Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 04-30-2003, 01:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hummm where do I start....lol...We got married at the church with all the fixings, not much expense there. As far as the reception, We had our reception at this beautiful park (with pavillion just in case it did rain) that we rented for 50 dollars...We had our wedding at 11am and reception at 1pm until dusk....We had it catered with everything that we could just clean up and throw away, we had a friend of the family do the cake which cost us about 100 bucks, then my hubby's cousin did our flowers which cost us very little. The reception was the best because everybody was dressed nice for church...left there everybody changed into shorts, we had a live band which was 200 dollars, we played volleyball, and just all and all kicked back and had a great time with all of our family and friends. My hubby and I have been married almost 11 years and everybody still talks about the blast that we had!!! I think our total for everything ended up being around 1300 dollars including my dress, tux...just everything....

A day we will never forget!:
http://mommyis.stayinhomeandlovinit.com
Old 04-30-2003, 01:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

one more thing

Oops, the one frugal thing I did that I wish I hadn't was to hire a photographer that does beautiful work but was just starting to do weddings. Saved me money, but caused alot of heartache in the long run. Even though I gave her a list of shots to get, she wasn't good at working under pressure, gettting people lined up, etc. She only shot in B&W for the ceremony and they all turned out bad. She over-exposed a whole roll of film, so we don't have pictures from his whole side of the family. Also, since she wasn't every experienced, I basically had to put my album together myself--she provided the album cover, but wasn't alot of help in picking images and gave us too many options so it became confusing rather than providing solid recommendations.

We did end up with all of the negatives so we could get copies of whatever we wanted though.

I recommend only using a photographer that has alot of experience with weddings.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

When my son and daughter in law were married, they decided they didn't want a "hall" wedding... and we agreed.

The bride's father supplied the house... a huge huge house ....
There were 150 guests.. and I did the cooking....

For meat:
30 chickens,
70 lbs of roast beef
25 lbs of ham
and 35 lbs of turkey
50 lbs shrimp for shrimp ****tail

20 lbs of baked ziti
20 lbs of fettuccine Alfredo
4 cheese cakes
100 cannoli

The Bride's mother supplied.... the salads...
swedish meatballs
egg rolls
marinated mushrooms
potato salad
cole slaw
olive, celery and radish trays
all the beverages...sodas, wines bottled waters, tea and coffee
and the wedding cake

My part was approximately $1100.00
Her Mom spent about the the same..
Her Dad supplied the house and the Champagne and the flowers, rented the tables and linens and dishes and the DJ.

The Bride made the dresses, her dress and the favors.

So for under $4000, we did a 25 thousand dollar wedding...

Friends helped to serve, we did it buffet style....
We did the video taping ....and friends did the photography with still cameras........
It turned out splendidly!

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 04-30-2003, 02:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

REHEARSAL DINNER IDEAS

MY SON MARRIED A YEAR AGO AND IT WAS A FRUGAL BUT ELEGANT REHEARSAL DINNER THAT WE GAVE HIM.
-A FRIEND IN OUR CHURCH PREPARED THE MEAL FOR 30 PEOPLE FOR $10 A PLATE.
-MY SISTER AND I DECORATED THE HOSPITALITY ROOM IN OUR CHURCH (IT WAS FREE TO RENT); WE BORROWED BLACK TABLECLOTHS FROM THE CHURCH SCHOOL; I TOPPED THE BLACK TABLECLOTHS WITH WHITE LACE TABLERUNNERS I GOT AT A LOCAL DOLLAR STORE; ON TOP OF THAT WAS A SMALL FLOWER ARRANGEMENT OF SILK ROSES; AROUND THAT WAS VOTIVE CANDLES AND WE SCATTERED CLEAR MARBLES AND WEDDING BELL CONFETTI AROUND THE CENTER OF THE TABLE.
-THE GROOMS TABLE WAS THE LARGE DINING ROOM TABLE - IT HAD A BEAUTIFUL TABLERUNNER ON IT THAT WE LEFT ON IT; I FOUND A BEAUTIFUL IVORY TWO-TIERED ROSE ARRANGEMENT AND PLACED IT IN THE CENTER OF THE TABLE; IT WAS FLANKED BY STERLING SILVER CANDLEHOLDERS WITH IVORY CANDLES.
-A FRIEND OF MY PRINTED THE PLACE CARDS AS A GIFT
-A CHILD'S TABLE WAS PREPARED FOR THE CHILDREN IN THE WEDDING; I USED THINGS FROM MY HOME (LACE TABLECLOTH, BANDANAS (FOR THE CENTER OF THE TABLE); AN ICE CREAM SUNDAE BOUQUET ARRANGEMENT WAS THE CHILD'S CENTERPIECE; BUBBLEGUM WAS SCATTERED AROUND THE CENTERPIECE. ON THE BACK OF EACH CHILD'S CHAIR WAS A SAND BUCKET FILLED WITH SMALL GAMES, COLORING BOOKS AND OTHER SMALL ITEMS;THEY WERE TIED TO THE CHAIR WITH SILK RIBBON. THE CHILDREN EACH HAD A PAPER PLACE MAT THAT HAD THE BRIDE & GROOM'S NAME, DATE OF WEDDING AND THEIR NAMES IN LARGE PRINT; THERE WAS A LARGE PLACE TO DRAW AND COLOR; A SMALL BOX OF CRAYONS WAS ON THE SIDE OF EACH PLACEMAT. THE CHILDREN'S PARENTS WERE SEATED NEAR THE CHILD'S TABLE.
-THE COFFEE TABLE IN THE HOSPITALITY ROOM WAS LADEN WITH CHILDHOOD PICTURES OF THE BRIDE AND GROOM; VOTIVE CANDLES WERE PLACED ON THE COFFEE TABLE.
-THE BUFFET TABLES WERE DECORATED WITH A CERAMIC ANGEL, SMALL GLASS GLOBES WITH FLOATING CANDLES (THEY HAD SILK RIBBONS TIED AT THE BASE THE FLUTED EDGE OF THE LIP OF THE GLOBE); A SMALL TABLE HELD THE DRINKS FOR THE MEAL AND A LARGE OVAL SHAPED PRETTY TUB HELD ICE FOR GUESTS TO SERVE THEMSELVES; A GARLAND OF FLOWERS WAS AROUND THE TABLE.
-I ASSUME I SPENT ABOUT $500.00 ON THIS REHEARSAL DINNER AND IT WAS ELEGANT AND FRUGAL AND HAD A CUSTOM FEATURE WITH THE CHILD'S TABLE.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

