Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 10-10-2010, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

How is everyone doing with their old fashion living? I would live to build a tiny cabin on some land and live off grid, but can't see that happening yet if at all since I live in the city.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:28 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Dawn

I have joined 2 yahoo groups..

Simplesolarliving and Country Living and Homesteading I think is the second, all I see are the initials now but anyways...

we are learning about homesteading and using wood stoves, I just learned about a refrigerator that runs on both electric and propane (it has a switch that you can use for either or) very pricey but if the power fails, it's there. Dh says for the price a generator would be cheaper but it is a choice to keep in mind. It uses small propane tanks not those big ones you see in the yards. You can also get smaller ones in old RV's that have been sent to the junk yard sometimes. We are learning alot about using LED lights run by a 12V battery, alot on self sufficiency which is very important to me and goes back to living the old fashioned way when we were less dependant on the utility companies for our survival.

I just posted in the craft section a link to make solar sun jars that can be charged by the sun and brought in at night to light a room, not sure yet how much light it puts off, I need dh to look at the site to see what all I'd need though it list it he might have easier ideas for me.

Anna

Anna
Old 10-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Anna,

How cool is that, I didn't know you were the ANNA in the simple solar group. I am a member also of that group. :0)

I saw the people explaining about the sun jars but I was not sure how much light that would give. I was able to buy a solar garden light on clearance at Target an will see how that works.

I read about that drum wood stove, sounds good and less expensive, but lots of work to get it set up and going.

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Dawn

Yep, that's me on there... still learning and learning from that group, so much info. that at times I feel like I'm chasing my tail trying to keep up with it but wouldn't change a thing. I bought the solar light today, have a jar I think will fit, dh started to look at the instruction sheet but was a little annoyed with the slowness of the pages (he wanted to go outside and enjoy the sunshine) so I'm going to have to see if I can print it out for him.

Anna
Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Anna,

I recently bought a solar garden light, it has a beautiful blue swirl colored globe on it. I was suppose to charge it in the sun for two days but decided to bring it in and try it early. it does bring light into the room although it is blue, I think I will need a few more.

My hubby liked the idea of a garden light in the house, that sure surprised me cause I thought he would snicker at the idea.

Now if I could just figure out the heat issue, not having a wood stove is a bummer.

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 10-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I would like to get some of the garden rechargeable lights would leave them outside but bring in when we are without electricity instead of lighting the oil lamps.

Roberta
Old 10-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My Mother had a solar statue she had bought .It was very light weight. She would bring it in the house at night and it put off good light.

Unknown
Old 10-20-2010, 11:25 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I had 2 solar spotlights, they were very small and were used to light the American flag... I brought one in the house and took it in the bathroom and shut the door and it put off alot of light. These were $14.99 for a pkg. of 2 at Harbor Freight.. if planning on purchasing look for their now weekly 20% off coupons in Sundays coupons. Anyways.. someone stole them and a neighbor on the next streets lights. So my advice if you are planning to use these for emergency lighting, keep them hidden. I bought one of those stake ones you see everywhere yesterday for $3.98. I didn't get a full charge yesterday but am hoping tonight it got enough charge to see how much light it'll put off. This will give me a idea if I want to pursue the sun lamp idea or try something different with solar.

Roberta

A lady on our group lives in a cabin and she was telling us they lived without electricity this summer... she said you could only imagine how hot it got using nothing but candles and oil lamps. I hadn't thought about that aspect they do both put off heat.

Dawn

I hear you on the wood stove... I too want one badly though our gas bill is very low, if we loose electric we loose heat. We do have a kerosene heater so we're not on "emergency mode" but we love the smell of a wood stove and I liked the ones they showed that you could cook on top too.

Oh and Roberta

Another lady on that group puts her garden solar sticks in a basket, charges them and brings them inside at night.

My husband said "how do you turn them off"? I would think you could just put a dark towel over them or something... I don't think it would hurt them or cause a fire.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 10-20-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We also keep glow sticks on hand. They light for hours and are cheap at Dollar Tree. In fact we are putting glow sticks in our pumpkins this Halloween.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My blue solar garden globe is nice but I think I will try to get a white solar garden light and see how that lights up.

Blessings,
Dawn