Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 02-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

blushing Embarrasing Tightwad Moment

Yesterday I had the most embarrasing tightwad moment.
We are temperarily staying in a really small mobile home while we await possession of our new home in May. We sold our house in December.

Anyway, the home insurance agency guy was supposed to come over in the afternoon, and he did. But in the morning I hung up all my plastic baggies in the front porch where the laundry and wood stove are located. AND FORGOT about them.

When the Insurance agent came, he was looking at the woodstove and then was staring behind me. Then he got a funny look (grin) on his face.

Immediately I remembered those gosh durn baggies and didn't know what to do, so I walked into the kitchen with the hopes he would follow me in. He did, but he took one last look at the hanging baggies off the closeline

I told my husband about it when he got home and he almost wet himself laughing. Geez, I wanna be frugal, but does the whole town have to know, hehe

Wildflower
Old 02-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wildflower - what a funny story! That must of been kind of hard. But, good for you on your frugalness, and who knows, maybe he'll wash out baggies too now!

Carol

Old 02-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'm sorry...but I am !! I can just imagine the look on your face when you realized that you had forgotten about the baggies.

Look at it this way. He now knows that you watch your money and don't spend it foolishly so hopefully he won't try to sell you insurance that you don't want/need!

Who knows, if he is married maybe he took the idea home to his wife to try!

Old 02-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wouldn't it be great if I started a new trend out here in this little town?

wildflower
Old 02-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My most embarrasing moment was many years ago when my daughter was in kindergarten. We were shopping for school clothes and went into a local Goodwill store. My daughter stopped right in the doorway and said (loudly of course) I thought we were going school clothes shopping, we are, I replied...and she continued with "THIS ISN'T K-MART!" We laugh about it now, but at the time I was mortified!!
PS...I wash and hang baggies and zip lock bags also!!
Old 02-10-2004, 09:56 PM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Welcome wildflower & Deb......

When reading your post, wildflower, it brought back some childhood memories. My mother, Blondie, always washed out her baggies, ..... At the time I always had the tought, "What if any of my friends should decide to come over....... what would they think?" Well, after all those years passed, you'll find me as one of her followers!

I guess my frugalness began way back then. I had one of the greatest teachers!!!!!!

Carol Ann
Old 02-12-2004, 06:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

LOL!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

How cute! I think you should be a little proud too!

My DD was a very verbal child and had to tell everyone who would talk to her about how her clothes were used, but didn't look it. She would ask people if they thought her outfit was new and then tell them it wasn't and how much I paid for it. Made for some good conversation with other frugal gals sometimes and some awkward moments with spend thrifts who thought we were crazy! One lady just said "How RUDE!!" and walked away! LOL!

Happy Baggie Washing!
Jenna
Old 02-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

LOL
Old 02-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I must tell a funny(but a little ) moment...

We took my son to sign him up for kindergarten last summer. Being new to this school district, I had no idea who his teacher would be. They took him in to test him by himself and here he met the lady who was going to be his teacher. Now mind you, my son LOVES to talk with adults so he was already winning over everyone.... His teacher came in and introduced herself saying "Hi Andy, my name is Mrs Goodwill". My son looked at her and smiled then said " Oh, Goodwill, we shop there sometimes but we shop at Salvation Army more." From that moment on theyve hit it off and he loves his teacher. BTW, my DS didnt tell us this story, it was the asst. principal, who was in the room with them, that said how proud we should be of him.

Ive learned to get over being embarrased about anything like that. He is as proud as a pea**** when he gets something that he wants at a yard sale or wherever. He loves to go curbside shopping with me! He has even said to people (neighbors) that are throwing something away that is still in decent shape--"Why are you throwing that away when you could donate it somewhere."

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!