Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:38 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Need a new mattress

Every morning my husband and I wake up stiff and with sore backs. Often we wake up with one of our arms asleep! We've had the mattress for about 8 years, but it's killing us and we need a new one. The brand is Verlo, and DH has always thought it was too hard and has never liked it. It didn't start bothering me until recently, I'd say within the last year.

Anyway, we don't want a waterbed, been there, done that LOL I would consider one of those foam coil mattresses (??) or a Posturepedic. We already have the two box springs you need for a king and of course the frame, so all we need is the new mattress.

I am curious what type of mattresses you guys have and if you are happy with them? Have any recommendations?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 05-27-2002, 10:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Three years ago I did a lot of research before deciding on the mattress we bought. We ended up buying a pillow top mattress ( I believe it is a Sealey....I went to look and the label is on the other side of the mattress right now and I need DH to help me flip it). It is a firm bed even though it has the pillowtops. We needed a sturdy bed because neither one of us are small people and we want it to last. We love it ! The downside though is buying sheets for it. You need sheets with REAL deep pockets and they are sometimes hard to find & then are rather $$$.

I would suggest that you shop around to see which one is right for you. Go into a few stores and lay down and try out their beds....roll around and lay like you normally sleep. After the first couple stores you wont be embarassed to do this ! ;-)

Did you know that you can haggle with their prices ? Shop around and get to know the prices and watch for sales....even if your favorite isnt on sale, you can save money on it ! I haggled and got quite a bit off the asking price plus free delivery on our bed. ( I got that hint in Consumer Reports and it works !!)

Good Luck to you !

Now, if I could only find decent pillows that would last for a while before going flat but wouldnt break the bank buying them !!
Old 05-28-2002, 02:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We have a Sealy Posterpedic and really love it.

But with a mattress there are SO many to cheese from. I would go to a few bedding stores and find the ones that you both like. Lay on them and try them out.

When you get the brand and style you like, call a sleepys, Rockaway beddings, 800mattress etc...

Most of these places WILL haggle.you will have to ask them what their equivalant to your brand and style is. The reason I say this is because they make the same styles (of a brand) in differrent models for each store. Then they can help you.

OR after you find a brand and stlye call the company and ask then what the alternative names are. (this is what we did on out last mattress) then go to a bedding store and haggle.

THere is one last alternative, go to qvc online and order one, you have 30 days if you do not like it. They have the ones that each person can have their own hardness or softness,,, I hear people rave about them but I eas never on one so I can't personally tell you how they are.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

new mattress

picking out a new mattress is enough to make your head spin!!!!!!!!

we did what is tipically suggested. we went to different stores and laid on the mattresses to see which ones were most comfortable. but unfortunately, this doesnt always insure you get a long term,comfortable, and good quality mattress even if the name is supposidly high end-brand name. the first mattress we purchased years ago was Southerland. it lasted 10 years-was extremely firm (too firm to me)( i am small build-my hubby big)-so he loved it- but i felt like i was sleeping on top of a hill. then last year- we shopped around and bought a simmons beautyrest-around $1000 for king size. it was soooooo comfortable when we tried it out-and still is-but i will never recommend anyone to buy this brand-it is absolute JUNK!!!!! the first set we received had the worst quilting on the top of the mattress i had ever seen- big areas of the stitching were popped everwhere on the mattress. so we called the store and had the top mattress exchanged. then after a while - we noticed the bed seemed to sink on one side-we constantly flip our mattress-so we looked under the mattress and noticed the box spring-where they weld it together-had broke. so now i need to get hold of simmons and see if the warranty is as good as it supposed to be. we would be going through the store-but they went out of business recently. i have a bad feeling we will be stuck with a broke box spring or have to pay $$$$$$$ for the shipping. wish us luck!!and i wish you luck with your decision on yours. all i can
recommend is to check around-perhaps consumer reports magazine, etc. to get a better idea of which brand is TRULY TOP NOTCH. i probably would start with Sealy myself if i have to buy a new one. or i am sure there has to be some sort of consumer report group on the internet-that can suggest what brand is good quality- and most importantly-try to buy from a store that has a good reputation for taking care of it's customers when they have a problem. Good Luck.
sincerely-sheila ann anderson
Old 05-29-2002, 03:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We just bought a serta with extra cushioning on top and bottom....yes the sheets have to be deep pocketed, and I found them at Sears.....not that much more expensive than regular sheets.....the best thing to do is wear jeans and a t-shirt...and go mattress shopping with hubby......and lay on each mattress....twist and turn ....lay on your side your back etc...don't be ashamed....do it......and then get the one that suits the two of you.......We love our new mattress....shop furniture stores too, they sometimes have them cheaper than the mattress stores....

Jeannie
Old 05-29-2002, 08:02 PM

Amanda, my husband and I were experiencing the same problems this winter. He was walking around looking like he hadn't slept in a month!

First of all, if you haven't bought a mattress in a while, be prepared for sticker shock.

We bought a Sealy that is tufted on the top. It is a deep mattress and is very comfortable. Be sure and measure your box spring before you go. We found that this bed is narrower than our old bed, which didn't matter because we bought both the mattress and boxspring. Make sure you both lay down so you can tell if it's wide enough. Our mattress is one of those that doesn't move for me if hubby's tossing and turning.

The furniture store should have some type of return policy. By the way, I found sheets on clearance at TJ Maxx that would accommodate the deep mattress.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2002, 05:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

need a new mattress

I have bought a foam pad made to put on top of your mattress. That has helped alot, we had the same problem you do. They are designed for the bed and have different forms for each section of your body - head, torso, hips, and legs.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:44 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks to EVERYONE for all of the advice!

fourforone - Where did you get it? That sounds like a good option for me!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-02-2002, 06:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just found this thread.. New mattress.
Wow can I relate to this problem.

Both my husband and I needed a new mattress. He had lower back problems for 10 yrs. (2 ruptured disks) I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since my mid 30's. He was being cheap about buying a new better mattress. After years of lost sleep
I got completely fed up and decided that I had better do something about it. I had a high pressure job in a printing and die cutting plant.I was working long shifts fatigued, and the pain of my RA was killing me - often my legs were numb to my knees, when I got off shift they were so puffy and swollen. I saved and worked some extra weekends shifts for 4 months. Out of my pay
Then went out to 4 different mattress companies on a Fri eve.. I finally settled on a Spring Air Back Supporter Precision Plus ! An orthopedic mattress I probibly laid down and tried out 250 different mattresses. Had it delivered early Sat. morning. Got rid of the old mattress. Never told my husband. He didn't notice the switch right off. The first night - I slept better than I had in years.
The leg fatigue and numbness in my legs went away more than 80%. My husband slept well too. The second night he caught on and I admitted the mattress switch. We still sleep on this mattress it's 8 yrs. old.We do turn the mattress over, like they recomend.
And though my husband didn't ever give me a direct verbal apology, flowers showed up at work for me from him 3 or 4 days after I exchanged mattresses, and he scheduled a romantic overnight at a B&B for the both of us the next month!.
I'm not saying this would happen every time... but if your husband is stubborn, and your back, legs, whatever are killing you find a way to take care of yourself. I still consider it one of the best buys I've ever made!
Old 06-02-2002, 06:46 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Leslie9220
after I exchanged mattresses, and he scheduled a romantic overnight at a B&B for the both of us the next month!.
LOL!! I have one question, did you bring the new mattress to the B&B??

Thank you so much everyone for all of the wonderful advice and recommendations!!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda