Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 10-26-2013, 11:56 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by mom
I then put them through the manual wringer, and hang the clothes on the rack
I love the process of hanging laundry! So relaxing... almost therapeutic... and then there is the aesthetic quality about it, too. So timely and classic.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Miss Money Penny, I love hanging clothes on the clothes line too. I like the process of doing laundry as a whole as you can see the accomplishment when you are done. Clothes dried on a clothes line always smell so fresh.

~Mother Theresa

Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm with you, Sammi1961!

While I immensely enjoy the actual hanging/pinning process of line-drying, I think I enjoy the look even better! There's just something so old-fashioned about it. Soothes my inner spirit!

When my kids were babies and I'd hang their diapers on the line, nothing made me feel more mom-like, than going outside and pulling down a fresh diaper or two off the clothesline to change someone's bottom!

I still remember staying with grandparents (as a young child) and everything always smelled line-fresh!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I used to hang clothes to dry, and loved the smell of the sheets, and how much whiter they seemed to be. Even remember hanging clothes in the bathroom when there was no clothes line outside, or it was raining.

in fact remember at one time in my life when the kids were small, and we didn't have a washer, I would wash the clothes in the bathtub.. like the pioneer ladies would do back in those days. Clothes came out clean. Tubs these days are way to small to do that. LOL

I didn't care for the line dry jeans, and tops, as it would bother my dry skin to much, but the sheets and pillow cases, oh what a good night sleep I would get.. just something about it.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:04 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When my last two were babies, I bought a wooden clothes-drying rack as a backup means of drying... Ideal for when it was raining out and for those days when a place for drying overflow was needed. Worked great for drying/hanging rubber pants during the cooler months when I couldn't dry them on the line.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have found that washing my clothes by hand has made the clothes come out cleaner. Don't really understand why since I was under the impression that a washer was suppose to do a better job. But, I love the whole process of hand washing and using the wringer and letting them dry by the fan.

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm a firm-believer in the idea, that most everything old-fashioned, is almost always better.

I still wash a few things by hand on occasion, and somehow I, too, always feel as though things come out more clean and fresh. Maybe it's the extra care and TLC that's put into the handwashing process.

And of course, if it's hand-washed, it has to be line-dried. The two go so well together.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My top frugal things would be:
Shopping with coupons and ads, using SavingStar for "cash back" shopping https://savingstar.com/how_it_works
Shopping used first (garage sales, thrift stores, swap meets, etc), then clearance racks
Hanging clothes to dry, using 1/2 the "recommended" amount of detergent, and vinegar for the softener
Submitting for online Freebies
Recycling pop cans for $$
Making cleaners
Making gift baskets from freebies and items I've bought during the year for pennies

Roberta
Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yep! I agree, thrift shopping is great and frugal, and one of my de-stressers. LOL!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

RobertaD... I'm with you on the thrift store/yard sale/garage sale shopping! I do regular drop-ins to our thrift stores (year round), and yard sales/garage sales throughout the summer... and always enjoy the atmosphere, and because you never know what you will find, there's always a sense of excitement beforehand.