Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 02-25-2002, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle favorite frugal thing to do

One of my favorite frugal things is starting my "Christmas shopping" right on January. I just love having all the time to plan the right gift to every person! And I have 12 entire months to look out for bargains, to recycle, or even to make it! Feals great!:p I also prepare birthday gifts the same way: I start thinking about it long before it's due. and I always keep a list of ideas to offer my daughter "new"( the ones I never heard of until then...) friends on birthdays. It just keeps my creative vein alive, and saves me a lot of $$$ ;-)
Besides, people love their gifts, 'cos they see they were carefully planed, and can't even imagine how much they cost and how fun it was to make them!
Fatima
Old 02-25-2002, 06:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I guess I would have to say my favorite Frugal Thing I do is cooking and baking from scratch! I just love to cook and I love new recipes. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I can place a hearty home cooked meal on the table for my family for very little money.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I enjoy Christmas shopping all year long too. Target's clearances are great for this!!! I also enjoy being able to get movies for free from the library and books and magazines too.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I try to stock up on things that I really need when they are on sale and I have coupons. I also buy gifts using online coupons as well.

Last year I bought $879 worth of gifts for only $300.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well one thing I do is crochet. I have made baby blankets, throws, bed- afgans, table runners in different themes for everyday and holiday use. I also do needlepoint which is great for candy dishes, little towns for Christmas decorations, ornaments...I just make up a pattern, the ones in the store cost too much. I like to print recipies off of the web which saves on buying a cookbook. If we have a day off on a Saturday, I want to go out and hit all the yard sales.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

One of my fav's is finding somthing for free or half price. I can't believe how excited I get when I get a coupon for something that I can use for free! That welcome lady sure help a lot!
Old 03-14-2002, 10:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have used coupons but here lately it seems I have been forgetting. I'm not that far in my frugality yet but I'll get there.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I would have to agree with kahana, getting movies and magazines from the library FREE is near the top of my list. I also get a thrill out of getting free items at the grocery store with double coupons.

Our family has a movie night every Friday with a video borrowed from the library and homemade popcorn. We usually splurge on some soda, but this week I got a 2-liter Coke FREE with a coupon. Yipee!!
Old 03-30-2002, 06:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I get a kick out of hanging laundry to dry. Preferably outside but when it is too cold or rainy then I hang stuff in the basement.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

mine is to be able to hang out the laundry almost all the time, because of the climate here, it is nice to do this most of the year round. Except today, it is raining! LOL.
I have begun to use half washing powder and softener and it is great to see them last twice as long with no effect on the washing (gee we do get ripped off sometimes eh?)
I love cooking from scratch, I am re learning the art, I used to do it all the time!