Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I got thinking about 'old fashioned', on Craigs List is a lot of furniture called MID CENTURY, ha ha, that is when I was growing up, mid 1900s (1950 on). Like turtlemama said, a healthy mix is good for me, too!

There have been quite a few treadle machines on CL lately, now that I know Lehman's carries parts I'll think about getting one for the house.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 08-20-2014, 06:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mom, so jealous you have a functioning treadle. I have the one that has been handed down in my family. My mom made a lot of our clothes on that treadle. I can still see her doing it, and I still have one of my favourite outfits that she made on it. But I can't get it to work properly! It makes four stitches then skips, over and over again. I wanted to use it as my quilting machine. It has so many presser feet it is astounding! If you have tips, I am ready to listen!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

H Cooked,

I have not bought the belt for my treadle yet so I don't know how well it sews. The machine and treadle do appear functional though I am no expert on sewing machines of any kind.

Your treadle sounds as if it may be the tension, or maybe just altering the stitch length. If you could get your hands on an old instruction booklet for a treadle machine that would greatly help you. I am thankful there was an old booklet in one of the drawers of my treadle cabinet.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I recently received my treadle belts in the mail. I bought two belts from Lehman's. They were not expensive at all.

Since we have to be connected to the grid because we live in the city I do avail myself of some of the modern conveniences, like electricity and heat. I have no washer or dryer by choice. I hand wash most things and than run them through my manual wringer.

I just love old fashion living.

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 01-17-2015, 06:58 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom View Post
I just love old fashion living.
I do, too. That's great about the belts.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks MMP,

Now if I could just de-stress other parts of my life. LOL!

Old 01-17-2015, 07:55 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

Cooked, have you tried taking it to a sewing machine repair? Even though it is a treadle they may still be able to fix whatever the problem with it skipping stitched is. Worth a try!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 01-17-2015, 08:14 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom View Post
Thanks MMP,

Now if I could just de-stress other parts of my life. LOL!
I agree. While I'm a relaxed and calm person by nature, I still occasionally succumb to the stresses and busyness of today's daily life.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

They were great times i myself like many others make my own soaps and cleaners,i catch rain water which is great for cleaning and washing your clothes and i make my candles and i not only use my woodstove for heat but,i cook on it as well.I enjoy this lifestyle as i've been doing it for years to me it's the best way to live, and i even built my own BBQ stove from bricks that i found.Most of what i learned i learned from my grandmother as she and my grandfather had this little cottage that had no power to it and they had this big ole woodstove they used for heat and cooking on and my grandmother had lanterns that they used for light.Being that i was pretty much raised by them i really enjoyed it,we would play cards or some sort of game as there was no tv which kids today would have died lol,my grandfather collected rain water for my grandmother and they got water from the spring as there wasn't alot of water that could be used something to do with the well,i was young then so i didn't understand it all.I sit here and think of how i grew up and you know those simple times were the best times and i am so blessed to have been able to experience it all and i thank god for that special time in my life i shared with my grandparents.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:08 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

Sounds like a wonderful childhood meadow!

We have no furnace nor AC in our log home, we heat with a wood stove and even though it is not designed for cooking on I can get a Dutch oven and a skillet at the same time on it, and baked potatoes do very well inside the stove pulling some coals to one side. Love cooking on it and when we are without power for days at a time it is great to have!

We have an outhouse in the woods not far from the house which is also used especially when the power is out. We only have well water so when power is out no water to run the house with, but we have a hand pump well on another well about 1/4 mile from the house and it is spring fed; wish it was closer to the house because we love to drink that water!

Have a generator that runs 1 refrigerator and the freezer so we are actually good to go when no power.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life