Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:33 PM

Happypuppy-

You're welcome and come back and visit us often. Love your sign on name. you can find me most days at "What did you do frugal today" thread, except weekends (I don't have a computer at home that's internet ready".

Anna
Old 06-20-2003, 03:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I will not buy frappacinos by starbucks.. I tasted one.. and if you take some coffee, add sugar and undiluted EVAPORATED milk it tastes just the same, add some chocolate syrup and you have Mochachino.... and they have the nerve to charge in excess of 1.50 a small bottle..... *shakes head*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 06-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you for helping me out here. I have been down with the flu and have not been on much. I have been using the foil for sometime, now and no it has not harmed my dryer in anyway.
Cafe
Old 06-21-2003, 09:08 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky Thanks, Cafe!

Thanks Cafe, Hope you're feeling better real soon!

Because of all your great tips here, I refuse to buy Soft Scrub anymore to clean my porcelain sinks and bowls. I now use baking soda. Cleans exactly the same with exactly the same amount of work and less smell! AND it freshens my garbage disposal at the same time, all without harming my septic system.

We use well water which contains a small amount of iron so I occasionally use vinegar (let sit or soak, then brush) to clean the minor orange iron deposits which develop on things wet.

I refuse to buy glass cleaner anymore. I use vinegar and water in that spray bottle now. I also clean ceramic tiles with vinegar in a spray bottle and walk a towel over them or use a damp mop. I'm thinking of getting a Swiffer Wet Jet or equivalent and filling with vinegar (and using washcloths as refill pads!). Anyone know of a safe (bleach-free) floor-tile grout cleaner? I currently use TileLab from, I think, Home Depot (not sure how safe this is).

I am still trying to find a bleach-free alternative to A&H Clean Shower (great product! lousy price!). I will be trying a little dish detergent, 1/2c vinegar, 1/2c borax and warm water in a 2qt Clean Shower refill jug to fill the next spray bottle. I hope to let you know if I find anything that works as well.

Little by little I intend to replace all my hazardous household cleaners with safe alternatives. So far, so good!

Enjoy today!
Old 06-21-2003, 03:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Welcome to the corner Cheryl! I am here to endorse the foil in the dryer. I LOVE this tip! I have not bought any softener since Cafe shared this tip some time back. I even have samples of softener in my laundry room drawer just stting un-used. This is probably one of the best tips ever. Cafe--I thank you every time I toss some in the dryer.

As for shower cleaner, etc. I no longer buy glass cleaner either. I use a bottle of rubbing alcohol with a cup of water and a squirt or 2 of shampoo, shake and clean the dicknes out of any window, glass tops or smooth surfaces. I have also read (Was it Anna who shared the idea? ) that this works well for after shower use. I am going to try this and if it works as well as I expect it too I will never buy after shower spray again either!

As for those coffees Jeannie--hear! hear! I've (personally) never figured out the big attraction to plunking down big bucks for a coffee that I can make at home with my own cappuccino machine ANY time I want one.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 06-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Cheryl, it's good to have you here!

Jayne - if you don't like to iron, take one of those sample packets of fabric softener and put it in an empty spray bottle, then fill the bottle with water, that's how I make my fabreeze, and I don't iron much anymore! I sit and do a stack of clothes while I watch tv, then put them on a hanger, and I can sit and do it!

Carol

Old 06-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

There is another thing that I'll never buy again thanks to a tip on this site. I will never buy another mop! I HATED spending lots of money on mops only to get them home to find they were clumsy or didn't clean well and that the refills were almost as expesive as a new mop. THEn I read about foot powered cleaning and have been doing this since. I wet 2 old bathroom hand towels in my cleaner (I usually use Pine Cleaner) and toss them into the floor where I then walk them around the rooms. I can get right up into corners and can scrub a lot harder than I could with some of those wimpy mops. The floor dries quicker and I get a little exercise too! I'm also done in a fraction of the time a mop took. I love this method of mopping and I don't recall who shared the idea but to them!

Carol--I'm kind of weird. Not only do I enjoy doing laundry but I also like to iron. I haven't ironed in a long while (haven't needed to) but also enjoy sitting and watching TV while I iron. It's kind of therapeutic pressing all those wrinkles out of clothes and it's a great feeling of satisfaction when the basket is empty.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 06-22-2003, 12:12 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb Mops

I usually use my floor mop (light-weight) and bucket for washing the high areas of my windows (outdoors). Rinse with hose, then squeegee off.

But I'll use it on the floors if my mopping towels are still dirty (seldom the case).

Thanks for the welcome, Carol! I love this place! I'm so motivated to do so much I don't know where to start.

Last edited by HappyPuppy; 06-22-2003 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jayne -- Ironing always gets my back after awhile! Can I send you some more? So you do the Cinderellaing method of mopping too! I do that inbetween using the wet/dry vacuum. It steam cleans the floor, then dries it, but my wrists have gotten kind of weak, and it makes them sore for days when I use it.

Carol

Old 06-23-2003, 05:16 AM

Mopping

I haven't bought a new mop in at least 5 years. I have one of those sponge kind that has a pull handle and I use it occassionally but mostly I do the cinderella thing too So much easier and the floors get really clean!

I use bleach, Dawn dishwashing liquid & water to spray down my shower (Clorox only). I do not ever have to clean my shower or tub anymore, it is spotless white! same with my bath mat. I just spray after each shower with a good pump spray bottle and walk out. I've bought those fancy ones but they do not work nearly as well as my combo. I've done scrubbing bubbles, foam, etc. I will never buy that stuff again. I have been experimenting this weekend and used the above combo in my kitchen (refrigerator which is white), sink which in stainless steel, stove top and sides, and mopped the floor and it worked for all of it superbly! So after I use up the tons of excess stuff I have, I will only be buying Dawn and Clorox.