Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:37 AM

Microwave Wraps

We've had those here in Columbus, Ohio for about a year. They run about 4.00 a pack, I think 6-8 in a pack. I bought a pkg. with a coupon when they first came out, was not overly impressed with them. A cup of water with vinegar added and an old wash cloth worked just fine.

Anna
Old 05-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My ex-husband was a pharmacist..and he used to wipe down his counters several times a day with rubbing alcohol .....I do that in the kitchen as well...... it is an antiseptic disinfectant....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Does anyone know of a recipe for homemade antibacterial handwipes? I love those things but not the price. I do buy the individually packaged ones to carry in my purse for wiping off toilet seats in public restrooms (I have a 3 year old who is potty training so we can't wait until we get home.) Although it's a major convenience item, it does give me certain peace of mind!!
Old 05-13-2003, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

microwave cloths: I thought this was the dumest thing since the swiffer when I saw them, (Sorry Swiffer fans but I HATE the thing. I'd much rather use my dust mop)

Alcohol for cleaning--this is ALL I use on windows, counters and appliances now. I buy a bottle for .50 at Wal Mart and mix with 1 cup water and 2 teaspoons of cheap shampoo in a recycled Windex bottle. This stuff cleans windows like no bodies business. Good cleaner!

Slice and bake cookies: Me too! If they are on sale I'll pick them up. I refuse to buy the break and bake--way not frugal. However my dgks like fresh cookies but Nana doesn't really enjoy making them sooo.......

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 05-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle antibacterial wipes

I did a quick search on google and this is a good site for recipe/info
http://www.loveathome.com/archives/hml07.htm

Tells you what ingredient serves what purpose.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Become an Honorary Member

Old 05-13-2003, 12:17 PM

I use for cleaning 1/4 cup Mr. Clean to 32 oz. bottle of water and clean everything with it, spray on floors use wet mop or towel with feet, clean stove, counters, toilet seat, sinks, etc. great stuff and last forever.

I have to say I have never used slice and bake or break apart cookies, by the time they came out I already knew how to make cookies and refused to buy what I could make. Now I have to say to be fair, I do not have children so there is not a big demand for cookies in our house and I do buy packaged from Aldi's occassionally. Cookie baking only happens in our house a couple times a year.

Anna
Old 05-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I did get a box of those microwave wipes when they were brand new and they were offering a $1 coupon so they were cheap...but I have yet to use them, I just boil a glass of water in the microwave and wipe it down...works fine for me.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 05-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

There is one container that tupperware sells they say holds half a rool of papertowels...I think it may be the bread machine bread holder container...it has a flip top and if you cut a rool of bounty in half it fits perfectly. I would imagine you could use the basic diaper cleaner recipe on the other page and add a little alcohol to it, or just sub the alcohol and add some aloe vera. It should make a good disinfectant wipe for around the house, like for hands etc or to carry in the car, you pull up a sheet and use it and close the top again. save the other half for the next batch.
Good Luck....Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 05-14-2003, 06:26 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I used to make baby wipes like that, but they would start to get moldy, so I stopped. What I would do would be to mix up a batch of disinfectant(alcohol, bleach/water, etc) and put it in a small spray bottle and just carry a few paper towels with me. I used this while potty-training ds1 and it worked quite well--the spray bottle was small enough it fit in my purse! I still tried to avoid public restrooms, though, or at least would frequent places that I KNOW cleaned them occassionally!
Old 05-31-2003, 04:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What do you refuse to buy?

For sanitizing at school (kids are always bleeding), and to keep with me for the gym or whatever, I just buy those little packages of alcohol wipes that they sell for diabetics. They are about a penny or less a piece. I also carry rubber gloves with me everywhere. In my purse, lunch bag, school desk. I had to do the Heimlich Manuever one year and it was very messy. Mother never even thanked me. I do hate all the throw away stuff. Do any of you know if all those wipes clog up the city sewer lines? So much wasteful stuff. I hate people using water bottles once and tossing.