Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
The cost? which didn't include purchasing the groceries. $300.00 a week.
Were they implying this was FRUGAL???! Unreal!!! I know folks who don't spend that in a month. How many are they feeding a week? 15 to 20?

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 04-30-2003, 11:10 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Gotta admit I love cable tv myself! Jayne, eeks life without the Wiggles couldnt do it lol! I do limit the amount as when I first started staying home I was becoming a zombie so I dont watch to much during the day. The kids like to watch 1 episode of the Wiggles, they turn it off after one. During lunch hour they watch Sesame Street and chill out before nap! My dh and I love TLC,HGTV, Food network among a few. Osi, those folks do need to learn a bit about being frugal. YIKES..... I refuse to buy after after week ice cream for at least a month! Its a diet killer but boy was it good.
Leighann
Old 04-30-2003, 11:12 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

LOL... I dont think that it was a FRUGAL thing, Anna was saying how people will spend an enormous amount of money to have someone else do their shopping and cooking!!!
and that it would be a good business to get into... sheesh, could you imagine getting PAID to spend other peoples money to grocery shop and then just cook for them!!!!

I have seen a lady who does the freezer meals for people... what a great business if you can do it!!!!!! the money these people pay to get cooked meals is amazing!!!!!

too bad we dont live close to each other OSI.. lol.. we could be partners in this kind of business!!!! LOL
Old 04-30-2003, 11:24 AM

Yeah Sherbear,

There are alot of rich people in our area with more money than sense. I drive through a "old" rich community on my way to work everyday, doctor's,lawyers, etc. beautiful, immaculate landscaping with pretty flowers... and no children playing outside, no cars in the driveway, they are all working long hours everyday to pay for living a "rich" lifestyle. It's kind of sad when you look at it that way. Me? I'd rather live in my little ranch style house, with it's imperfect lawn and sit in my yard in the evening and watch the kids ride bikes up and down the street and visit with my neighbors.

Anna
Old 05-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I make my own jam in the summer when I can get free fruit from people, usually apricots. I get a lot of magazines from the library so I don't have to buy them. I buy my laundry soap from Sears when it is on sale, great soap, lasts forever. I don't use fabric softner, never have. I buy Suave shampoo when it is on sale and I use it in my liquid soap bottles. I use shower caps to cover dishes in the fridge and I wash and reuse them, along with baggies. I make all of our bread. I make all of the cards I send, I'm a rubber stamper. We don't have cable, and we borrow movies and dvd's from the library. I buy boots for my little ones that are big enough to wear over their shoes, then when their feet grow they can wear them without the shoes. I buy Zest soap so I don't have to scrub soap scum off shower walls. I do a lot of things that the rest of you do, I just didn't want to repeat them. I use vinegar instead of jet dry. I don't buy chips, we eat a lot of healthy snacks. I save broth from roasts and leftover dabs of veges in a container in the freezer, then when it's full I make soup. I dry the heals and unused pieces of bread for bread crumbs or dressing. I dry the leaves from the celery and crush it to and store it in a jar to use in cooking. I dry orange peels and grind in blender and store in a jar to use in cooking. I have homemade cream of whatever soup mix to use instead of buying canned soup. We buy our dog food at a feed store and dh does all the work on our cars, which are older cars.
I love reading what everyone else is doing! Thanks for the ideas!

Carol

Old 05-09-2003, 11:26 AM

Carol-

I just got your pm and will send you the article on $10.00 a week for groceries. Check out their whole thread too, it'll be at the bottom of the article.

I'm really impressed with all your doing, all of you have me beat hands down. I've been sitting here today working on a master price list for 2 stores that we go to each week, Gordon food Service and Aldi's. Making a list of items we buy all the time from my grocery receipts, then each week I'll just print the list off the computer circle what items we need that week and add up their list price and know how much I'll be spending there. I can't do that with the major stores because their items go on sale all the time, but with these 2 stores it's always the same.

Zest- are you using bars or bodywash? I've never heard they dont leave soap scum? Let me know will have to watch next time we pull those out to use.

Anna
Old 05-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Anna,
I have to agree with your post from a while back about living in your modest neigjborhood but having the time to enjoy it.
I know people who have HUGE homes and never have the time to enjoy them....what's the sense??
I too have to have my TV, I have satelite not cable cause it is way cheaper here than cable. I also have TiVo so I can record things I like while I am working or sleeping or at school.
Have a happy Mother's day all!
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 05-10-2003, 03:16 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Carol--I got the seeds yesterday, thanks a bunch!! Dh laughed until I told them what they are for--he knows I don't particularly care for marigolds lol. But we care for skeeters even less!!

One thing I don't buy is fast food..usually lol!! My kids don't care for it at all, they'd much rather have homemade. Plus, knowing how much the ingredients for a burger and fries cost, I HATE paying over $4 for them just because they come wrapped lol!! Though we do occassionally stop somewhere, like once every 6 months or so.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I once in a while crave a fast food burger but hate paying the price...I much rather make my own....but when I am on my way home and I am starved....it is hard but I do my best. I also carry my lunch almost every day to work or school. Otherwise I spend a fortune....I may buy one thing to round my meal out but I usually try bringing everything from home...can you believe the cadeteria at work charges 50cents for 2 pices of bread???? heack the store brand loafs are only 69 cents a whole loaf....why whould I want to spend that kind of money at work?
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 05-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ruth .. it all depends on how badly you want 2 pieces of bread.... yes?

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."