Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 05-01-2003, 04:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Frugal wedding

Hi,

I think I had one of the cheapest weddings ever! My in-laws have a beautiful house on a lake, my husband-to-be made an arch for us to stand under. I wore my sis-in-laws wedding dress. The invitations were made by a friend as a gift, the cake was made by a friend as a gift, my brother and niece played the music on guitar and keyboard. I think the only thing we paid for was the tux rental for groom and the catering by a bar-b-q company. My Mom was working at a place that loaned us all the fold-out chairs, (it was all outdoors), and canopies. The photographer was even a friend - and gave us all negatives as a gift!!

At my sisters wedding - the family pitched in to help cater - we had deli meats and cheeses for sandwiches ( my mom used her slicer and we bought the food at a warehouse club), crackers, cheese, veggie trays, fruit bowl, sodas and punch.

Hope this helps some.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

That is great!!!

I can not believe how much people spend on weddings now days!! I think have a small wedding and start your life off with a great honeymoon.....sometimes it is the only chance you get to have a great trip without the worries of money, kids, etc.

TX Chef Fran
Old 05-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Jeannie

Hi! There are 100 guests invited, so if we can count on half then there will be 50 or so attending.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

mjsjtjcj

give me all the info... how many guests...?

where will the cooking take place...?
If at home.. how many ovens available with relatives....

where is the wedding being held.. and if at a hall .. are the kitchen facilities available to you......

and...what do you want to serve?
Chicken
Roast
Turkey
Ham
casseroles
veggies
breads
or all of the above, buffet style....
along with Salads......
Is someone baking the cake or are you purchasing?
how about ice cream?
What about beverages....? wine? beer? soda? iced tea? lemonade? water? coffee ? milk??

you'll need good rigid disposable plates and cutlery....

and if I can suggest, to make it fun, perhaps not too formal....ya know? We have had weddings with guests in jeans and nice shirt and I tell ya it was the best fun.......

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-01-2003, 01:54 PM
Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Groupie

mjsjtjcj

Quote:
Hi! There are 100 guests invited, so if we can count on half then there will be 50 or so attending.
Just to clarify. Are there actually 100 people invited, or was it 100 invitations? I did a cake for a friend and she was planning on 150 people. Then she happened to mention the 150 invites and I made sure she realized that each invite is generally for TWO people. :-) We doubled the cake size.

This is the cake for 300 people.
Attached Images

"Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements."
- Marcel Boulestin

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 05-02-2003, 12:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I cut a lot of corners with my wedding. We let everyone have about a week's notice that we were going to do the ceremony. We got married on top of a mountain, right out on the cliff part. So it was a free place. (no charge). My dad did the ceremony (he's a minister) so there was no charge there either. We had all our friends take pictures (they're not professionals, but it doesn't matter to us). We did a pot luck type of reception at a local park over looking a large lake (which was free as well).

We even went to dinner that night at a local resteraunt (we took a cab), and because we were still in our "dressy" clothes from the wedding, the cab driver gave us the ride for free. (I think we even got a little discount on the meal because of it -- it's just a small local owned resteraunt though, so I wouldn't say it would happen to everyone)

I found my dress at the Salvation Army for about $10 a few days before the wedding. I so love that dress. It was perfect!!!

I'd say we only spend a total of maybe $100 dollars on the entire process. (From planning, to the cab ride home after dinner)!!

Talk about frugal.! :p

Although ours turned out so well, I don't think everyone should give their guests less than a week's notice! (It was very hectic - but the stress didn't last long)

Good luck, though, on the wedding!
Old 05-02-2003, 03:51 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello

My husband and i did our wedding on a budget -- we did not want to go 'into debt' to get married. We planned the entire affair in 2 weeks - and used the internet nearly exclusively to find info and book places.

We got married in a local historical village - gazebo, with great atmosphere...and the very small fee included our guests touring the outside of the park, and us using the park for photographs (outside the buildings etc)... our 'minister' was free... as is common in our religion.

we had around 30 people there... and the same # at the small reception... found a local restaurant with Great food and a small room for weddings... printed our own invitations, and for the gift we gave homemade ice-wine (with custom labels we did ourselves..)... the ice-wine was a gift from our parents...dj'd the wedding ourselves, my husbands parents gave the bonbon'eres --- little tiny plastic wine glasses with candy kisses in tulle... (to match the ice wine theme..) We gave out 2 disposable camera's per table for the guests -- rather than paying a photographer for the reception.. we just used the photographer for the ceremony -- and our relatives also took pictures then... using a laptop and mp3's queued up on 6 cds... and an 'usher' switched the cd's at the appropriate time -- we had 2 dance cds, and 4 dinner music cds... our dance music covered all the way from 1940's to 2000 -- and had some ethnic (greek, polish etc) music for our various guests... EVERY single guest at our wedding - from the eldest to the youngest danced to a least a couple of songs.

- and this one may sound odd - but we found a 'polite' way to request 'no gifts' as we had already a household made up (we had been together for 8 years...) we found out later that the guests were actually releaved not to have to try to think up a gift! -- and did not mind at all the request for currency . The ettiquette people may say its wrong - but in the real world, real people understand real lives... we had a very nice 'thank you' basket on the main table for the gifts. we put the gift money towards the small honeymoon in Niagara falls (which was just a 2 hour drive away for us )-- over a long weekend for 4 days..

See my site for the wedding section...
www.marylouswebtools.com

Or my husband's site for pictures of the wedding (which you can see doesnt look frugal)...
http://www.digitalgatehouse.com/weddingphotos.htm
we had MANY MANY compliments on the wedding and requests for info on how we did it!

Adieu!
ciara

Last edited by ciara; 05-02-2003 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I think you should make the cake, Marcia! *G*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi everyone!!

