Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

sheeba I am the same way! When my kids were growing up they didn't know what theater popcorn and sodas were. We would go to the store for their candy bars, I'd pop popcorn and carry it in a big purse and stuff it with canned sodas too. The theaters don't like it? TOUGH. They are huge rip-off artists with the prices they charge! The last place we lived had a good deal though. The sold kid tryas with popcorn a small soda and a candy for about $2.50. We'd all buy one. It was just the right amount of popcorn for me. I'm diabetic so asked for diet soda and gave the candy to someone else. Our one little theater in this town doesn't do the kids pack.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 04-09-2003, 11:48 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, I admit to buying popcorn at the movies lol!! But being as we only go every few years, the splurge isn't too bad, Especially since one of us always gets "movie bucks" for Christmas(like gift certificates you can use for tix or food). When I would take ds to the $1 show, I'd smuggle stuff in for him, though.

One thing I am refusing to buy is those microwave cleaning pads--you heat them up, the vapor loosens the gook, and then you use the pad to clean. HA! Any one besides me use vinegar/water and a scrubbie lol! The same with Dixie "rinse and reuse" plates--if I have to wash it, I'll use regular plates!!

And also--plant food. I compost everything and it goes straight into the beds. I hit the 'Net and found out what specific plants need and simply add extra around that plant(ie--a banana peel buy the rosebush for potassium, egg shells for calcium, etc).
Old 04-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am so glad I'm not the only one who thinks those microwave pads are a silly waste of money. Give me a break! If you're going to nuke something make it a cup of water and let the steam cut the gunk then wipe it.

I also refuse to buy those plates! We had some simply because dh works for a Georgia Pacific plant and when he went to owrk for thm they sent us a bunch of coupons, one of which was the plates. What sense does it make to wash disposable plates?

I admit that I DO have a pack of those dispoasable cutting sheets. Youngest dd is VERY ecology minded and is horrified at the thought of them so I hide them when she's home on break from college. Hey I had a $1 off coupon so couldn't resist. MOST of the time I use a plastic one that I bought in Germany 17 or 18 years ago and it's still going. That thing will outlast me.

Jayne

Old 04-09-2003, 12:05 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I haven't bought any of those yet. Mainly because the cheapskate part of me howls every time I look at them. Can't say I blame it--I have 5 or 6 great boards that only call for a good scrubbing and a bleach-rinse. And since I always have bleach, it seems silly to me to buy something like that simply to throw it out when I have plenty that didn't cost me anything at home!
Old 04-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Don't you just love those old stand-bys? I've had my cutting board for so long I'd be lost wihtout it. It's only a few years younger than youngest dd!

Jayne

Old 04-09-2003, 12:28 PM
New Neighbor

Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

ahhhh i am guilty of buying the cutting sheets-but i ONLY use it to cut chicken. i know people have cut chicken for hundreds of years on regular cutting boards-but i like keeping chicken "juice" contained in those lil sheets. i buy these sheets with the money i save on movie popcorn. lol
Old 04-09-2003, 12:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey Mrs Maniac -- Mind sharing the website where you got the good compost info? I compost also, and would love to know what benefits which plant. Thanks!

Gramz
Old 04-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
i buy these sheets with the money i save on movie popcorn. lol
good one sheeba!

Jayne

Old 04-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Post FYI

As moderator of this forum I have deleted several posts pertaining to other countries. If you look for a post and it's no longer here then this is most likely the reason.

Please use this thread to post items that you refuse to buy for frugal reasons.

On with frugality! We love and appreciate ALL of you!

Jayne

Old 04-12-2003, 03:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Refuse to buy?

Have you seen the new frozen p & J sandwiches? Ridiculous.

Also, frozen baby food dinners! Amazing.