FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Tightwad Tips (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/tightwad-tips/)
-   -   Frugal wedding on a budget? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/tightwad-tips/6712-frugal-wedding-budget.html)

Txchef_fran 04-24-2003 07:22 PM

Frugal wedding on a budget?

I am sure there are some of you out there getting ready for a wedding (whether it is yours or your childs) and want to do it right but not spend the bank. I want to heard some tips for a frugal wedding?

Did you have a low budget wedding? If so tell us what was so frugal about it.

I got a wedding gown (satin beaded) that sold for $700-$1000 in the bridal stores for $199 at a Bridal Outlet!!:-O

nocashmissy 04-27-2003 06:27 AM

I've been married for 10 years and my wedding was frugal. Here are some things we did to cut corners
reception hall- free (my brother belongs to the Redmans club)
so check with members of family that belong to organizations you can get them free or for under $100
food- we didn't cater, we ordered meat and had my uncle slice it with his meat slicer also the cheese. We bought our vegies at sam's club and made our own trays. and we stocked up on pop on sale for about 6 months
my mom did all the alternations on the bridemaids dresses.
a friend did my flower arrangements for free as a wedding present . I did buy most of the flowers.
My flowers on the alter were bought at a local Kroger floral shop the day of the wedding and when we told the florist why we needed so many she gave us a discount.
we didn't rent a limo or carriage to leave in. We borrowed a friends classic car. The wedding pictures were expensive but we got it video taped for free by a longtime friend of the family. We made our own table decorations and wedding favors. (())

Txchef_fran 04-27-2003 06:25 PM

Sounds like I wasn't the only one!

We had a family friend do our wedding video as well as our girft. He does it professionally so it wasn't a rookie job.

We decorated with white mylar balloons, ficus trees (that my sister in law bought and then returned that afternoon ), candles and white table clothes.

We bought Sam's premade deli trays, ordered sandwiches from Quiznos, my sister in aw made the grooms cake. HUGE cheesecake with chocolate covered strawberries! Mmm.... We were even going to make the wedding cake BUT my MIL decided she would cover that. It was from teh local grocer and was only $100 and feed a ton!

I made my veil, got my dress for $199, got my shoes from payless for $30 and spent about $50 on courset & hose.

Friend made my ring pillow and I got my garters free with my $199 dress!! (which also came with free alterations and cleaning!)

Church was $100 only because we wanted the planner...so basically it would have been free if we wanted to just use the church but we wanted to have ribbons on pews and share flowers with another couple that got married after us!!! (we avoided the $10 cleanup fee by having bubbles instead of rice or birdseed.) We wrapped those ourselves.

Anything I missed!

shanstar4u2 04-30-2003 11:17 AM

Photos

Instead of hiring a photographer I bought disposable cameras and put them on every table. That way my guests could take pictures throught the wedding it was really nice to see the pictures once they were developed. I did a whole album with scrapbooking supplies it turned out very nice...

GRANDMAANGEL 04-30-2003 11:38 AM

ROFLMAO Txchef_fran -- If I didn't know better, I would swear your sister-in-law and my daughter-in-law were related! The ficus bit is something she would have done! Thanks for the laugh!

dlj5752 04-30-2003 12:59 PM

Weddings

I too loved the ficus tree story. We made inexpensive wedding favors by buying small clay flower pots for 15 cents apiece, spray painting them mint green, putting a 10 cent package of flower seeds in them and wrapping them in tulle. The reception tables had homemade topiaries in larger pots painted the same colors. We also bought our flowers from a grocery store and saved a bundle. Or youngest daughter really saved a lot. She (and 19 other couples) got married on Valentines Day in the center court of our local mall. A local radio station provided everything you would have at a regular wedding including the cake and reception. It was a very nice wedding. The only drawback was it was done on a morning program. The wedding was at 7am.