Boy I found this thread just in time!! My son and his girlfriend are getting married in Nov.!!

First--My DH and I got married very frugally--for a total of about $150.00!!

We had lived together for 6 months and had a little addition on the way--in our eyes-we were already "married" but we, of course, wanted to make it "legal". I bought a simple white dress from the local mall for about $25-30.00, DH wore a suit that he already had. The church and Priest cost about $65.00 and we gave the alterboy-$10.00. We had simple red rose and baby's breathe corsages and boutiners(spelling??) for our flowers and our bestman and bride's maid--- who just wore their own suit and dress. We didn't even think about having a cake so Ron and Becky ran to Krogers (a grocery store) and bought a white coconut cake with a cherry on top for our cake!! No honeymoon....my DH has asked several times if I regret not having a big wedding--the answer is NO!! I didn't need a big expensive wedding to marry my soulmate.....and just a few days ago--April 24th--we celebrated 22 yrs together!!!

Now for my DS and his wedding--V found her dress--absolutely gorgeous!! vintage 1960's on the internet for $55.00!! She told me she wasn't sure if she wanted it or not--I told her for that price--buy it--if you decide you don't like it--you can always resell it---it did need some alterations but the total cost should be under $100.00--and it looks so beautiful on her-she also found a vintage veil on line but I'm not sure how much. Since M and V are both in the Army--M is going to have my DH's dress blue uniform jacket altered for him and he will have to buy new pants for about $35.00. Not bad--bride and groom both dressed for less than $200.00!!! and I see them both looking so beautiful/handsome!!

Their cake is being made by a friend of a friend for about $100.00---flowers from Giant Eagle--not sure of the cost as she hasn't picked her flowers yet but MUCH cheaper than a florist. Pictures being taken by a friend of a friend who is a professional wedding photographer--great discount promised. Most of the decorations are going to be "home made". The reception is going to be at a local fire hall, rehersal dinner is tentively going to be at a little mom and pop restaurant with fantastic italian food and very cheap prices. Biggest cost at this time will be the catering but as a wedding gift a family member will put $1000.00 toward it!! rest of the cost should be less than $500.00!! The only pending thing is the DJ--not sure what they are planning and if they are going to have alcohol at the reception. They are planning a honeymoon in Colorado Springs---so they can snowboard!!!!! My DH was teasing them that they would both end up in bodycasts on the wedding night!! I don't think they are doing too bad!!

Oh-by the way--Jose--LOVE the ideas for the children at the reception--very resourceful!! I don't think there will be very many kids at M & V's wedding---just M's 4 yr old brother and maybe 2-3 more but I WILL keep your ideas in mind!! Could be a lifesaver-you know a group of kids in a "formal" situation--never know what might happen!!!
Old 05-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

i WISH we had this thread 6 months ago, our daughter's wedding was on April 5th, and we did it on quite a shoestring. The theme was oriental, the colors were red, gold, and black. We got her gown off the clearance rack at David's Bridal, we bought invitations online (MUCH cheaper and faster). We made our own centerpieces from baskets and silks from the Goodwill and spray paint and half-price discounted trim from day-after-Chinese-New-Year sales in Chinatown shops. We also did the disposable cameras on the tables, but we are blessed to have amongst our friends a professional photographer, the owner of a florist shop, a former professional cake-maker, and a karaoke DJ. We got the cake and music for a fraction of the regular cost, the photography and the flowers were wedding gifts to the couple. We found so many bargains out there, just by looking. A local clothing store turns out to have tux rentals we didn't know about, for less than half what most tux places charge. Plus they do personalized ceramic keepsake boutonnieres for.. get this.. $1.50 each! We were originally going to have an early morning service and a brunch buffet, but you have to stay flexible on weddings, and things didn't work out, we ended up at a lovely site that cost us more but worked out better. For a wedding with full meal/two entrees, all decorations, we came in under $4K, with 130 guests.

Several things that we got flexible on: dressing 4 totally different body-types of bridesmaids (we got red/gold silk chinese blouses and let them provide a black skirt of their own). the decor... well... she asked people to give them decorations for shower gifts, so that decorated the hall and then afterwards, it now decorates their home, which is done in all oriental style. the food, I'm sorry to say, wasn't that good. I think it would have been much better if we'd done it ourselves. The hall was at a Best Western Hotel, and they let us have the ceremony outside at a gazebo on the lake, they put out chairs and decorated that for nothing extra. They also provided all the indoor floral decor (see the arch) for nothing extra, apparently they have it all already done up. And they gave a discount to out of town guests who stayed there, which was a considerable number of people.

A lot of folks took digital pix and my nephew put his on a website, so you might enjoy seeing this. http://alien.ripcon.net/wedding/

In my husband's family, they started a nifty tradition. Hubby is one of 4, and everyone's kids are coming up to this age, my daughter being the first to get married. So his 3 siblings split the cost of the rehearsal dinner. And when each of the kids gets married, the other 3 siblings will split the cost for that. Am I making sense? When A's kid gets married, B, C and D will pay for the rehearsal dinner. Then when B's kid gets married, A, C and D will. Our rehearsal dinner was at a Chinese buffet restaurant near the hotel, it was perfect!

We also threw a brunch on Sunday morning, for family only. It was perfect, because it was like a wind-down farewell event. We had guests from Florida, California, Oregon, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Georgia, North Carolina, Hawaii,and I can't remember where else. There were people there who haven't seen each other in 30-40 years. There were family members who'd never met. In the months before this wedding, we had three deaths in the family, and people were ready to gather for something to celebrate.

Don't lose sight of that purpose!
People won't remember what they ate or drank, what was worn or not worn, but they will remember that they laughed and toasted and celebrated and loved, and that costs very little.

Rani
P.S. My outfit came from eBay... that's me in the wheelchair.