Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:16 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by raggedymom
making playdoh (I need a simple recipe)
Wow! Lots of great ideas!!

Here is a link to several edible play doughs:
http://www.thefamilycorner.com/famil...ay_dough.shtml

And Shawn, our kid's craft moderator, has posted tons of play dough recipes on the thread below!
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...=&threadid=263

There's also homemade flubber here
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...=&threadid=422

Have fun!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-25-2002, 05:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh I love homemade play dough!

My children are older now and no longer play with it but we use to make it all the time!
Old 03-03-2002, 12:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Lightbulb Saving Money.....

Hi, I am very new to this board (just joined about an hour ago!) But, here are some things that I do to save money. I enoyed reading the posts, and I actually learned alot. Thanks to all posts, and please, post MORE!
1) We drink lots of water at my house, hubby, myself and kids. In the morning, when it is time to wash dishes, instead of dumping unused water, I use it to water the plants, or, pour in dog water bow. They don't mind.
2) I love the recipe site www.TopSecretRecipes.com they have the recipes to your favorite restaurant goodies. Pizza Hut, Olive Garden, KFC, etc, and we make that stuff at home.
3) When we do treat ourselves to a restaurant dinner, kids get water, with complimentary lemon and a sweet-n-low packet for lemonade. I order water and hubby gets tea. I take a sip of his occasionally, and he shares my water. Tea is usually free refills.
4)Also, I order one adult entree for the kids and they share it, instead of two kid meals. Just ask for an extra plate.
5)We have several 'water bottles' that have been recycled from 'bought on the run' cokes. I wash the 20 oz bottles and fill em up with water,and into the fridge they go, so kids take em when we go, and I don't hear, "Mom, I'm thirsty"
6) This one is for those of us who live out of town. It is 30 miles to our 'big town', and I usually go once a week for big shopping. Go with a neighbor, and switch off next week. Saving that gas helps you both.
7) Buy dog/cat food, bird food and stuff like that at a feed store. It is usually cheaper and alot of times, they won't charge you tax.
8) A luxury I provide myself is instant flavored tea, such as raspberry and peach. However, I use only enough to color the water, and I still get enough for a great flavored water, makes it go alot longer.
9) I get the kids clothes at the local missionary shop. Sometimes at garage sale prices.
10)I don't buy the individual packs of anything. Chips, cookies, snacks, etc, are bought full size and then broken down in small baggies for kids to take on the go.
11)The electricity thing goes here, too. We keep the thermostat on 63 all day and nite, just wear sweats and flannels.
12) Go to a beauty school for haircuts. The one near us charges 5$ and the students are all supervised, and your hair is checked by their teacher.
13) Dollar General is a lifesaver to me. Paper towels 3 for 1.00, spices 2 for 1.00, etc. Generic brands are great on SOME things, it does take trial and error.
14) Buy seeds instead of plants. Share seeds with friend, and she with you, there are sooooo many in a packet.
THere are so many more, most you probably already know. I just love hearing others ideas. GOd Bless.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:21 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: Saving Money.....

Quote:
Originally posted by beckie
In the morning, when it is time to wash dishes, instead of dumping unused water, I use it to water the plants, or, pour in dog water bow. They don't mind.
Hi Beckie and welcome aboard! Lots of great ideas, thanks for sharing.

I have to ask you though, because your comment above caused me some concern. When you say unused water that you give to your dogs, what exactly do you mean? You aren't referring to water that you have washed dishes in or put soap in are you? You say they don't mind, but I think if someone gave me water from the dishes I would mind LOL! Just wanted to clarify what you meant by this

Thanks!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 03-03-2002, 12:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

shocking oh, MY!!

Goodness, NO! LOL.....I guess I did not make it clear, sorry. I meant the water that is still in the glasses/cups that did not get drunk the day before. Poor puppies, I don't think they would love me as much as they do if I gave them dish water...LOL, hubby suggested last nite to water the plants with left over tea. Any ideas on that? I know you can use the tea bags to make compost, but, I don't know about tea poured directly on em.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My neighbor does all that. She used the water after washing her floors to water her plants outside.

She also has a garden every year and places all the veggie and fruit scraps in the garden as well as egg shells and almost everything.

The bad side to that is when the birds go to eat it they drop it all in my yard and then I have to clean it up so the dog does not get to it.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:00 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: oh, MY!!

Quote:
Originally posted by beckie
Goodness, NO! LOL.....I guess I did not make it clear, sorry. I meant the water that is still in the glasses/cups that did not get drunk the day before. Poor puppies, I don't think they would love me as much as they do if I gave them dish water...LOL
Oh phew!!!

I didn't want to be impolite and say that your dogs probably wouldn't appreciate dirty dish water LMAO! But you DID say unused, so that' swhy I was confused. Glad to hear the puppies won't have bubbles coming out of their noses!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 03-03-2002, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amanda I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was having a panic attack over soapy water in the dog bowl. LOL Glad we got that clarified!

Beckie it sounds like you and your family are doing a great job at being frugal. We will all benefit from your input!
Old 03-03-2002, 05:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Beckie I thought the same thing too! But I re-read it and went WHEW!!!

My baby wouldn't like it neither!

Little things I do are:

1. Turning the lights off
2. Keeping the thermostat down to 17C (sometimes down to 15C at night).
3. Using the fireplace more. We've used almost 3 cords of wood this winter and it hasn't even been really cold. Thank goodness!
4. Hang the kids clothes and some of ours up downstairs.
5. Last week when it was really nice warm (unusal for us) 15C, the house was nice and warm so I shut the heat off for the day and hung out 2 loads of laundry on the line.
6. Run full loads in the dish washer and laundry.
7. Stock up on sale items, though we don't get those good sales you guys do in the States.

That's about it for now. Would like to lower the Hydro bill. It was pretty high for the last two months.

Old 03-07-2002, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a quick question. Some body said that they use 2 tablespoons of laundry soap for a load. I think its great; but do you have a water softener or is it just to use less detergent?

TIA