Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great ideas! I learned a few new ones. I do most of them. A few not mentioned:

Tithe/give. I really believe that honoring God first with our income is key. He asks us to give off the top of the paychecks, and we do. I learned a little saying several years ago that I believe wholeheartedly, "If you have $10, and you give God $1, you now have $11!" He really has a way of blessing us for our seeking Him first. I also pray that God will open my eyes to the needs of others, and let me know when He wants me to be the one to help them.

Pray the prayer of Jabez: "And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, 'Oh, that you would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that your hand would be with me, and that you would keep me from evil that I may not cause pain!' So God granted him what he requested." I Chronicles 4:10

Be thankful and content. It is so easy to focus on what you (I) don't have, but I am working on being more thankful for what God has provided, and to be content with what I have. I don't "have" a lot compared to the wealthy city I live in (Seattle area), so I really have to keep my heart reigned in on this one. I drive an 89 Mazda amidst a lot of 2002 minivans! But I get where I'm going!

Pray requests, not answers. I try to pray for what is needed, not what I think the answer is. E.g., if I feel my family "needs" to get away for a vacation, I will pray for God's provision...but not necessarily for more money. God is so creative at providing with or without money. We've had many times where very affordable vacations came our way that we never could have afforded.

Focus on relationships and not possessions. Thankfully, we can all be wealthy this way! People are really what's important, and we have to choose to live that way.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Karil
Great ideas! I learned a few new ones. I do most of them. A few not mentioned:

Tithe/give. I really believe that honoring God first with our income is key. He asks us to give off the top of the paychecks, and we do. I learned a little saying several years ago that I believe wholeheartedly, "If you have $10, and you give God $1, you now have $11!" He really has a way of blessing us for our seeking Him first. I also pray that God will open my eyes to the needs of others, and let me know when He wants me to be the one to help them.

Pray the prayer of Jabez: "And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, 'Oh, that you would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that your hand would be with me, and that you would keep me from evil that I may not cause pain!' So God granted him what he requested." I Chronicles 4:10

Be thankful and content. It is so easy to focus on what you (I) don't have, but I am working on being more thankful for what God has provided, and to be content with what I have. I don't "have" a lot compared to the wealthy city I live in (Seattle area), so I really have to keep my heart reigned in on this one. I drive an 89 Mazda amidst a lot of 2002 minivans! But I get where I'm going!

Pray requests, not answers. I try to pray for what is needed, not what I think the answer is. E.g., if I feel my family "needs" to get away for a vacation, I will pray for God's provision...but not necessarily for more money. God is so creative at providing with or without money. We've had many times where very affordable vacations came our way that we never could have afforded.

Focus on relationships and not possessions. Thankfully, we can all be wealthy this way! People are really what's important, and we have to choose to live that way.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a blessing your message was!
Old 02-22-2002, 04:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

post by Karil

I have to second that Amen with Amen !!
I don't know if anyone watched Oparh today. They were talking about managing money , and had a few coulples on for examples. One couple , esp. the woman really bothered me.
She was whining b/c they couldn't get their house bulit and it was so embarressing that the kids had to share one room.
I thought for pete sake lady !! You have your health ,a great husband and two great kids !! God already gave you what is important in life , the rest is just window dressing !!
Well after working with the advisor they got their money straightened out. Now three months later she admits that the tight situation gave her a better understanding of what really counts in life !! Her husband said God had done it all for them and they were blessed by having gone though it all !!
I guess God uses many ways to wake us up and realize what the "good' life really means !
God Bless,
Liz
Old 02-22-2002, 06:17 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amen to that--I can't believe I forgot this one! God has truly blessed me and my family and I am thankful for that. Beleive me, if I hadn't gone through the tough times, I would never appreciate the things I have now that mean so much!
Old 02-22-2002, 07:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Little Things that Save Money

In Summer, I hang out my clothes to dry. In the winter, I use half a fabric softner sheet. I never have static.

If you like venison, have yourself added to your Highway Patrols' calling list for hit deer. My DH cuts it up and packages it himself. We got 2 deer last year, 1 this year.

Keep my lights off. I turn all the lights off in my house except in the room I'm in.

I LOVE books but instead of buying them, I check them out at the library.

We have a local radio station with a program titled "Tradio". We can call in to buy,sell,trade any item under $200. I've gotten free canning jars, $20 dresser, $20 snowblower, etc. I've sold old microwaves, bikes, tires that way. Sure beats waiting for a garage sale.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

When money was tight, I learned to be frugal. Then when we were flush, I decided to stay frugal. Just because you have it to spare, doesn't mean you have to spend it. There will be lean times and flush times, making frugality an all-the-time habit has been a good thing for me. Staying frugal even when you don't "have to" enables you to have the money to spare when you come across a real bargain. Which brings me to....

