Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Food Coloring
specifies McCormick or Schilling

Tint wallpaper paste. - Add a few drops of Food Coloring to wallpaper paste so you can see how well you¹re covering the wallpaper.

Make your own gift wrapping paper. - Add five drops Food Coloring to one cup water, making one cup for each one of the four colors. Stack several sheets of white tissue paper on top of each other, fold them in half, in half again, and in half again. Dip each one of the four corners into a different color solution without soaking the paper. Let the tissue dry on newspaper, unfold, then iron flat.

Make colorful macaroni jewelry for kids. -Add a few drops of Food Coloring to a bowl of water. Dip dry macaroni noodles in the water, drain, and dry. Then make necklaces by stringing the colored macaroni noodles together.

Paint snow. - Put a teaspoon of Food Coloring in a spray bottle filled with water and let kids spray designs on snow.

Make fried chicken golden brown. - Add a few drops of yellow Food Coloring to vegetable oil before frying. The chicken will absorb the food coloring and become a golden brown.

Color the water in a fish tank. - Adding a few drops of Food Coloring will make a colorful environment without harming the fish.

Differentiate hard-boiled eggs from raw eggs in the refrigerator. - Before hard-boiling eggs, add Food Coloring to the water to tint them.

Recolor small bleach spots on clothing. - Mix Food Coloring with water to make the proper shade and apply to the spot.

Make fingerpaint. - Mix two cups soap flakes, two cups liquid laundry starch, and five drops Food Coloring in a large bowl. Blend with a wire whisk until the mixture has the consistency of whipped cream. Or mix one-quarter cup Kingsford¹s Corn Starch with two cups cold water, boil until thick, pour into small containers, and color with food coloring.

Tint flowers. - Mix Food Coloring in warm water and place the flower stems in the solution overnight. The stems will absorb the colors by morning, revealing intriguing designs in different colors.

Make clown makeup. - Mix two tablespoons Corn Starch, one tablespoon solid shortening, and several drops Food Coloring.

Make colorful glues. - Fill an empty honey bear with white Glue and tint with a few drops of Food Coloring.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Bubble Wrap

Bubble Wrap Burglar Alarm:
Make a burglar alarm for your home. Lay Bubble Wrap on the floor inside your doors and windows. When a thief breaks in and walks across the floor, the "pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop" will alert you to the intruder.

Bubblehead:
Improvise a football or motorcycle helmet. Wrap massive quantities of Bubble Wrap around your head and seal in place with clear packaging tape (or duct tape). If Bubble Wrap can protect a hand-painted egg shipped from Czechoslovakia across the Atlantic, it can protect your head when it hits asphalt. CAUTION: The specific amount of Bubble Wrap required to provide adequate protection has not yet been determined.

Bubble Wrap Insect Repellent:
Prevent mosquito bites on arms and legs by covering your extremities in Bubble Wrap. When mosquitoes do try to bite you, the Bubble Wrap bubble will pop and the tiny explosion of air will send the mosquito spiraling through the air.

Sweet Dreams:
Sleeping while camping can be a real pain in the back, unless you are carrying a lightweight six-foot roll of Bubble Wrap as a mat to place under your sleeping bag. Or fold a twelve-foot-long piece of Bubble Wrap in half and duct tape the sides to make the padded sleeping bag of your dreams. CAUTION: If you are sleeping on the beach, high tide may cause you to float out to sea.

Bubble Wrap Boob Job:
Enlarge your breasts. Padding a bra with Bubble Wrap gives a nice natural feeling without the nasty side effects of silicone implants. WARNING: Do not substitute Bubble Wrap for silicone implants during plastic surgery.

Bubble Wrap Instead of Cash:
Impress your date by padding your wallet with a piece of Bubble Wrap behind your money. It will look like you have a lot more money than you actually do. Or just impress your date with the fact that you always carry around a trusty piece of Bubble Wrap.

Old 07-10-2002, 05:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you for the tips I know these tips will come in handy for my family and I!! :)

Thank you for the tips I know these tips will come in handy for my Family and I !!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 07-10-2002, 05:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Uses for Everyday Items

Shawn,

Believe it or not Barbisol Shaving Cream is also good for a sun burn. Rub it on the burn and let it dry. At first it will feel stiff, but it soon loosens up. A doctor told me about this years ago and I've jused it since. I found out through trial and error that shaving cream in a spray will work just as well as the cream in a tube. Also, any brand will work. Don't make the mistake of using menthol....it doesn't cool...does the opposite. Thanks for all the handy tips.

Linda
Old 07-02-2003, 08:38 AM
Nessie

Hi Shawn! Thanks for the tip on using food coloring to cover small bleach spots on clothing. I have a blouse with 2 small spots and I thought it was ruined. Why didn't I think of this?!
Nessie
Old 07-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for posting all this. I'm sure I could use most of these right away. :0)

Row.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks for all the cool ideas Shawn! I have heard of some of these things but not everything.
Someone just sent me an email on what good uses to do with vinegar, and if I didn't delete it, I'll share.
I do know that it is good for dandruff.
Also on another note, denture tablets are a wonderful overnight cleaner in the toilet. Just make sure everyone has used the bathroom for the last time (for a couple of hours anyway) then just let one dissolve in the toilet. It will look like it has gone down, but it won't until it is completely dissolved.
Family Corner is my favorite site.
Thank you so much for all you do, Shawn and all the other people who make it so fun.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

All of these are Tried and True.

BABY WIPES
Makes a great laundry pre-treater. It will take up a good amount of a food stain when the stain is fresh, and helps keep the stain from setting.

TOOTHPASTE
Takes permanent marker off wood furniture. (Also takes off the wax, so be prepared for this)

FRISBEE
My neighbor uses these under plants instead of saucers.

Love this thread!!!
Old 01-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Plastic bags from the grocery store

trashcan liner or wastepaper basket liner

litter bag in car

taking your pet for a walk and he makes a mess~pooper scooper

shower cap

when using an intense conditioner on your hair it will seal in the heat

place in paper shredder basket to catch shredded paper to use for kitty litter boxes
Old 01-22-2004, 03:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Plastic bags from newspapers

Put a couple in your diaper bag to wrap up those "toxic" diapers when you're traveling!

Wrap your shoes in them before packing in your suitcase.