mhnurse 04-30-2003 01:00 PM

I also did my wedding on a budget and it turned out wonderful. I did luck out. I was checking with the local florist regarding the wedding flowers and I was able to rent pew bows, the unity candle holder, little glass bowls to place flowers or candles in, the cake knife and then she had other decorations you could rent that were cheaper than some of the other rental places. She also came to the church and helped us decorate and set up for no extra charge. She also made a flower arrangement that we used for a cake topper instead of a normal cake topper. I loved the way the flowers looked on top of the cake. I did have a small wedding and in total with all my flowers and rental I spent about $150. My aunt who is a florist told me there was no way she could have done it for that cheap. I also had family friends do the wedding photo's and tape the service. The florist also gave me the number of a woman who does cakes and she did them for under $100 and was able to make one tier white and the other tier chocholate. Looking back I should have made it all choclote because it was the first to go!!

squigglyml 04-30-2003 01:25 PM

Wedding Ideas

My friend had an individual 6 inch cake for each table decorated with a few fresh flowers. She still had a small wedding cake on display that she and her husband cut. It was a beautiful centerpiece and less than the cost of both a large wedding cake and flowers for table centerpiece!

Another idea is to check where you are getting married. If there are other weddings happening that day you might be able to share the cost of flowers with the other bride(s).

Congratulations and hope this helps!

Mary Lynn

snowowl551 04-30-2003 01:50 PM

My DH & I got married 15 years ago and I did everythingvery frugally. My dress was a white satin 2-piece suit I paid $30. I don't remember the cost of the shoes, but they were from Payless. My dad was a seasonal camper at a camgrounds near where they lived, so we had the ceremony there. We had a procession from the campsite through the trees, to stand in front of a double lake. It was beautiful! I bought a large white fold-up type fan and put white silk flowers down the straight side with ribbons trailing from the center of it to use for my bouquet. I put mathcing flowers and ribbons on a plain white hat. I made a bouquet for my Matron of Honor.
I made my wedding cake. I decided that I probably could and a friend had a Wilton's year book where we got ideas from. I worked in a restaurant at the time that allowed the employees to purchase things at cost! I bought the plastic ware, cups, and napkins from there. I also bought ham, roast beef, turkey, corned beef, swiss & american cheese. I sliced them myself and borrow trays to put it all on. Then I assigned each of my 5 brothers and sisters something to bring: pop, ice, bread, plates, snacks; and had each one bring a side dish. My mil took care of condiments, lettuce, tom, ect. And my dad took care of the beer and the minister. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that I planned this 200 miles away! Altogether I spent less than $350.00 total!

meritage 04-30-2003 01:58 PM

Frugal wedding

There are several things we did to keep our wedding frugal.

We weren't willing to compromise on the food, day of week or time of day. So, we had a Saturday 5pm wedding, hor doerves and sit down dinner reception following, in early November. (November is less costly than summer months)

1) We kept it small--we're both in our 30s and have ALOT of friends, so we only invited a few friends each, the rest was family. We only had about 40 people--over half were in from out of town. We each had one attendant (best man and maid of honor), no children in the wedding. We were also able to skip the rehearsal dinner (we just did a casual dinner at a local restaurant the night before the wedding for our out of town guests and family)

2) We had the wedding at a chapel, but the reception in a small local restaurant that had a separate private room. The food was 5 star quality, we provided our own wine (quality wine, low prices--from CostCo), and the florist moved some of the flowers from the chapel to the restaurant. A few of the kids were dancing in the small bar area, but no "standard" dancing stuff, no DJ--just more like a fabulous dinner party at a restaurant.

3) I bought my dress at a discount bridal shop for under $500, I bought my veil online (I paid $30 for what was $200+ in stores)

4) The chapel provided an organist in the fee, and the restaurant was so small that having live music wasn't an option--but they had a CD system and let us coordinate with them what music would be played.

5) We used a wrought iron candellabra from our home living room that was in front during the ceremony, then transferred to the restaurant--so we didnt' need to rent anything and it was more tasteful than the typical stuff a chapel might have on hand.

6) Our flowers were done by a friend of the family, so we got a great deal on them...still they were one of the more expensive items--but I was able to get what I wanted and they worked with me really well.

I'm sure if I thought about it a bit more, I could think of more things, but those are the key items. Good luck!