Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question Little Things that save money

What are some of the little things that you do everyday to save money?

Here's some of the things I do:

1) Wash all laundry in cold water. Only wash full loads.

2) Bake from scratch. Make my own mixes too.

3) Try to combine trips to town.

4) Keep a well stocked pantry and freezer.

5) Pay bills on time.

6) Shop with a list and use coupons on things I normally buy.

7) Menu planning.

8) Shop loss leaders.

I know there's probably more but that's all I can think of right now.

Old 02-17-2002, 12:14 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Great ones kimmyo! Here's a few that I do, off the top of my head

1) Recycle items to use in crafts (juice can lids, popsicle sticks, etc)

2) Mix half water and half liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle. Squirt inside dryer, then add clothes. Liquid softener smell and feel, last WAY longer this way!

3) Stock up on items that we use frequently when they go on sale

4) make my own modge podge from water and white craft glue

5) make loaves of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches ahead of time to use in lunches. This way if they are on their wy to the bus and we forgot to make lunch, it only takes 30 seconds to throw it all together.

6) Pay cash for large home improvements whenever possible, this can save you a lot of money.

7) Barter! I barter with a lot of work at home mom businesses for their product. I give them advertising, they give me books, toys, clothing, etc. Hubby barters too, he owns a transmission repair shop, so he'll do a job in exchange for work on our house, etc.

If I think of more I'll come back! :D

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-17-2002, 08:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Some little things that I do:

1.) Reduce. Reduce what you use. Try less soap in the dishwasher, less soap in the washer etc.

2.) Cook from scratch. Processed food and eating out costs a lot of money. You would be surprised how much you can save.

3.) Pay as much as I can on my credit cards

4.) Pay myself first! Put money away in another account or some places will take it our of your account monthly

5.) Use you left overs. Look on the computer for great ways to use up all the food in the fridge.

6.) Bring your lunch to work. (OK I am still working on this!)
Old 02-19-2002, 08:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

little things to save money

Something that saves us quite a bit of money is not shopping when we don't need anything. I don't run to Walmart anymore "just to look". Right now at home I can't think of one thing I need but if I were to go to a store to browse I'm sure I'd walk out of there with a load of unneccessary things (even though I'd buy them on sale).
Old 02-19-2002, 10:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Post Some things I do to save

**Think if I had no access to money for awhile, wouldn't I think twice before spending?
** Stay out of shops, even second hand can get you in
** Limit looking at catalogues if you are only learning to be disciplined, funny how once you have something you can still not be happy
** Have a flexible plan and goals for any money I have
** Eat more vegetarian meals (I had been one for over 20 years)
** Instead of a gift for an older person, take the time to write a long and loving note of what you appreciate about them
** Do your homework on the most economical way to do things.
** Think of what you save as extra INCOME
** Recycle everything you can

Take care! and Smile
Old 02-20-2002, 10:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am pretty new to being frugal, but, I think that the most important thing that I have done to save money is READ READ READ! I have read a lot of great books on how to save money. there is the Tightwad gazette series, Never again throw out a banana, many different sites on the web, and anything that I can get at the library.
I have stocked up when things were price slashed.
I have bought X-mas presents for the next year at after X-mas sales.
I use half as much detergents in the dishwasher and washing machine, and laundry and dishes are just as clean.
I am not against getting a great find from the curb side, and refinishing it.
I have started to clean more with Vinagar and Ammonia rather than pricy Windex and Fantastic.
I shop around for everything. A simple phone call before going to a store can save me a lot, and the time to drive around.
We even share a server account with someone else to save $$$.
I will do almost anything... Hey, it's my penny!
Old 02-22-2002, 06:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Since I get paid once a month, I pay all my bills once a month, but I don't write any checks. I pay EVERYTHING by automatic payment through my credit union - mortgage, all utilities, water, phone, cable, cellular phone, auto insurance, life insurances, even church! I don't have to buy checks, stamps, or envelopes, and I don't have to worry about my bills being paid on time. When I get a bill for a company that doesn't participate in an automatic payment plan or when I pay a credit card bill, I pay the bill online (the credit union sends them a check, so I don't have to!). I've been doing this for years and I love it!
Old 02-22-2002, 06:47 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Great ideas about the banking without checks. I do a lot of bill paying online too, it saves time and money.

I noticed you are from West Allis, howdy neighbor! My husband owns a transmission shop there called Allis Transmissions
http://www.allistransmissions.com

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-22-2002, 07:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello, I have been fruagal for about 10 years.
I do many of the things listed.
Another idea would be to do your banking on the telephone.
Our bank charges a small fee for on-line banking, but nothing for paying our house payment and loan we have with them on the automated phone line.
Also I can transfer money to and from my savings account just as easily !
Most of our other bills are paid with automatic cks.
One phone co. lets you go online and pay with the debit card/credit card, so far no problems with that !!

Liz
PS try a 5 inch sheet of foil in the dryer to eliminate static !
After 5 or 6 uses , just toss it !!
Old 02-22-2002, 09:18 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Some things I do:

Make all our baked goods from scratch-muffins, rolls, buns, etc.

Sew sew sew! I'm not a seamstress, but I can replace a button and repair holes, thus saving an article that would have been tossed!

Bleach, ammonia, vinegar and baking soda are the things I use to clean--haven't bought a cleaner in a LONG time!

I use 2 tbs of laundry det. in a full load, add a bit of baking soda, and vinegar in the rinse. I will use more on really dirty stuff, but that's not too often.

We keep our thermostat at 62 and wear warmer clothes and use flannel sheets. This is a BIG money saver! Dh upped it to 70 and added 100 dollars to our gas bill!

Reuse/save water. In the summer, I water my garden with rinse water from the washer, and water my indoor plants(and some outdoor) with dishwater. I will also save the water I run while waiting for it to heat up. I bathe both boys together and I take "sailor showers".

Preventitive maintenance(sp)- another money saver! Fix those little things before they become big expensive things! Not only will that leaky faucet waste water, if it goes to far it will mean a plumber instead of just changing the gasket.

There's more, but I'm drawing a blank.