Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:21 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

We have a water softener, but before we had it fixed we had straight well water. I still used 2 tbs of detergent, but added a cup of baking soda. Worked fine! I don't know if it matters, but I also put the soap in while the machine is filling to let it "suds up" a bit before adding the clothes.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks MrsManiac! Do you have to add baking soda or can you just do it with the the laundry soap? I know baking soda is pretty inexpensive so I don't mind adding it. We actually buy it in bulk in the summer to add to the pool instead of one of the costly chemicals it calls for (can't think of the name of it right now).

I have been trying to do laundry in cold water but the detergent is sticking to the clothes so I've had to send it through an extra rinse cycle. Going to try and make sure I have it stirred up before tossing in the clothes.

I also have change to the delicate cycle for mostly everything. Nothing gets REALLY dirty at this time of year.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'll try to add things that haven't been mentioned...

- Use bath water for watering plants.
- Collect water from your a/c condensation drain and use for watering plants.
- Turn junk mail into scrap paper.
- Save leftover green beans, corn, chicken, etc. and put in a large freezer container. Keep adding to it until you have enough to use as a homemade soup starter.
- Shop Goodwill and other thrift stores for books and homeschooling workbooks. Library sales are great too.
- Use the microwave for cooking instead of the stovetop (uses less energy).
- Use an appliance like a Nesco for cooking instead of using the oven (uses less energy).
- Run the dishwasher at night when energy rates are lower.
- Make your own cleaners (vinegar and baking soda with water will clean just about anything!).
- Check out VHS tapes and DVDs from the library instead of purchasing.
- Check magazines out from the library instead of subscribing.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:27 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I think the clothes get clean w/o the soda, but dh's clothes get smelly from working in the shop, so I like the deodorizing aspect of it. It also supposedly makes your detergent work better--I can't say I really noticed.

As far as the "globs" go--that's why I dissolve the soap first--I was having to rinse every load twice to get the soap out! I figure it would happen with the soda, too, so I let it fill a bit and swish it around a little to be sure, then toss in the clothes.

Can you tell me what chemical you replace with baking soda? We're hoping to get a pool and that bit of info sounds helpful. Thanks
Old 03-07-2002, 06:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

For Pool

Was asking my hubby about the chemical for the pool. He can't remember the name but it helps to bring the ALKINE down if that helps. My neighbours actually told us this and for some reason they have add pounds and pounds to their pool. We have an ON THE GROUND pool (half in and half out) and only had to add it once this past summer.

So remember if you need to decrease the Alkine you can use baking soda. Its alot cheaper and does the same thing. Even our health store knows this and has heard of its use.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-08-2002, 03:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I forgot one I wanted to mention....

- Make liquid milk using dry milk powder and use in the place of purchased milk when baking or cooking instead of purchased milk. It's cheaper and doesn't affect the taste at all.
Old 03-08-2002, 04:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the great tip Kahana! I'll remember that next time I bake.

I also use home made/ store bought apple sauce instead of oil when I bake. Its healthier and to me it doesn't change the taste. I use it when I make apple bread. Yummy!
Old 03-08-2002, 08:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

How We Save Money!!

How We Save Money!!
First thing we do is Tithe at least 10% of my DH's paycheck!!
We then pay our bills !!
What money is leftover goes to buy Groceries!!
We use coupons !!
We shop sales !!
We try to stock up on nonperishables when we can!!
We shop clearance racks!!
We shop Bread/Bakery Thrift Shops!!
We shop Thrift Stores and Congsignment Shops!!
We shop used book stores!!
We also shop yard sales!!
We recycle!!
We reuse!!
We wash all clothes except whites in cold water!!
We only wash dishes and clothes when we have full loads only!!
We are hoping to put up a clothes line to hang our clothes out in the sun to save even more money!!
For movies sometimes we will go to the Library if we are lucky to find movies that are good to watch and rent them from there!!
Sometimes we go to the Video Store Monday,Tuesday, or Wed. and rent videos for only $.99 on that day and we can keep the videos for 7 days!!
That is mostly how we save money so far!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 03-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

How we save money :
On cleaning supplys a few of us will get together and go splits on the commercial concentrate from the local janitorial supply store. 4 people $5.00 each, about 10 bottles of do everything cleaner, windows,carpets, hw floors, ovens, walls, tubs, it's great and does a good job.
Bundle bills, phone,internet, cable all one now.
Tape trade for new movies/music at the local sound exchange.
Second hand clothes for dd playclothes and dresses.
Keeping lights off.
Cast Iron Rads for hot water heat. Keeps the heat so much longer.
I have to keep the heat here at about 68 due to the critters so the furnace does come 3 times a day not very frugal but it is on a timer.
Plan Menu's And write it out post it on the fridge the night before.
Either bake hm bread or get it from the thrift store.
Get Dh to cut my hair, no I'm not nuts. I cut his and dd's also.
The Number 1 money saving thing we do Prevent not fix, with everything from colds to the roof.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

what i do/plan to do

1. First thing I do is pay all the bills, being a military family overseas, our gas and electric come out of the pay before we get it, we don't have to pay water bills, only phone, cell phone and car loan (now paid off!). Then of course there are groceries.
Any money whatsoever left in the bank at the end of the month I have started transferring to my savings account. I also have a set amount transferred at the beginning of the month to each savings account we have, 1. an investment account,2. an ordinary savings account for emergencies, 3. My girls each have a savings account and 3 per month is put in each. Saving for their future! Any money gifts for birthdays etc.. are put in the relevant persons account.
2. I line dry almost all the time, I use the dryer only when I have a mountain of washing and it doesn't all fit on the line or clothes dryer. Or if I need something in a hurry.
3. I use only half washing powder and softener, there is no difference in the cleanliness.
4. I am always turning out lights!
5. I try to cook a couple of things at a time in the oven. I use the microwave whenever possible.
6. I shop for clothes at a thrift shop, I take bags of all my old unused things in, and they sell and the store takes 20% for charity and you get the rest. Anything that doesn't sell, goes to charity, or I will go and withdraw them and resubmit them. I drop of my bags, look around and collect my "winnings" on a Monday. Other clothes are from Grandparents, or clothes I buy in sales.
7. I haven't bought any new cleaners for a while and am currently trying out the vinegar and baking soda ideas from this site.
8. I dont own a dishwasher so it is the old fashioned way for me!
9. I am learning to bake. I cook in batches when the energy fills me and freeze. I bake all my daughter's snacks for school.
10. The kids all bath together and I take a very quick shower daily.
11. In the summer we use our solar panels to heat all our water, its works out as.....FREE hot water.
12. In the summer, the ceiling fans are on in only the occupied rooms.
13. In the summer we go to the beach (free) and take packed lunches and drinks, not the pool which costs.
14. I am trying to walk more, not use the car.
15. My girls use left over paper and junk mail to draw on.
16. I use the library every week.

I can't think of anymore, but I am sure there is some! I am getting great ideas from this site, and they are encouraging me to do more!

Sally