If you shop around it can be done. Check out your local dollar store for decorations and paper supplies. You might also check out the Oriental trader. They have a catalog and website (orientaltrader.com). They sell items in mass and have wedding decorations, place cards, favors, etc. A friend is using bubbles on the tables (small bottles of bubble solution that you can decorate or are already decorated), because we can't use rice or birdseed. They also have oher novelty items (She is considring a bubble machine also). If you can do all of your own flower arrangements or have a friend/relative that can do it you will save a lot.
The key is to shop around and watch for sales.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I got remarried two years ago , It was a frugal wedding I did all the flower agrangements my self, I had an arch that I ordered from a discont catalog for 14.99. My brother-in-law now, made little wooden stand for it , which was just a small cut of 2x4 with holes drilled to fit the legs, I glued green styrofoam to the wood and green moss and decorated it with the flowers of our clorors whitch happen to shades of purple and lavander, without just choosing one particular flower it made it easer to decorate.. the arch was decorated with wisteria , I used iris , roses all silk flowers bought from the dollar tree, and walmart, I used baskets with green silk vinary and added flowers, Pue decorations were easy I bought metal umbrellas at the dollar max for a dollar a peice stuffed floral foam inside and decoreted to ribbon and flower and hung on each pue, reception was at the church down stairs, my friends all choose a dish to fix, A friend of mine who decorates cakes done my weeding cake for 75.00. Another freind of mine has photography for a hoppy and she did our wedding pictures for the wedding gift. They were great, better than professional and most of the shots were not stiff and poised. Family done the video we had two diffrent views and edited them together ourselfs and they our great. I had brides maids and flower girls I bought ther dress from Sears catalog, with my cloros incorperated . Flower girsl dress from walmarts at sale price, The thing that cost the most were the tuxes, but in a way we made out good there because one of my husbands sons also had a prom that night so that tux served to purposes , It was fun to do but I suggest that you start early so that your not rushed for decorations, Oh yes I made my own bouquet and the bridesmaids bouque, there were fantastic, its not that hard just research and look at lots of magizines then decide what you want and stick to it because it is easy to get side tracked from your original ideal, once you get into it.;-)
Old 04-30-2003, 04:29 PM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am looking for the same type of information, but for a 50th wedding anniversary for my in-laws. We are having a small vow renewal and a reception. I bought invitations on sale at a small town 5 and dime type store....50 cents for a pack and they are Halmark. Good Deal! I also found a cute miniture tea set at a garage sale for 50 cents. It looks brand new and my 2 and 5 yr. old sons will give that to them for a gift. I am a scrapbooker so I am making a guestbook/picture album as a gift for them. We have not decided if we will have veggie/meat/cheese trays or just cake and punch. Of course we are trying to keep the cost down because my husband and I are paying for the whole thing by ouselves. We rented a local community building also, which was $60.00, but the party will be late August so it will be very hot in Iowa....mother-in-law doesn't handle heat well, so we had to have it in air conditioning. Anyway, any suggestions would be great!

Regarding saving money for weddings......husband and I were married 9 yrs. ago, but I bought my dress at a consignment store for $300.00, which saved me several hundred dollars! Also, bought the bridesmaides dresses from JCPenney sale book. Start planning and buying early and watch for sales!
Old 04-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

mjsjtjcj

For how many people???

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 04-30-2003, 06:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The ficus tree story is one of my favorites as well. You guys be sure to post some wedding pictures at this link

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=6711

heck I hope I did that right. If not it is in teh Holidays section under weddings and wedding pictures.

TX Chef Fran
Old 04-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Frigul Wedding

A frugel wedding. Yup, I can attest to that one. My brothers wedding was at least 10 grand. Mine? 3 grand. Yup, 3,000 smackeroos. I got myself fitted thru JC Penney and my attendants as well. The men? I fitted the groom and best man in a double breasted and the grooms men in single. They bought the suits on their own. The flowers? All silk. I found a woman who worked out of her home. We rented our apt clubhouse, kept it under 100 people and had it catered. Most were people who worked out of their homes. It was an hor dorve reception. O the photographer? Took pictures, developed them, did the albums and get this, gave us the negatives. I have them to this day. I made my own copies and didn't go thru those jerks who rip you off. Look around and ask around.
I will do a few things differently with my daughters wedding, but I won't pay a cent more then what we paid for ours. Can be done and you can use the money you save to have a better honeymoon. Right? There is a book, I have it around here somewheres, but I think its called the Frugel Wedding or something. I'll look for it. Great book. Good luck and have fun!
O by the way, we will be celebrating our 10 year next month! Pays to shop I guess.