Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 02-26-2003, 05:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Here is my dd's recipe. We listed the steps in the order she does them and our comments. This almost makes it unnecessary to go out for Chinese.
Di

Aimee's Chinese Chicken

Start cooking your rice so it will be done when the chicken is done.

Defrost enough frozen chicken tenders to satisfy your needs or cut up fresh chicken breast in approx 1x1 inch pieces.

We also put a 1 pound pkg. of frozen broccoli and a 1 pound pkg. of frozen stirfry veggies in the steamer so they are done when the rice is done. (This takes about 30 min.)

Flour chicken pieces. Stir fry in vegetable oil and Szechuan Spicy Stiry Fry Sauce made by House of Tsang (available at Wal-Mart). You can add crushed red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper and more Stir Fry Sauce to achieve the spiciness you desire--we desire a lot. When chicken is cooked add water, powdered chicken boullion and cornstarch mixed together to make the gravy. You have to add enough to get the amount of gravy you want. Stir gently until it thickens and serve over the prepared rice.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

hello all am new to this board

I try to be frugal screw up lots (don't we all). Now never made home made soap USE to shave the pieces of soap left and use in washer. Worked okay but now just generally buy what ever is on sale or else those pretty large bottles that sell generally for $2.99 or thereabouts. I love Dollar General buy lots of "baggies" there storage, freezer, lunch etc. I make my grandsons lunch most of the time thus saving some dollars that the school would end up with lol.

I also buy things at Dollar Tree where everything is either a dollar or sometimes 2 for and even now and then 3 for. If you pay attention to what you are getting everything is fine.

I am PattiG live in Virginia, mom to 5, gran to 5 and one on the way YIPPEE! and great gran to 2. Widow since 95. Okay hope to make new friends here God Bless all
Old 03-15-2003, 01:09 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Patti and welcome!! I love going to Dollar General, especially since they accept coupons!! I made hm laundry soap once and didn't like it. So I also switched to a cheaper brand, but didn't like it, either. What works best for me is just using less of the Tide that I buy, on sale and with a coupon lol!! I like Dollar stores, too, but tend to avoid them. "It's only a dollar" has added up to way too much stuff a lot of times!! But I go in periodically--mainly for picking up small X-mas gifts and kids' b-day party stuff so when the time comes to use it, I don't go into shock at the prices in a regular store!!
Old 03-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

MrsManiac

Thanks for the welcome. SO far I have no gripes about the cheaper soap for washing I generally get the liquid stuff. BUT if I have a coupon will buy the better stuff.

Do you go on any of the other boards? Oh I love yard sales too and most likely will have one before summer ends (if it ever starts).

What part of Mi are you in I was born in Detroit but parents and g-mom only stayed there 8 weeks and then we went to Alabama.

God bless
Old 03-15-2003, 02:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hi everyone I am fairly new to this forum but saw this thread and knew I had to post lol. My name is Robin I am 23 yrs old and I live in North Ga. I LOVE Dollar General! I shop there for my laundry soap and I love their store brand of oxy clean. You get a big tub for only 5 bucks! Can't beat that unless it was free lol. Anyways I hope that I will be posting more here when I find some good buys!! Talk to yall soon!

Proud Member of Postcard Angels!!!
Proud Mother of Rebecca 1/14/1997
Proud Wife of Tony 7/7/1996
Old 03-16-2003, 06:33 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Patti--imo, I think the reason I have so many problems with cheaper soaps is because of our well water--even with the water softener there's still a lot of minerals!! I add baking soda to my laundry, and if I forget or run out, we can tell the difference!

Thanks for the info about the DG brand of Oxyclean, Robin. I keep looking at it, then talk myself out of buying it because if I don't like it, what would I do with it lol? Welcome to the boards--there's always something new to learn around here lol!!
Old 03-16-2003, 06:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

well water

MrsManiac yes that could very well be your problem. Do you have a dishwasher and has it turned orange from the well water. My friend in Pembroke Ga had that problem. Even her dishes were orange looking

I like DG a lot and as some one said even more so now that they take coupons. We got two booklets in todays paper. Have not checked them yet tho' to see if they are ones I really need/use.

Do any of you shop at Target? I did glance thro' their sale paper and it has 100 ounces of Tide for $5.00 that is the liquid one. The powder one are also on sale. It has a Dollar Day thing going on now.

Speaking of stores do any of you have a preference between Super K-Mart and Super Wal-Mart? I like them both but find that each has certain things the others don't.

What grocery stores do you prefer. Nosy ole gal aren't I? Well back to my coffee and paper and more later friends.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hi pag and peachey. I think I know ya'll from somewhere!!

I like to shop at the dollar stores too. and it's tide for me. never found anything better.

lately I've been getting some bad deals trying to buy frugally. and they have all come from piggly wiggly stores. so I'm going to have to watch what I get from them that's on sale. check the expiration dates and if I get bad stuff I'm going to quit being "nice" and start asking for my money back.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Rosebud

Yes I know you from another board not sure which one lol. I always loved Piggly Wiggly when I was home in Ga. I always check the sell by dates. Course some things are still good after that just have to be careful.

Take care
Old 03-16-2003, 11:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hard well water

Hi, all!

I've heard that running your dishwasher with Tang -- yes, TANG -- in the detergent cup will remove the hard water marks from inside your dishwasher. I haven't had to try it yet...

We have well water with a lot of iron and manganese in it, and it leaves red residue on the inside of the toilet. We coated the inside of the bowl with ajax or comet cleanser (the old-fashioned powder kind) and closed the lid and just let it sit for a while. When we scrubbed and flushed, the ajax powder had bleached a lot of the discoloration away.... We repeat this every so often, to stop the minerals and metals in the water from building up. Of course, it's easier to do this if you have more than one bathroom...

This link has a lot of hard-water tips! http://www.queenofclean.com/pubs/boo...g_excerpt.html

-- Lalu