What do you refuse to buy??? - Page 20 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

They don't just clog city lines! The lines in our front yard got clogged from some of those wipes and cost us a plumbing call.

I have a new thing to refuse to buy--that new Spray N Wash Pink. ADD with your detergent???! Isn't that why so many detergents have bleach, etc and keep New and Improving themselves? Geesh

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 05-31-2003, 10:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I absolutely won't buy frozen bread dough! I pride myself on my homemade bread. My mom made all the bread for my mom and dad one year, never bought a loaf! One year I want to do that!

Carol

Old 05-31-2003, 10:42 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am with Carol, but my DS is fussy about bread...
I do not have the time I would like to do it so I could make rolls etc. I have made tortillas and pizza dough and bread but nothing regular.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 05-31-2003, 11:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Songberries.. we make our own bread too.. either by hand or bread machine.....My husband makes rolls and biscuits.... and we both bake bread..... so.. we don't buy bread as a rule.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-31-2003, 11:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

OK all you bread bakers. Do any of you have a really good white bread (wheat is good too) recipe that is good for sandwiches? I'd love to make my own but it's usually too crusty, too dense, etc for good sandwich making.

Any recipes or ideas are appreciated!
Jayne

Old 05-31-2003, 12:06 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I make mine in my kitchenaide, it does a great job of kneading.
I have a bread machine but was not always satisfided with the results....
I will have to look for my recipes...I just made a nice one for wheat and was not too crusty or dense and I addeed a little flax seed, milled for health benefits, yum. It was from an Amish cookbook.
Ruth

Old 05-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jayne -- I have a Bosch mixer that I make my bread in. I can make 6 loaves at a time. When you make it in a mixer the dough is sticker than when you knead it by hand. I could give you my recipe, but you'd want to add more flour to it. Let me know, I'd be glad to share it! Somewhere I've got my mom's recipe, hers makes four loaves and you knead it by hand. Her's also has milk in it, mine doesn't. Anyhoo, let me know, I can give you either one or both!

Carol

Old 05-31-2003, 04:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

King Arthur Sandwich Bread

Classic Sandwich Bread

For sandwiches and toast, you just canít beat a classic American sandwich loaf, with its creamy-white interior, golden crust, and easily sliceable texture.
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup milk (skim, 1%, 2% or whole, your choice)*
1/2 cup hot water*
2 to 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter, margarine or vegetable oil, melted**
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 packet active dry yeast dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water OR 2 teaspoons instant yeast

*Mix the cold-from-the-refrigerator milk with the hot-from-the-tap water to make a lukewarm combination.

**Two tablespoons will yield a lower-fat loaf ó 4 tablespoons, a richer loaf.
Mixing: In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir till the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it begins to become smooth and supple. (You may also knead this dough in an electric mixer or food processor, or in a bread machine set to the dough or manual cycle). Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise till puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 90 minutes, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.

Shaping: Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into an 8-inch log. Place the log in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan, cover the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise for about 60 minutes, until itís domed about 1 inch above the edge of the pan. A finger pressed into the dough should leave a mark that rebounds slowly.

Baking: Bake the bread in a preheated 350įF oven for about 35 minutes, until itís light golden brown. Test it for doneness by removing it from the pan and thumping it on the bottom (it should sound hollow), or by measuring its interior temperature with an instant-read thermometer (it should register 190įF at the center of the loaf). Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a wire rack before slicing. Store the bread in a plastic bag at room temperature. Yield: 1 loaf.
~~~~~~

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-31-2003, 05:04 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Jeanie sounds great, I may try it...
Ruth

Old 05-31-2003, 05:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you Jeannie! I think I've even seen King Arthur Flour in one of thse hillbilly stores.

Yes Carol--share! The more recipes the better.

Thanks so much!

Jayne