Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oooh, I like this topic!

I refuse to buy boxed baked goods...how hard is it to whip up a cake from scratch??!

I refuse to buy paper products that isn't 100% recycled paper with a high post-consumer content. I do use cloth whenever I can, but sometimes paper is the best option for us (like when I'm draining some oil from food).

I refuse to buy costumes for the kids. I either sew my own or make them from "junk" materials, or from inexpensive accessories from second hand sources.

Since I bought a couple of wonderful books on how to make your own environmentally friendly cleaning products (and beauty products), I've refused to buy commercial cleaning products, which tend to be over-priced and often toxic.

And I also refuse to buy canned entertainment, such as Disneyland, King's Island, etc.

Find out more about autism at:
Autism Research Institute
Old 01-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I refuse to buy the little biscuits/crackers that come with their own little cheese dips or choc dips. We have Dunkeroos or Dippety Bix. They come in a little individual hard plastic containers with a foil top in a box of about 8. What a waste of plastic so unecessary and a non biodegradable item.
I use little tupperware type containers and, I can re wash and re use these, and I use a bulk pkt of biscuitss/cookies. You can even put your own dip in.

Old 01-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Our family coat of arms has "we don't pay retail" for thel family motto! I refuse to pay full price for anything, unless for some reason no alternative is available. I am willing to wait for whatever until I get a good price. We have gone for months without a sofa because I couldn't find one at a good price. One time we went without a table for the same reason. Usually I find one in a few weeks! :p
Old 01-19-2003, 01:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Like your motto"I don't pay retail", my motto is "If it isn't available in a thrift shop, I don't need it. I went a year without a sofa or anything else in the living room. We also have a den. Then, on Washington's Birthday, a $900 sofa was on sale for $200. Years later, I saw a sofa in a thrift shop for $4.25, had a small broken leg which I could have repaired but at that time I didn't need a sofa. Usually, if I go to all my favorite thrift shops, the item I need is available, and jumps off the shelf at me!
Old 01-19-2003, 02:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great Thread!

Okay, somebody explain the foil to me...what does it do, why does work?

Goria, where do you find your napkins? We also don't use paper for anything we can use cloth for (toilet paper is the only thing I can think of...). We've been using those cheap-o washcloths you get in the packs of 25 for $5, but I'd like to have something that looks nice for when we have guests and the only "napkins" I've seen in stores are 100% polyester (how useful would that be?) or cost more than a weeks groceries for a set of four! (And I have six children, so you know groceries aren't cheap around here!)

My additions (y'all have already said most of them for me):

Crayons. They break easily, they melt easily (especially in South Texas), and they are impossible to get out of the carpet. Colored pencils work just as well, don't break when your little sister picks them up, and wipe right off the carpet (and any walls that can be wiped).

Disposable training pants (and diapers, for that matter). What's the point? It's just another diaper for most toddlers, and it keeps them from feeling the consequences of what we are trying to get them to quit doing! Use cloth--the training goes much faster.

Flat wall paint. this is probably self-explanitory by now. If it's not washable, it's not allowed in my house. (I have heard that someone is selling washable flat paint now...we'll have to see.)

May God Bless,

CamsShel
Old 01-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I refused to buy disposable diapers or training pants, except for the church nursery, which required it., and for travel. Washing cloth diapers isn't that hard or messy, and we haven't left a smelly, expensive legacy in the landfill (or worse, the Walmart parking lot!) Plus, I have great cleaning cloths now.
I won't buy overpriced tins of spices when I can buy as little or as much as I need at the bulk food store for a lot less per ounce.
I won't feed my family sugary cereal day after day, when pancakes, muffins, and oatmeal are inexpensive, nutricious and and pretty tasty!
I won't buy anything new that I can find "recycled."
I don't buy brand names when generic or store brand is just as good.
I try not to buy foods that cost more than ten cents an ounce, unless it is a seasoning that is used sparingly and makes a dish worth eating.
I don't buy books outright if I can borrow them from the library first to see if I would pick it up over and over.
I don't buy mixes if I can make it from scratch.
Ditto ready to heat foods.
I don't buy stone soup products like Hamburger Helper, where I have to add all the expensive, nutricious ingredients anyway, especially when they don't actually save any time!
I won't pay the butcher at my grocery $3 per pound for soup bones!!!!
Old 01-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

cloth napkins

Many of our napkins are bandanas bought on sale (Many colors and styles, about 50 cents each) They are very cute for "cowboy " meals like chili or biscuits and gravy.
The rest are on-sale hand towels or inexpensive cotton fabric or garage sale table cloths cut with pinking shears or hemmed.
We also have a few special occasion treasures bought at thrift stores.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

CamsShell, a 3-4 inch ball of aluminum foil in your dryer will work the same as fabric softener, but I'm not sure how it does it. The aluminum foil is reusable many times, I've read. I won't try it until my liquid runs out.

Teresa, you can drain your fried foods on newspaper, brown bags, clean cloth, or just put them on some sort of baking rack like you'd use to cool cookies...put something under them to catch the grease drips.

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 01-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't think I'd use newspaper to drain foods because of the newspaper print...nor would I use paper sacks because they are made of recycled material..... I refuse to buy convenience foods when I can make it better and cheaper.....and no additives...
I have never purchased sugared cereals....the only dry cereals I ever bought were chex, corn flakes, rice krispies or crispix...these were served in the summer with fresh fruit......In colder weather, cream of wheat or oatmeal which we flavored ourselves, eggs, pancakes and french toast, frittatas, etc.

I DO NOT buy take out anything.. I fry my own chicken, make my own burgers and fries.... and better pizza than any take out...for the most part we bake our own bread and make our own pasta. Jarred tomato sauce is nauseating....they have so much garbage in it.... when it's so easy to make at home and so much cheaper and so very much better. Cakes, pies and cookies are home made. I also did this when I was a working mom and a stay at home mom. Nothing has changed except the amount of time I have for myself. *grins*
The convenience kitchen appliances I will not do without ..is our mixer, electric fry pan, crockpot...toaster and the dishwasher. *smiles*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 01-19-2003, 04:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm thrifty but not quiet as thrifty as some of you ladies.....

I love these posts!

But I won't buy dry clean only, will not pay more than $20 for a whole new outfit for work (bank teller) $15 for shoes-max! I LOVE to get them cheaper and will Search for that Bargain!!

One funny thing I won't buy is pickle spears.
My DH like spears but they are so much more $$,
I just cut up whole pickles.

I also won't but shreaded cheese.
Love my Salad Shooter!
Shreads that cheese in a jiffy and much less $$

Most recently I decided to buy a Clear Plan Fertility Monitor.
$200 for machine + $45 for sticks.

E-bay $120 for machine & sticks!!

wife to a great man-Bill,
who is a wonderful Daddy
to our daughter
Caitlyn born 4-03-00