Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 04-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've heard so many people say they can't hang their clothes to dry because they live in an apartment or their HOA won't let them have a clothes line. Yes you can hang your clothes to dry but you have to be creative about it. Using a drying rack is a great idea. Putting a tension rod ( shower curtain rod) in a door way is also a great way to make space to hang clothes. If you have a hall you can zig zag a clothes line with bungee cord and some "s" hooks AND use the tension rods as well. You can also hang clothes in the bathroom on the shower curtain rod or put a drying rack in the bathtub with a small fan to help dry the clothes faster. If you live in a place with a garage, you can set up your drying racks or hang clothes on hangers and hang them from the garage door thingy.

Those are just some of my idea's.

Zig
Old 04-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I love cooking from scratch.

Yard sales, thrift stores.... love them!

Trash to treasure large and small items for my family.

I know this will surprise you but I love sewing! LOL

Using coupons.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This is going to sound funny but today after hanging my laundry on the clothes line to dry I sat on my little side deck in the sunshine, ate an orange and read my library book. I was entertained and fed for free! Can't get any better than that.

~Mother Theresa

Old 04-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird
I love cooking from scratch.

I know this will surprise you but I love sewing! LOL

Using coupons.
I envy anyone who cooks from scratch, unfortunatly I'm not one of those people. I can make Hamburger Helper stretch by add stuff to it. If it's chilimac I add more pasta to, a can of diced tomatoes, and maybe a can of corn. I do the same thing with the other HH, but I might only add more pasta to it. I love Garlic shrimp or Chicken so I add more veggies to them after I open the bag.

As for Sewing, because of our tiny place and my child I handsew and do small items. Handsewing an item makes it easy to stop and start at a moments notice when I need to and I can take the project with me when I need to.

Zig
Old 05-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My favorite frugal thing is saving and washing aluminum pans from takeout, to transport cookies in.

http://adventureswithtootsandtheninja.blogspot.com/

Be quite sure that God will bless you and that the depths of your sufferings will be matched by the consolation reserved for you.

St. Therese of Lisieux
Old 05-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh, and I like baking the cookies from scratch, also.

http://adventureswithtootsandtheninja.blogspot.com/

Be quite sure that God will bless you and that the depths of your sufferings will be matched by the consolation reserved for you.

St. Therese of Lisieux
Old 10-25-2013, 04:08 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Clothesline drying... and when my kids were babies, cloth diapering.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Oh miss money penny, how about the smell of pillows and blankets and sheets at night when they have been airing out in the sunshine all day!

My favorite thing is to use a paper bag for our paper recycling. I keep it by the kitchen trash can and it gives me great pleasure to put the catalogs I get in the mail in there immediately. That way I am not tempted and I am doing the environment a better service. I guess if I cancelled the cats that would be even more frugal, huh? ! LOL!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 10-25-2013, 09:14 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by ellenmelon
Oh miss money penny, how about the smell of pillows and blankets and sheets at night when they have been airing out in the sunshine all day!
Yes, yes, yes! Line-drying is definitely a hobby-horse of mine!

I'm gathering you, too, are a line-dryer, ellenmelon?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I suppose I have a number of favorite frugal things, but since my washer and dryer are not usable anymore and I am too cheap to spend the money to get them fixed, I am forced to hand wash the laundry. I then put them through the manual wringer, and hang the clothes on the rack with a fan running to help dry them.

Blessings,
Dawn