Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

raggedymom, your kids might enjoy wallpaper sample books to draw on the backs and make collages with. You can also use them for shelf paper, gift wrap, etc. Most paint stores get rid of a few toward the end of every month.

Googol search "playdoh recipe". They're out there. So are paste, glue and fingerpaint recipes.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Nine Year Member

I started using the dryer balls and have cut 10 min off the time on each load.

I use fluorescent light bulbs in our lamps.

I brew a double batch of tea for iced tea at a time, using 6 regular tea bags, dash of baking soda in a quart of water. Bring to a boil then turn off and let steep about 30 min. I pour half into each gallon container (I reuse washed out milk jugs) filled with water. We like sweet tea so I put 1/3 cup of sugar in a gallon jug.

I also use half the suggested amount of detergant in the dishwasher and washer and use vinegar for softener in the rinse water (those downey balls are great).

I delute liquid dish soap and use to refill the hand soap containers. I use 1/4 Dawn and 3/4 water. I was able to buy 6 of the big bottles of Dawn on sale for $1 with coupons.

Roberta
Old 09-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

For me we do the small stuff here.I buy lots of genric foods.Not too many brand name stuff and i also try to add match it and use coupons on it too.We try to pay off all of our credit cards every month.I am also knowen for turning lights off in the house for stuff that isn't being used.I aslo use the libary for everything.I try to make alot of my meals and snack foods from scrath too.

Mish
Old 09-22-2007, 05:38 AM
Nine Year Member

Had some more thoughts since my post yesterday.

I join the monthly Freebies forum here at Family Corner and sign up for the samples and trial size items that I or someone in my family can use.

If you haven't in the past year call up your credit card companies and request a lower interest rate and to wave the annual fee if you have one.

Call up your utilities companies (phone, cable, internet) and request a cheaper rate than what you are paying. Most will do so to keep your business.

I use a lot of coupons for groceries, restuarant, gas discounts and save on average $100 a month. $1200 a year tax free! I give my surplus of free or nearly free food items to the local food pantry. Redeem the free pet food coupons and donate to the animal shelter if you don't have pets.

I pay a lot of my bills with my C/C that pays me a cash back bonus. I sign up for all their specials saving 5% on certian items (loved the 5% gas savings). With paying my Avon account off we range in $20-40 a month cash back bonus which I have applied to the bill. They pay me $300 plus a year to use their card tax free! We always pay it off each month so no interest fees and there is no annual fee either.

I've been doing MyPoints for years and use the gift cards for gifts between DH's & my accounts we earn about $50 a year FREE for clicking on the email links.

I started doing the Points & Prizes last year for finding words I've earned 3 books, 1 music cd, 1 Veggie Tales dvd for gifts this year alone. Odds are I will receive 2 more free gifts before the end of the year. So 7 free items to keep or give away in a year, tax free. Good deal for me!

Roberta
Old 09-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Nine Year Member

Thought of another thing that saves a lot of printer ink, it has doubled the life of my cartridges. Change the system setting on your computer printer to print in "fastdraft" setting instead of "normal or best".

Go into your system settings under printer, select printing preferences and change the print quality. Most of the time you will not see a change in the quality (normal black printing) and as you run low and the ink gets lighter just go back and change it to "normal" and again later to "best" to finish out the cartridge.

Just remember to change the setting back when you replace the cartridge.

I have found if I need to print in color I want to use the normal or even best if it is a picture.

Roberta
Old 09-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Assistant Moderator

PLUS the seller sent me the recipe for making liquid stevia, which is even MORE expensive.. even when Puritan's Pride has their buy one get two free sale, this was cheaper)

Would you post that recipe? I grow stevia but have no idea how to use it in it's natural form.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Nine Year Member

When you get free samples of perfumes in the newspaper save them and put them in the air return of your heating and air conditioning system. Today I used Pleasures from Ester Lauders. It smelled the best of all of them and so does my house. Perfumes usually bother me but this one didn't.
________
Sueanne

Old 09-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Assistant Moderator

Make lists, keep a schudule when you can.

Plan your meals.

Have a schudule of housekeeping chores.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'd like to have the Stevia instructions too. I haven't found them online. Thanks! pw
Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Nine Year Member

Ketchup Bottle

Speed up poky ketchup by inserting a plastic drinking straw into the bottle. Beats banging or shaking the bottle.
_______
Sueanne