Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What do you refuse to buy???

Hi, I would like to know what are some things that you refuse to purchase....for example, I refuse to buy paper napkins and always use cloth - I am sure it saves $$ and landfill space....I imagine there will a lot of useful and helpful ideas for others to think 'outside the box'.
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I refuse to buy any type of kitchen gadget that I can do the same thing with a knife or peeler, etc...
Example...those apple corers/peelers that attach to the counter....those dicers that chop onions....salad shooters that cut up vegies for salad.....

I have a friend who absolutely loves all those kitchen gadgets and we just laugh at each other!!!!

I don't own a dishwasher but then it's only my husband and I and we don't dirty a whole lot of dishes. I like washing the dishes by hand while looking out the window into the backyard.
peace,train
Old 01-17-2003, 02:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I refuse to pay over $2 for just about any food item. 2.49 is the most I will pay for meat a #. We eat alot of chicken and pork and pasta.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I hate to buy any clothing that needs dry cleaning. Between using all the chemicals, having to air things out, and the expense, it's really expensive to maintain. Unfortunately, living in NJ, sometimes you have to buy wool to keep warm !:p
Old 01-19-2003, 06:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am so happy to find this site...I also try to be very frugal. I hate spending money on things I put down a drain, or end up throwing away. Here are a couple ideas.

I use foil instead of dryer sheets. I fold up a piece of foil, (about 13" long into about a 5" square, and throw it in my dryer.
You can use them over 3-4 times. I haven't used softner in over 3 months now.

Like alot of people, I use white vinegar to clean with.

I cover cereal boxes with contact, and use to file my cooking mags, craft mags etc.

Cafe

Old 01-19-2003, 06:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I refuse to buy paper towels. I like paper napkins, though. I also refuse to buy anything at retail price that I can find in a thrift shop. They are my first stop when I need something. I shop at the Bargain Foods for my groceries and refuse to pay over $100 for groceries when I can get a cart full, overflowing, for $40- $70.
I refuse to buy kitchen gadgets that I don't need as I don't have any more room for any! My husband wanted to buy me a pasta pot for Christmas, saw it on TV. I have a strainer which does well with the spaghetti. Also, I have an insert for my soup pot which is a strainer. All I have to do is lift it out, no pouring of hot liquid into a strainer. I refuse to wait until Christmas to buy Christmas presents. All year, I buy them, a lot of them from the thrift shop, brand new, gifts people didn't like or many things old people save for some other day.They die with brand new things stashed away.
I refuse to buy convenience/processed foods. They are so bad for my health. Although I'm a senior citizen, my cholesterol is perfect with no medicine. I changed recently from white bread to 100% whole wheat. In 6 months, my cholesterol came down 50 points!
Old 01-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I don't buy Kleenex, I use toilet paper.

I don't use fancy cleaning products, I make my own with bleach, dishwashing powder, and water. BTW, never, ever mix bleach with ammonia...but you already knew that, right?

I won't buy frozen vegetables in any kind of sauce...I can make my own sauces here at home.

I don't buy expensive fabric softeners. At the Dollar Store, I bought a half-gallon of liquid softener, mix it half-and-half with water, and pour it on a washcloth that I throw into the drier. I figure this should last me close to a year, and when it runs out, I am going to try the aluminum foil trick.

And...I refuse to spend my money in a store that has rude, slow, and uninformed employees...a certain pharmacy chain in particular!!

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 01-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I refuse to buy things I don't like because they are a "bargain." I am frugal to a fault, but I wouldn't accept free jars of Miracle Whip.

I did my colors from "Color Me Beautiful" about 20 years ago, and I refuse to even look at clothes that aren't 'my colors.'

Like prior posters, I won't pay over $2/lb for meat, I clean with vinegar or diluted ammonia, no dry clean only clothes.

Rani
Old 01-19-2003, 09:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I refuse to buy any clothing that isn't second hand or a real steal! It has to be on clearance or something for me to even get to the rack ... LOL.

Last edited by KristinW; 01-26-2003 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:55 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I refuse to buy paper towels--I have tons of rags. (Dh is another story--he's the paper towel KING!). For the same reason, I won't buy scrubbie sponges. I haven't bought a cleaner in a long while--I use bleach, vinegar, and baking soda for most of my cleaning needs. I don't buy fabric softener. And I absolutely refuse to buy junk cereal for my kids! At over $3 a pop, it had better have some nutritional quality!

I'm slowly swinging dh into my way of thinking. I.e.--why pay$2.89 for a bottle of Clorox Cleanup, when we can mix a bleach/water solution for pennies, and it does the same job? He's getting there