Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:22 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Did you ever see at the hardware store they sell a box of rags??? can you even imagine? I always had lots of rags when my husband was aline from his old Tshirts...my son wears his til they are see through and not good for anything....I should really start trying again...it would be so economic...I like using old socks for some things
Ruth
Old 01-20-2003, 07:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Evidently I stand corrected about draining foods on newspaper, but I swear I read it in "The Tightwad Gazette," or some article somewhere on being frugal. But, think about this...don't the English wrap their fish and chips in newspaper when they sell them? I guess I could be wrong about that, too...after all, I'm not perfect...*GASP*...but I think I"ve read that somewhere, too. Anyway, I've used the newspaper trick in the past, with no obvious ill-effects to my family. The idea about draining on a rack came from one of the cooking shows on Food-TV...the logic behind it is that it keeps the food crisper, because it's not sitting on the paper that the grease drained on.

I don't buy real milk, because I have a problem with dairy products...they're not worth the discomfort they cause me. So if I want milk, I've been buying either soy milk or rice milk. Last week I found a recipe for homemade rice milk...sooooo easy, and from now on when I need milk, I'll just make my own. So now I can add rice milk to the list of things I won't buy.

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 01-21-2003, 02:31 AM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

jb829 ~

~ Joyce, Would you mind sharing your recipe for 'Rice Milk'? Thanx.....
Old 01-21-2003, 03:25 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've heard of draining chips on newspaper, but it's had at least a sheet or two of paper towel on it first so that the newsprint doesn't go onto the chips. It just means instead of having 2 or 3 sheets/squares papertowel you only need 1 or 2 you just use 1/2 the amount.
I think the chips that are 'wrapped' in newspaper from the shop have a sheet of greasefroof paper to stop the oil going through and the newspaper is only insulation so you don't burn yourelf.
That's how it is here anyway. Not many use newspaper here anymore.

Old 01-21-2003, 03:33 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Okay--so far this week, since I haven't bought a new scrubbie sponge or any paper towels, and refuse to let dh buy them either(that's the key, I think lol!!) we have saved about $6. Minus the water for having to wash the rags, but I can't imagine a load costing more than six bucks, especially since I line dried them!

My New Years' resolution was to cut back on most, if not all, of the waste that goes on in our home--more recycling, making sure compost-able stuff makes it to the bin, buying less disposable stuff, etc. It dawned on me the other day--when you buy disposable, you are throwing your money away!! Don't laugh--it took me a while to get that one lol! But when I think of how many paper plates, paper napkins, paper towels, diapers(use cloth now), wipes, etc I've bought just to throw away.... ad infinitum!!
Old 01-21-2003, 03:50 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oops! Forgot to mention it until I read Bilby's post--what we did in school was use a rack with the newspaper under it--stuff drained better and we could still just toss it out. Our instructor was big on not putting any grease at all down the drains. We even did it for chips, but it was tricky to keep then from falling through the rack. I now have a "rack" made of wire mesh that I use just for chips, fries, anything that needs to be "dumped." It was cheap to make, which is good, since I rarely use it lol!
Old 01-21-2003, 04:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This has been a really interesting and informative thread - thanks for all that responded and keep the answers coming! I would like to know also how to make rice milrice milk as mentioned in an earlier post.
One think I do find is that if you wait long enough, whatever you are looking for will eventually turn up in your price range. It is the "I need it now" mentality that is the big cost. We are pretty frugal but I see even some more ideas that I can utilize. One of the biggest frugal savers for me personally has been to use the public library. What a valuable resource! The librarian in my community now knows me fairly well (after 8 years of faithfully showing up once per week) and she even adds books to my hold basket that she thinks I might be interested in. Now that's service! I have explored everything from homemade mixes etc. to lots of wonderful Christian fiction, to several different hobbies. You never have to stop learning! Of course, regarding hobbies - you can buy lots of 'just started' craft supplies at yard sales etc.
I also pick up gifts year - round and keep a gift box under the bed and add to it as I pick up....Yesterday for example I picked up a lovely pottery mug for .49 cents at the Thrift store - that will be a nice gift with a package of homemade cookies. I already have my Christmas gifts planned for next year. I am making my own cookbook (simple with the computer and a printer, complete with notes on freezing, changes I make etc. and then photocopying and putting in an inexpensive binder) and including a 1/2 dozen different spice mixes (using watchmakers cannisters - available very reasonable at Lee Valley). Lots of possiblilities!
Old 01-21-2003, 06:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Rice milk

1 cup cooked, hot, white rice

4 cups hot tap water

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 tsp. sugar

Put rice in blender with 3 cups water. Liquify. Pour rice and water thru strainer into container. Add 1 cup water, vanilla, and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar, and to mix well. Done.

Oat Milk

1/2 cup whole or cut oats

warm water

Soak oats overnite in refrigerator. Put oats and water in blender plus more water to equal 3 cups. Blend-strain-refrigerate.

Oatmeal Milk

1 cup cooked oatmeal

1 quart water

Blend. Strain. Refrigerate. Can add 1tsp. sugar or brown sugar; pinch cinnamon; pinch salt; 1 tsp. vanilla

Ok, like I said, I haven't tried the rice milk yet, and frankly, I don't think I'd like the oat milks, but just thought I'd add them in. With the rice milk, for cooking biscuits or mashed potatoes, I don't think I'd add the vanilla, either, just the teaspoon of sugar. This could be a trial and error type of thing, I guess. If any of you make it before I do, let me know how it came out, ok?

Thanks for the information on the fish and chips, Bilby...makes sense. I've started using the rack fairly often now...altho I don't do a lot of frying anymore.

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 01-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm with you now on the chip thing Mrs Maniac. When cooking oven fry type of things I put them on a mesh rack in the oven so extra oil drips off onto a tray and food doesn't sit in the extra oven fry oil. No oil goes down our sink, it always goes into a jar sealed and thrown into the rubbish.
I refuse to buy label clothing for the kids, if they want it, it comes out of their own pocket money. Only ones buys his own and he has 2 labelled t-shirts, he's happy with that.

Old 01-21-2003, 01:42 PM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

jb829~ Thanks, so much for the milk recipes. They sound great. I'll let you know about them, after I've experimented. Thanx, again Joyce.