Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 02-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Old fashioned Living

Imagine living the way our grand parents and great grandparents did?!!
Surely, I could not do without the conveiniences we have today such as hot bubble baths and washing machines but sometimes I long to live more simply as in earlier generations.
Does anyone live any ...for lack of another word "old fashioned lifestyles"....and I do mean that term in a GOOD way!! You know, baking bread.....which I know several of you already do.......quilting.......knitting.......sewing clothes...gardening....etc..etc...
Please share how you manage today's busy lifestyle and keep, atleast some of your life, old fashioned?

Hugs, trainlady
Old 02-09-2004, 03:56 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Trainlady-

I guess I could qualify: I make my own soaps now. I started out just making them for myself, now I also sell them. I make my own body dusting powder, body oil, and lip balm aka chapstick.

I also make my own candles. Granted, I buy the wax in bulk but I do make my own... they last longer and smell better. We like to use them alot in our home at night instead of using so many lights.

I do these things first because it's frugal, a bar of soap including scent cost me about .50 cents and I know what is in it!

Have lots more to learn in this area.

Anna
Old 02-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I consider myself and old-fashioned girl in a modern world. I don't reject the things that make life easier, but I don't buy every convenience. I don't have anything like an electric can opener!

I do make my own bread and grind my own wheat(but not all the time!), I have a minimalist approach to almost everything. We have one televison, one car, only the furniture we really need. Our house is not large either. I make quilts and repair our clothing, but I don't make our clothes. I don't have my manicures or pedicures, or get my hair done every week. I get a hair cut about every two or three months and that is the only time a salon ever sees me.

We consider our purchases very carefully and plan for the spending. We never finance something if it isn't absolutely necessary. I research items at the library, before we buy. I try to buy quality items that will last and not harm the environment. We spent more money on our washer and dryer, in order to save on the water bill. I decided on a front loading pair. It was not the least expensive choice, but in the long run the most frugal, I think.

Such a good question, Trainlady!
Jenna
Old 02-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

In the spring I like to take my son and grandchildren on picnics at the park and in the summer on days that are not scorchers... We fix up some chicken the night before, some potato salad, plastic forks, spoons, and a big container of iced tea and were off! We will take a few story books and take turns reading to the smaller kids. They always love it. And I am almost ashamed to tell this one... BUT, my hubby has a favorite pair of thick hunting socks (he paid dearly for them- as to keep toes warm in freezing weather), they got a hole about 3/4" in the toe area. So I got out a light bulb and ran it down the toe of the sock and sewed it up. Do any of you remember your Mom's doing this? I do. My Mom had 5 kids and back then times were a little tight at times and my brothers were so rough on their socks it seemed she always had out that trusty "light bulb" repairing holes in the socks. We laughed about it last week, she remembers it well, but said today she would throw the socks away first!!

Unknown
Old 02-10-2004, 11:00 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Darning Socks

Chadsmom-

Don't feel embarassed at all about darning socks. I do my husbands too. We have a bad little doggy who will sneak behind the bed with a sock and chew holes in the heel or toe. My husband has a very hard time finding socks that fit with a loose stretch to them, so until we can find more I have to keep repairing them and keeping a close eye on that pup! Of course, it would be better if my dh wouldn't leave them in temptations way.
That is a wonderful idea about the lightbulb, will have to remember that, it sure would be easier!

Anna
Old 02-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO LIVE BACK IN THE DAYS OF GUNSMOKE, LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE AND BONANSA. YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED AT WHAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY LIVE WITHOUT ! ALTHOUGH I WOULD REALLY MISS MY COMPUTER AND VISITING WITH ALL OF YOU.

You will be forever missed Breezy...

Love, Your FC Family
Old 07-27-2004, 05:20 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Grandma's Recipes For Life

Thought you all might appreciate this story about Saturday Night Baths:p

http://waltonfeed.com/old/lifes-rec/jj-baths.html

Anna
Old 07-27-2004, 05:25 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The Old Timers Link

Here's another link there I think you'll enjoy.

http://waltonfeed.com/old/index.html

Anna
Old 07-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

OSI, I really enjoyed looking over this website you posted! (I wonder if my kids would like to have lived back then...NOT!!!) It was funny... several months ago we had a bad storm and a 3 day power outage(thank goodness it was warm), but we had to go and get water from the fire dept in town, and Winn-Dixie, 20 miles away gave away 20 lbs. of ice to each person. We had to go to a local campground to take a shower, but my son said "Momma, this is kinda fun, I like not having lights!!" Well, in reality I liked it also...It was an experience- but it sure made me thankful for the modern things we have today also...

Unknown
Old 07-27-2004, 06:44 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Chadsmom

It is one of my favorites too... such a huge wealth of history throughout the site.

Anna