Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I know sometimes I have no choice.....if I have the meat and not the bread I will buy the bread....lesser of 2 evils. Buying the bread is cheaper than buying a whole sandwich.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 05-12-2003, 05:37 AM

Fast Food & Kelloggs

I do not buy fast food at all. It's been 1 year since hubby ate anything fast food at all and about 8 months for me. I am diabetic and forgot to eat one weekend before running errands. This started out as a health issue for us but now when we count up how much money we saved just not ordering a pizza on Friday night, around 20.00 with tip 1040.00 for just pizza! That is hard to believe and then one or two nights a week stopping at Taco Bell, McDonalds, etc. to grab something to bring home for dinner because we were too tired to cook. 180 lbs. lost for hubby, 30 lbs. for me and we have energy to cook and go for a walk with dogs after dinner.

I refuse to buy the latest new product I saw at the store this weekend, Kelloggs Crushed Cornflakes for batter, please! All you have to do is put corn flakes in a bag and use a hammer! I use my food processor but it's so basic, I can't believe someone would buy them precrushed.

Anna
Old 05-12-2003, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Catlady, the Waffle House where I work charges $1.20 for two slices of white bread/toast, $1.30 for two slices of raisin bread/toast, and $1.45 for two slices of "Texas"bread/toast! I can go to the the day-old bread store and buy three loaves of white bread for $1.49!! We charge $1.65 for two eggs with NO grits or toast, $2.15 if you get the grits and eggs. A dozen large eggs at Food Depot are 91, less if they're on sale. Now, if you just want the whites of the eggs, we charge you...are you ready for this?...50 an egg to separate them. The logic there is to pay for the labor, but the one doing the labor, the grill operator, NEVER sees that 50 per egg! It goes into the cash register, and profits Waffle House. Outrageous, yes?

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 05-12-2003, 10:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yup yup.. all are very high priced..... but operating expenses, insurance, supplies, salaries, benefits all factor into the price of a breakfast.

Speaking of which let me tell you a little story.... When I was working in an office in Phoenix, we, the entire office staff would meet for breakfast on Wednesdays...... we went to a local breakfast place like IHOP ....and low and behold the bill came to 11 dollars a person..... bad service, paper napkins IF you could get one.... and I had to pour my own coffee.. and wait to refill the pot !........ soooooooo I checked with the very nearby 5 STAR hotel. They offered full breakfasts for their guests in one of their dining rooms....and valet parking

We were seated by the hostess at a table with table linens, SILVER silverware, CHINA plates, CRYSTAL glasses...and were handed a menu. We were given complimentary juice. You could order ala carte off the menu...or go to the breakfast bar for under 10 dollars...all you can eat. You can not believe the size of the breakfast bar, muffins, breads, rolls, assorted breads, meats, eggs, fruits of all kind, pasteries etc etc.

The wait staff was superb....the food was excellent....

I ordered off the menu, because I am not a big eater, and I wanted french toast and sausage.......the guys ate off the breakfast bar.

The bill averaged $8.50 a person. The boss was so impressed, we made it a weekly event and the Boss paid.... we also spoke about business.

On Fridays, we all went to the Elks Club for supper....excellent value for a supper....soup to nuts... $5.00 it was worth it.

Sometimes, you just have to treat yourself. You can't be so miserable as to not get SOME small pleasure from life..... I'm all for saving... but I'm not such a tightwad that I can't enjoy a breakfast out once in a while...... *s*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I know restaurants charge a lot but where I work is a hospital and this is a cafeteria!!!! anyway I am trying to pack lunch at night so I do not run into forgetting or not having the bread problems, and it is a good thing when we have days like last friday and today we didn't even get to breathe today let alone leave for lunch, I ate on the fly, I sedated a patient and while I waited for the medicine to work I ran into the office to inhale my lunch. I ran into check on him frequently, no wonder my stomach forgets I ate and wants to eat again!
I treat myself to the local diner when I want to go out to eat...dinner is like $8 breakfast $5. I even get breakfast for dinner sometimes.
I also will go out to a nice restaurant from time to time with family or friends.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 05-13-2003, 08:43 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lol Jeannie--don't you just love it when a nicer place has a better deal?? There's a little B&B around the corner from me that has good luncheons--and kids eat free. She is a wonderful cook and I like the atmosphere better than the one resteraunt here in town. Hehe--she wouldn't be caught dead offering a customer a paper napkin lol!!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

MrsManiac.. I have one better!

Phoenix in the summer is like sticking your head in a 200 degree oven... LOL.... there was a restaurant in Scottsdale that offered a special in the week breakfast....Mon - Thurs....for $2.00 ...bacon and eggs, potatoes and toast..... coffee was extra, as was juice. It had linen table clothes, linen napkins...china and crystal as well, and a great waite staff.

They did it to keep the restuarant open and the people working through the summer...especially the morning staff.. They did a good supper crowd.. the food was good and reasonably priced.

Needless to say, when people visited us during the summer, we went to The Quilted Bear for breakfast a few times..

There is another place that gives you more than your money's worth in Cave Creek....and the food is excellent... I've had just about everything on the menu......we also took guest here because we were sure of the quality and the size of the portions.... It's Crazy Ed's Satisfied Frog.. it also had a brewery and a small village of shops... and the prices were reasonable for everything..

Go here:

http://www.satisfiedfrog.com/Home%20page.htm

every link works except the lunch menu...

Don't forget to click on the Goatsucker bar to see the place inside and out...there is a virtual tour. It has sawdust on the floor...

This place has been imitated but never duplicated. It remains a favorite spot of many locals as well. Every time someone asks for a restaurant in AZ i recommend this place...even to several that asked on the net.... and they all wrote back and said how much they enjoyed it....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-13-2003, 09:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I refuse to buy those premade Break and Bake cookies. Baking and mixing up cookies is like therapy for me!! I would much rather whip up a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies than pay for 12 preservative-ridden premade ones! Of course, they do actually taste okay but nothing is like homemade (in my opinion!;-) ) I was at my sister-in-law's going on about who would ever by those premade cookies....and she let me know that SHE buys them!! oops!!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:45 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I saw a commercial yesterday for Microwave wipes that you put in and heat up and then just wipe!!!

I wonder how much they are going to charge the poor saps that are going to buy those!!!!

Vinegar and a cloth work GREAT ;-)

Those companies must make a fortune on that stuff!!!!! it is absolutely crazy....
Old 05-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

OH.. and I have to admit that I do buy those cookies once in awhile.
if it is after a holiday and they have those ones that you slice on clearance I will pick some up. the kids LOVE them!! and if the choc chip ones are on sale I will get them for a treat