying the pads use a washcloth,not your good ones but the ones you clean with and push in the mop.Thats it,your ready to mop and after it gets dirty just take it off and rinse it out and attach it again.It cleans all the stuck on junk we all see attach to our floor especially when we have rugrats and pets running loose all day.I now love my mop.If any of you have bought this give this way a try and see the difference.
Thanks for listening and good luck.
God bless to one and all.
Diane
puremom
~kailah-13~
~craig-9~
~noah-3~
~emmah-22mths~
Old 08-28-2002, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Good Tip ! I have a Swiffer mop and I use paper towels on mine to do a quick wipe up of the kitchen and bathroom floors. I like the idea of a cloth for better cleaning ( and in the long run, cheaper too !! )
Old 08-29-2002, 03:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Good Job

I guess if you are going to invest the almost $30.00 in a mop, it better be worth it, and there should be a cheaper way to use it then $4.00 for a small bottle of cleaning solution and andother $4.00 for a few cleaning pads! I just feel sorry for the people who acutually do this. Do they realize what they are doing to our world by creating so much garbage? Little alone what they are doing to their pocketbooks? Sometimes the easier way is not always better, we need to look at the big picture.
So good for you puremom, you found a way not only to save yourself time and energy, but do it responsibly!
I must now confess my method of washing my wooden floors.. all 900 sq foot of them. I have a spray bottle with pine cleaner and water in it, sometimes murphy oil soap and water, spray and mop. I wash the mop sponge out after a large area and then continue. I needed to find a better way then that bucket since I have fibromyalgia, and it is hard to bend a lot. This works for me.
BTW, my neighbor uses a bucket of water and a washcloth wrapped around her old swiffer, she loves it too.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Using the Swiffer with a regular paper towel is a terrific idea since using their dry cloth does get to be expensive in the long run. I don't know how well hairs (and other debris) will stick to it, but I will try it next time. Attaching a moistened washcloth is also a great idea!

This is what I've always done: I use the Swiffer dry cloth and when one side is dirty, I pull it off, gently shake it off and put the clean side to work. So I'm using both sides before tossing!
Old 09-16-2002, 08:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have a swifter mop too and never thought about using an old washcloth instead of their wet wipes for the floor. I like to use the orange clean when I do the floors..I love that smell!

janet
Old 10-22-2002, 07:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

...i am new here today...it is funny, because earlier today i was wondering about using the washcloths with the swiffer...i will try it now...thanks for the tips...and bellasmom, i have fibromyalgia, too...i know exactly what you are saying...
Old 10-28-2002, 08:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mmmm Janet my oldest dd and I love the smell of pine cleaner. I hate to mop but get motivated to do so just so that I can smell the pine.
I was going to invest in one of these mops but wasn't sure but now that I read about the tips I think I will go ahead and get one for the less messy days. With 3 granddarlings in the house we do have some days that I almost need a jackhammer to get the floors clean.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 01-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I always look at the Clorox mop as an extravagance. The cost of the mop is one thing, but the cost of the solution as well as the pads, seems to be very costly.
I too have fibromyalgia. I use the swiffer to dust the floor, then I put a cleaning rag with an inexpensive cleaner over it to wash the floor.
The good thing about the regular swiffer is that it is easy to get in small spaces by going sideways!
Old 01-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Charlen, I love my swifter too...I have the first one...it works for me,I attach a rag and use my floor cleaner to do my floors. They usually don't get too bad...I have tile and it looks like parquet wood...people have actually reached down to see if my floors were real or not.lol I have to take all carpet out of the rooms due to allergies...only have the 2 bedrooms left with carpet. Carpet hinds a multitude of bad floors! lol

janet
Old 02-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I know this thread is old, I was just perusing....

I love my swiffer, too, and I also use both sides. When I brought it home and told hubby I was gonna do that, he laughed and said, " I knew you were!"...lool, I hate to waste and it sure seemed like one to throw it out after only one side was used.

I love all the ideas about the washcloths and paper towels, too.
My big fancy way to mop..........

Are u ready?........

I pour some Lysol (I LOVE lysol) on the floor in a few places, pour some water on top of that, throw down a big ole towel , spread it open with my feet, and go to town, using my feet. I glide all over the floor, mopping up the lysol, spreading it around with the towel.

Sounds crazy, I know, but, I got the idea one day after it rained. I love to have the doors open when it rains, but,of course rain gets in and gets the floor wet. So, I went to get a towel to dry it up, and it shone like crazy. So, I threw out my old nasty mop, which never got my floor clean because I was rinsing in dirty water.....

Be blessed,
Beckie