Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Assistant Moderator

I haven't bought paperproducts for over a year. Still using up the extras from mom's furneral. I make my napkins out of flour bags. We have a local mill and they still use cotten bags. Swiffer pads. I bought white, cheap washclothes and reuse them. A vaccuum that uses bags. I don't buy cleaners that only clean one thing. I make a grease cutter/germ killer and use it for almost anything. I do buy glass cleaner and powered cleanser. Almost never buy clothes 'new'. And never a full price. I won't buy a brand spanking new car. Ours are ten years old and look and run great. I do flat out refuse to buy from certain companies that do not support or abide by government labeling laws. With dd's food allergies I need to trust whomever I buy from. If I had it my way we would never buy or rent movies, they are on cable at some time..... I refuse to buy to 'keep up with the Jones'. Dislike people like that.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

herbs and spices

I refuse to buy tiny tins and bottles of herb and spices at the grocery, when at GFS or Sam's I can get a huge container for only2-3 times the price. I seal the extra in foodsaver bags to refill my kitchen containers with, and haven't noticed a loss of flavor
Old 01-04-2005, 04:17 AM

preacherswife

We buy our herbs from GFS too... I am so shocked at the prices of spices when I look on the store shelfs, it's outrageous! I used to have a distributor who sold in bulk, like 1 lb. of dried bell peppers for cheap, they lasted forever but when I drove by her business the other day I didn't see her sign.. will have to call her number and see if she moved. Now of course some would say you can grow and dry your own bell peppers but by the time you bought everything and chance on the weather conditions, for $5.00 I bought enough to last us 2 years.

Anna
Old 01-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Assistant Moderator

I refuse to buy my teenager their own car. Will not do it.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

And on that note Bluebird, dd1 will not be getting her own cell phone until she has a job to pay the bill with.
A lot of her friends have them-some even picture phones. Why does a 12-13 y.o. need all that???

**A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands**
Old 01-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Assistant Moderator

Ditto. A picture phone....? I don't even own one. I think at times we need to rethink the term 'need'. Food, clothing, shelter, medical care..... there are a lot of items the 'world' says we 'need' that just don't fit. Food. So what if it is pancakes once a week or two weeks? What is the problem in that? We have lots of nice cute clothes..........from thrift stores. I don't have a problem but I see more moms working two jobs so their kids can have a certain brand label on their jeans. What we are teaching our kids is so much more important.

Getting off my soapbox now.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

TeeHee, sneaky me

The last time I bought dd1 something at a 2nd hand store she was grossed out and refused to wear the clothes. I washed them very well, whats the difference between them and hand me downs?
Weeeelllllll the last time I was there I found 2 hoodies for her. One had the Aeropostale logo on it. Anything from that overpriced store is a must have on every tween/teen girls wish list. Also found one with the coolest Wrigley Field embroidered logo too (we are big Cubs fans).

She was happier than a pig in mud when she unwrapped them at Christmas time - maybe one day I'll tell her where they came from

**A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands**
Old 01-07-2005, 03:24 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Weelll...I'm torn on the cell phone idea. I know several younger kids out here that have them due to their family situations. I know I grew up without a cell phone and I turned out just fine...blahblahblah. Technology is meant to make our lives easier. That being said, we don't have one. Our lifestyle doesn't really call for one, though there are times it would be convenient(like when dh had to walk two miles this a.m. in freezing cold to a pay phone because the car broke down). Though, I also know kids that are already on the dangerous path of yakking while they drive, shop, etc. Most of these kids don't "need" the phone, but they want one because their friends have one. I guess it all depends on the situation!!

I refuse to buy those frozen crockpot meals---a frozen roast, a bag of veggies and a can of gravy in the cp does me just fine, thanks, at a fraction of the cost!!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:28 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mrs.Maniac,
There was a write up awhile ago in my newspaper about the crock pot meals. Not a good write up at all! The bottom line from them is dont waste your money or your tastebuds!
Leighann
Old 03-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Trainlady, I thought I was the last woman in the free world who didn't have a dishwasher. Let's start our own club. We'll be the ones with dishpan hands. Although lately I have been using rubber gloves to try to preserve mine.