Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab54
Some good ideas, Thanks!

We make towels go farther also, re-using them a few times before laundering. Could never get my younger son to re-use a towel. "That's gross, Mom." but now he lives away at school and washes his own. His problem.
I love saving money any way that I can but I have to agree with your son on this one....

I cannot stand the thought of using a towel more than once. My DH will hang his and use it again but not me. I know that you are clean after getting out of the shower but there is still dead skin and other "fluids" on the towel...yuck! It drives my Dh crazy that I won't even try to use one again.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

some times instead of buying frebreze or other fabric sprays.I take a spray bottle add some fabric softner and water and spray it on the furniture.Smells good and last longer than freebreze.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Recently I ran out of fabric softener and I tried the white vinegar in the rinse cycle. This worked fabulous. The clothes came out of the dryer soft and fluffy no static cling and I'm sure the vinegar will keep my washing machine cleaner too! Vinegar is a lot cheaper than fabric softener too!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Assistant Moderator

I love to use vinegar instead of softener in the wash as it takes out the boys sweaty smell out of clothes in the summer, gee those boys can reek after sport LOL
I think it also helps to colourfast new clothes/fabrics so they don't bleed colour in their first wash.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I also use cold water to wash and use vinager all the time in my wash. also to keep drains smelling nice use 1 cup vinager 1cup lemon juice and 2 tbs baking soda keeps drains clear and smelling good too

Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Nine Year Member

A stitch in time saves nine, definitely mending saves money.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 09-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Assistant Moderator

Stale cracker or sweet biscuit/cookies? Crush or put them in the food processor, use the savoury crackers for crumbing chicken and the sweet ones for a crumble top on a pie or stewed fruit.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Nine Year Member

Furniture Polish

Mix 1 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup vinegar in a plastic spray bottle. Shake well and spray onto a flannel cloth. The vinegar cuts dirt and cleans the wood, and the oil lubricates it and helps prevent drying.
Nothing like beautiful polished furniture.
______
Sueanne

Old 09-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We use towels a few times between washes. Never been a problem!

Dh rcently juiced a stack of fruit that wasn't getting eaten, iut was all gone the next day except for a little bit I froze for summer fruit shakes.

Freezing leftovers also saves them being forgotten in the fridge and then thrown out.

Having lists of jobs to do when out of the house saves extra trips (time and money)
Old 09-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Be patient. Almost everything you want for your home will turn up cheap or free if you can just wait for it. And don't be afraid to paint or recover something that.s not quite what you want.

Ask questions. Which do I want more, college tuition, or a mocha latte? What do I want more, a newer car, or a secure retirement?

Use cheapcycle and Freecycle at yahoo groups. If there aren't any in your area, you can start one.

Stop by the thrift stores any time you are in the neighborhood. Their stock changes almost daily, and ... see above.!

Pre-prep food so you won't be so tempted to use expensive convenience foods, or worse, fast foods!

Read The Tightwad Gazette (3 volumes), the Miserly Moms books and any other frugality books your library has. They will help you develop a frugal philosophy that will keep you content as well as teach you new ways.

Don't allow your children to be picky eaters and waste food. Three bites of every item served at every meal, then they can have more of what they like or wait to eat at the next meal.

Find "use it up" recipes for soups, crepes, wraps, quiche, muffins, casseroles, turnovers etc. You won't ever need to throw away bits of food, or turn down leftovers from the potluck!

Combine errands. Go everywhere you need to go in the same area in one trip. It saves gas, and you won't have extra time to browse for things you didn't know you needed!