It is frugal to spend money to stock up on a GREAT DEAL. When boneless skinless chicken breasts were $1.59 a lb, I stocked up ... twice that week... and even got a raincheck on top of that. If I hadn't been frugal the last few months, would I have the reserves to buy a whole slew of it to stock up?

I have recently found a source for ground turkey at 79 a lb all the time. Now that is CHEAP and good protein.

One of my favorite things to do is to save coupons for anything I WILL use, even if it's more than I need, and then when they show up as Buy One Get One Free, I have extras on hand. For instance... I wear lipstick. Although i'm willing to use cheapie lipsticks, this is one of those things that I find I prefer the quality of the more expensive ones. Last week, Walgreen's had L'Oreal Color Riche lipsticks, normally $7.49, they were Buy one for $6.99 and get the second one free. I had TWO $3 off coupons. I got those two luxury lipsticks for 99, less than the cheapest bargain brand, and the quality is superb. Whenever I see those coupons, I clip them, whether I need lipstick or not. When the bargain appears, I'm ready.

My hubby recently started coloring his hair (shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone!). I found that men's hair color kits cost more than women's, plus they don't include rubber gloves, and the quantity is less. Well, his hair is pretty short and I have my own gloves in the house anyway, LOL, but here is what we do now: using my coupons, I bought two kits of hair color when they were BOGOF. We pour half the developer into a cup, mix half the color into the bottle, and do his hair. Afterwards, he cleans out the squeeze bottle and puts the reserved developer back in it. A month later, we mix the remaining developer in, and voila... two for the price of one. The brand he likes is normally about $5.99 a kit, but if I BOGOF, that is $3 per kit, but if I have two $1 off coupons, that is $2 per kit, but if we only use half at a time, that is only $1 per application. For that price, I can afford hubby to be vain about his hair.

They just love me at Walgreen's.

Rani
Old 02-23-2002, 05:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I Love Walgreens! We don't have them here but I use to shop there in AZ.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Little things we do to save,(my 9 yo ds helped me write this)
1. Stay out of Walmart, Target etc. as much as possible.
2. Pack lunches for school and work.
3. Utilize handmedowns from friends,neigbors, and family
4. Hang out clothes on the line.
5. Shop loss leaders, Aldi's.
6. Programmable thermostat is set to 65 daytime and 62 at night.
7. Garden for fun, exercise and food.
8. Use up leftovers
9. Read newspaper online
10.Yard Sales, Auctions and Tag Sales for entertainment, gifts and needed items.
11. Potluck dinners with friends and family instead of going out to restaurants.
12. Shop clearance and after holiday sales for year-round gifts.
13. Have birthday parties at home with creativity and forethought instead of loud, expensive, impersonal sites.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Great Ideas! I have to make myself stay out of Dollar General and Kmart and Wal-mart too!

We try to pack lunches for work most of the time, occaisionally we still eat lunch out for treats! I was amazed how much we were spending on,lunches out everyday before we started packing our own!
Old 02-24-2002, 06:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ways I Save

Every week I make out a 7 day menu for dinners and DH's lunches

I write out my grocery list, and stick to it

When I go grocery shopping, I always take my calculator and add up items as they are put into the trolley. This saves me from overspending and from getting a nasty shock at the checkout.

I NEVER take my kids or DH shopping with me - ever!

I try all kinds of generic brands

I hang washing out on the line rather than use the dryer

Always wash full loads and I use less detergent than recommended - it always does just as well to use half as much

I bake my own biscuits, cakes and slices

DH takes packed lunch to work each day

Borrow books, magazines and videos from the Library rather than buy them

Buy kids clothes from thrift shops - I have picked up so many bargains for them this way, and they grow out of things so quickly.

I rotate their toys once a month, keeping 2/3 stored away, this stops them getting bored so quickly with things.

I keep a small box for all my 'wasted' paper from the printer, and the kids use the blank sides for drawing etc.

I buy good quality shoes and boots - I would rather spend $100 on one pair of shoes I get lots of wear out of, than $50 on a pair of shoes I would only wear once or twice.

there are more, I just cant think of them right now....

also - if anyone has any suggestions on the following, please share them with me...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
making playdoh (I need a simple recipe)

making glitter pens - I presume I could buy vials of glitter and mix them with a clear drying glue?

thanks everyone