Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 03-17-2003, 05:09 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lalu--that's how I clean my toilet, too. Once a month or so I use Comet--generally I use bleach, but Comet makes like a paste so it sits there. I use it in the tub, too.

I'd be a bit leary of running Tang through my dishwasher(if I had one). If it's strong enough to remove hard water, can you imagine what it's doing to your stomache? It's probably the citrus, cutting thru the mess lol!!
Old 03-17-2003, 05:59 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

If you tink tang is harmful to your'e insides, imagine what coca-cola does, they say if you have left over flat coke, to pour it on the oil spots in your drive-way and it will eat it away!!! I have never tried it, so don't know if it really works!!!

Karen
Old 03-17-2003, 08:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Tang & Coke

Good morning all, well glad I don't drink either of them lol. but sure a good way to clean something I guess.

Will have to remember the Comet idea tho' will do it on guest bathroom before I go to bed that way it will sit all nite and have better chance at working. Rather than Judy, Adam, IMP and myself using it left and right while we are down stairs. Gina as a rule uses the one off her room. But at nite the rest of us use the main one up in the hallway. NOW when I can try the Comet idea on that toilet is a big ? . But will try it.

Hope all are having a good day. God bless
Old 03-17-2003, 12:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Coke and Tang

I know what you mean about coke and what it can do -- I can't drink the stuff anymore!

It does work well as a marinade for really tough cuts of meat, like brisket or pot roasts. Sounds bizarre, but it actually tastes good! And it makes the meat really, really tender. You have to make sure you don't cover it with tin foil, though, as the coke reacts with the foil and that can't be good...

I'm leary about running Tang through the dishwasher, too... My mom runs vinager through hers, and through the coffee maker, and it works pretty well. I guess Tang would smell better than vinager, though!
Old 03-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

vinager versus tang lol

Yes I use vinagar too in coffee maker and also dishwasher as well as some times baking soda. I clean the inside of fridge with baking soda too.

Hope everyone is having a nice day it has been cloudy all day here but no rain YET and is warm.

More later friends oh made dinner easy on myself tonite bought frozen chicken already cooked just have to heat up in oven making egg noodles with sour cream and butter and a veggie.

oh almost forgot bought the large bottles/jugs of washing liquid that sells for 2.99 and got it for 1.99 so got two of them. Pretty good savings I think. Okay now going for real.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Peachy Angel

You really like the Dollar General brand of the OxyClean? I, too, have been tempted, but, was wary. I bought an off brand at walmart, and it did not dissolve very well.

Thanks so much for the tip. I add about half a scoop to my laundry, it really brightens up the whites and darks, too.

A frugal flop of mine is buying the Hytop brand of cheese. ALways tears my stomach up, although it pains me to have to pass on it, it was on sale, a very good price last week, but, I did pass, and therefore, stayed out of the bathroom!

Be blessed all...
Beckie
Old 03-18-2003, 04:28 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

But just think, beckie...not only did you save $$ on the cheese, you saved $$ on the t.p., too!! Sorry--I couldn't help it!

About the Coke--I had a list once of all the stuff people use it for--like highway patrols that carry a case to clean up the blood after an accident. Or how if you put it on a steak the acid will cook it!! Lol--I stopped drinking Slurpees when I saw the damage they did to the drain pipe under our store once--all the runoff actually ate through a metal pipe!! The repair guy said the only places he ever saw that happen were places that sell FCB's. I figured it wasn't worth it and gave them up lol!!

Frugal flop for the day--I forgot about a load of laundry in the washer overnight. Now I have to re-wash it!
Old 03-18-2003, 04:52 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mrs Maniac

When I forget about my clothes in the washing machine, I throw them in the dryer with an extra dryer sheet. Not quit frugal, but beats rewashing them, saves water, and electric!!!!

Karen
Old 03-18-2003, 04:57 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm not even going to bother--it's just my cleaning rags. I'll just open the window so they can air out as they dry! I thought it was "real" laundry and couldn't believe I forgot about it. But I'm not worried about cleaning rags!
Old 03-18-2003, 05:01 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Definitely agree on that one!!!!

Karen