Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 03-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am teaching myself how to sew by hand and by machine.
I am also trying to learn to be a better Baker and a better Cook by making more things by scratch and healthier as well.
I am also trying to learn to quilt, scrapbook,organize, crochette,crossstitch,needlepoint,rug making, knitting and all the rest of the Old Fashion Homemaking Skills.

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

A few years ago my cousin bought my great grandparents house. They plan on tearing down the house they have put a new one on the property. He is having a hard time to get himself to tear down the house too many memories there. His wife keeps making appointments with the fire department to have it burnt but he keeps canceling them. they have torn down the old barn out house and sheds. The things that he had found in them are amazing. The school that my kids go to have an old fashion day for the 4th graders. They go back to colonial times. My cousin has donatated everything he found to the school for this activitie. They have done this for many years. This was all donated in my great grandparents memory. This year my oldest dd is in 4th grade and they just had their old fasion day this past month. The children are incouraged to dress in that time period. I searched the thrift stores and made her complete outfit for under $5.00. Another cousin had a pair of shoes from that time period she found at a yard sale for .50 and just thought they would be fun to have. My dd wore them. They opened all of the 4 grade classrooms and they made a museum. they had a one room school house and many other things. Their whole day was done as it would be in that time. They learned how to live in that time period. My dd said she would have loved to live in that time period. She was noted on the morning annocements of being the great great granddaughter of my great grandparents and thanked for being part of the family that donated so many wonderful items to the schools project.
These children spend 2 months working towards this day in many ways.

I make all of our blankets and dd10 has learned to make soap and would love to start making it. We like to use candles at night instead of lights. We are looking for more ways to live the old fashion way.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Anyone else care to share their "old fashioned" qualities about themselves?

I still write "old fashioned" snail mail letters and send birthday cards.
I make homemade birthday cakes and sometimes, cards!

Anything you would like to learn, that seems to you, "old fashioned??!!"

hugs. train
Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

AT first I thought how silly who wants to go back to the days of not having anti biotics and cars and the internet but then I realized what I miss most of the 'old days' as I know them from experience and others accounts is that they were very people and conversation centered.

Knitting was done in knitting circles, reading was done aloud around the only oil lamp in the cabin while others darned socks, or oiled boots, or made lead bullets by the fireplace.

What I miss most about the days when I was sahm and the kids were young and the electricity would go out was the shear coziness of it all. Sitting by the fireplace with an oil lamp in the kitchen and a pot of soup on the woodburner were all things we sometimes did voluntarily.

But I am not so sure about washing clothes in the winter and hanging them out on the line to freeze into planks of cotton and wool!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 04-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Somethings I try to do the old fashioned way. I bake bread, we have 2 chickens for the eggs, I sometimes dry the clothes on a rack. I would like to be able to do more and be more frugal, but not easy in the city to live off the grid so-to-speak.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I bake our bread and make pretty much all our baked goods from scratch.
I have been known to make a fire in the back yard and cook on it.
I have a craft group that meets weekly and we all sit around and do whatever craft we are working on. I quilt and sew and needle work, crochet and knit. I am trying to get my treadle sewing machine working again too.
I garden in the summer and hang my clothes out to dry when there is no snow. I used to can, but don't do that much anymore.
I do truly love the new world ways, including computers and my KitchenAid! but sometimes you just have to do it the old fashioned way!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I would love to join knitting, crocheting, sewing, quitling circles! There is a quitling cirlce that meets every monday in a neighboring town. They have been meeting for 38 years.
I love making my own bread, cooking from scratch. I am amazed that the younger girls do not have a clue. I love to sew. I love to make something new out of something old. Trash to treasure.
I like hanging my laundry up too! But I love having a washer and dryer.
Oh a craft group would be so much fun too! I have tried to start one here but no go.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Bluebird is right about the younger girls not having a clue, but I think that extends to adults of both genders. I live in a very busy city, and when some people in my neighborhood notice my chickens(hens) most of the time they think they are roosters. One adult woman with a child said they were turkeys and once another child said she liked my ducks. It's sad that people don't even know the difference between a male and female chicken.

I would love to be even more frugal. It is hard in the winter though without a fireplace to try and cut back on electricity and gas for warmth. Any ideas? I'm up for suggestions. :0)

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Society in general is so different than "back then" Most of us don't even really know our neighbors anymore. I think people used to have to depend on each other but now everyone just wants to be left alone. Seems we are much more dependant on things now than on each other.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

You are right Graceymommy, but I am fortunate to have 4 neighbors that really care. One has "adopted" Steven my 11 yr grandson and is always giving him little things and hot chocolate in the morning when he is walking down to bus stop and it is cold out etc.
She and the one between she and I as well as one across from them and one on other side of are really great help to me and we all look out for each other.
My g-mom use to quilt I so enjoyed watching her. Okay have rattled on enough for one time Merry Christmas all