Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 03-01-2002, 06:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We pay a flat fee every month based on the average use for the year before: Electricity=$100.00 a month, sounds high I know but in summer we will probably use around $220 a month and still be paying only $100 (high humitity area 80 feels like 100plus), also we have well water, so electricity runs the pump.
Gas=$70.00 a month. We have a 1000 gallon tank, so when it did need to be filled it would be well over $500.

We try to keep the utilities down by:
1. Using no air or heat in the spring and fall, and keeping thermostat set around 67 in winter and 75 in summer. Also, I use the oven (which is gas) to cook dinner every evening in winter which helps warm the house after the sun goes down. In the summer I use the grill and crock pot for all my dinners so the house doesn't heat up.
2. Hanging laundry - some hang straight from washer, others dry partly on low then hang. Hanging straight from washer usually takes 12-15 hours to dry(in house). When I do have to use dryer. I wash 2-3 loads, hang majority and then combine the rest for one dryer use.
3. Also we have hot water heater, which is electric for now (going to gas soon hopefully), on a timer. 5a.m. it comes on,9a.m. off. 5p.m. on, 9.pm. off. It only takes about 1 hour to heat all the water to max temp., but can be used within 30 mins. These times cover when showers, baths and dishes are being done. I only use cold water for laundry. So, far I have never run out of hot water between the times, but if I do all I have to do is press a button and it resets itself automatically.
4. I never leave the water running while I'm doing dishes, brushing teeth, or taking a shower. Only turn on to start and then again to rinse.
5. We use no extra lights during the day except to see in closets and bathroom while using those areas and a lamp for reading. In the evening, we keep the light minimal to the area we occupy, turning off as areas change. We even installed lower light switches in my childrens rooms, so they can turn off their own lights, which they do consistantly.
Old 03-01-2002, 07:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ok, I just turned off 12 lights and the old computer. I am home by myself so I don't have anyone to blame. We have a big house that is all electric. It is a big bill and I feel encouraged to work on it.
Old 03-01-2002, 07:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I wish I had bills like you guys
We conserve power very well, I think no extra lights left on, shutting things off when not in use, tv, stero, computers......Have draft stoppers in place, hang laundry, make sure the oven is full when cooking, don't use the dry feature on the dishwasher.
Power 125/ month at least sometimes as high as 156
oil 260/ month
Now the oil company does owe me $249.63.
I also pay for the power in the basement apt. ( all incl. down there).
Our power company here just bought out another company and is giving them a 10 % discount and ours is going up by 10 % so the power bill is just going to keep getting higher
Old 03-01-2002, 07:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My biggest savings (on gas) has simply been to turn the thermostat down to 60 (65 when it's really cold).

For electricity, our bill has gone down since we stopped using the engine block heater on the car.

Both bills have gone down significantly with just those two changes.
Old 03-02-2002, 01:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am Game
Jan: Gas $137
Elec $58
Feb: Gas $127
Elec $50
At least it is going the right direction but I am sure that is because we have had some warm days

Things We do to conserve energy are:
Turn off lights, Tv, Computer when not in use
We live in an old farm house that was not insulated or had new windows SO......
Wach summer we try and replace some of the windows a few a time
We try to work on a room a summer/fall To gut the room and insulate and sheet rock
Replace a Old 7x10 Picture Window with a smaller dble pane Bay window
Any windows not replaced have storm windows and we place plastic on them
Bought a Programable Thermastat (really helps)
Only Wash clothes in cold water unless they need Hot
Hang out clothes on clothesline or place on clothes bars inside
Upstairs needs work for insulation so we keep door leading upstairs closed
Insulated Drapes at windows upstairs
Limit Showers

I have a family of six so some of these things are HARD to do with kids but we all try.
Hope these few things have helped

Sue
Wife to Bob
Mom to 4
Old 03-13-2002, 09:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

WOOOHOOOO!!! Drum Roll Please.........

Last month Electric- $97.37

This month Electric- $72.68

Looks like I'm heading in the right direction!
Old 03-13-2002, 09:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You go girl!
Old 03-14-2002, 06:57 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

WOW! Big difference!
Old 03-14-2002, 11:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We live in apartment and the fireplace is gas so........ We try not to use it or the heater. We have the oil lamps that hang on the wall all over the house. They not only give off light but they knock the chill off as well. During the summer we almost have to use the airconditioner.... it gets over 100 degrees here .
Old 04-18-2002, 06:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow I am getting good at this energy reducing thing!

Last month $ 72.68

This month $ 67.00

And alas just when I think I know what I'm doin mother nature steps in and slaps me with hot muggy temps and I'm gonna have to break down and turn on the air (my dogs can't handle this heat)