Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

nagymom.. the recipe is on the All purpose flour bag.. I love this flour....it's a little more expensive but worth it... to me anyway. I use their Bread flour as well.

go to:

www.kingarthurflour.com and search their recipes...
send for their free catalog.. there are recipes in that too...

These are not flours to use for biscuits... you need a very soft flour for that.... White Lily being the best... *s*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-31-2003, 08:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ok, here's my bread recipe -

White Bread

5 1/2 cups very warm water
3 Tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1/2 cup oil, can be oil that you've previously used for fried food
11 - 14 cups flour

In the bowl of a large bread mixer put 1 cup very warm water. Sprinkle yeast over water, and 2 teaspoons of the 1/2 cup sugar over yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes. Then add the rest of the water, sugar, salt and 7 cups of the flour. Turn mixer on and mix for 3 minutes. Add flour to mixer until dough just starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl, then add one more cup flour. Let mixer knead dough for 8 minutes. Put dough into a large greased bowl covered with a cloth. Let rise until double in bulk. Grease 6 loaf pans with crisco. Remove dough from bowl onto an oiled surface. Divide into dough into 6 pieces, and shape into loafs. Place in loaf pans and cover with a cloth for 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then brush the tops with crisco. Bake 15 minutes more, then remove to wire racks until cool.

I'll have to look for mom's recipe.

Carol

Old 06-09-2003, 02:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What do you refuse to buy?

The trouble with homemade bread is it just tastes so good. I can eat half a loaf - no problem. I do use that spray on butter substitute, so it makes me feel a little virtuous. I think a cup of flour has 1,000 calories. MIL told me that. She might have been
just hinting that I didn't need anymore bread! Actually she my ex-MIL, but I love her.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

1000 calories for a cup of flour? something makes me thing your leg was being pulled....http://www.annecollins.com/calories/calories-flour.htm

is a link to check the actual calories....455 for a cup of white flour...
Old 06-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mulberry -- After you get use to having homemade bread around you tend to not eat as much. I think it's like working in a bakery. I'm a real bread person, and it doesn't tempt me anymore than any other bread.

Carol

Old 06-14-2003, 05:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What do you refuse to buy?

So my ex-MIL told me flour had 1000 calories a cup and it has less then half that. The little rascal!! I guess she was making some unsubtle hints!! She died this past January, and I actually miss her a lot. Sounds so much like her though. She was my ex for 26 years, I loved her and am surprised how often I think I want to call her and then realize I can't. She was a rascal though.
I think I am going to go make some bread now!!
Old 06-18-2003, 09:49 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Anyone seen the new peanut butter slices, that are wrapped like cheese? I think I will bypass those lol!! I also saw chocolate-flavored fries. Yep--they're Ore-Ida . I don't think I could get my kids to eat them at all!!
Old 06-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mrs Maniac -- chocolate fries sound totally disgusting, I don't think my kids would like it either. I don't think I'd buy the peanut butter slices, they're probably expensive.

Hey Mrs Maniac -- I haven't seen you on the boards much lately, where have ya been?

Carol

Old 06-18-2003, 11:11 AM

I haven't seen the peanut butter slices yet either. PB sticks enough, I can't imagine what a stick would do.

I have seen new waffles though with Trix in them.

Anna
Old 06-18-2003, 12:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

one thing I have noticed recently is purple hot dog buns etc. Wow!!!! I wonder how much dye is in them??? Would you think that they would be dangerous?