Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

Good evening all!!

I became frugal when I was a kid, and my father died when I was nine, my mother couldn't take care of the 4 of us, and we were shuttled off to an aunt and uncle who did not love us. We ate ok, but the clothes were all hand-me-downs (they didn't spend money on us if at all possible), except for my birthday (September) when all the other kids got school clothes for school, and I got one outfit as a birthday gift so they didn't have to buy me anything else.

As soon as I realized all this, I began picking up glass soda bottles and turning them in to the convenience stores for cash ($.02 a regular bottle and $.05 for the really big ones), this was in the 60's. As I got older I began to babysit, make Barbie doll clothes (hand sewn), and earn money for the clothes, snacks, etc. that I wanted.

Then my mother got custody of my sister and I, and I continued this with some help from a very frugal grandmother. She taught me to crochet, and use the sewing machine. I made all my own school/church clothes, and earned money to get a new winter coat each year.

As a senior in high school, I worked in a work-study program, and worked a 40 hour work week, while carrying 1/2 a school load and teaching in my church.

So, when I got out on my own, and was sharing an apartment with 2 other girls, I pretty much knew how to make it on my own, and taught the others who came and went as apartment-mates some of what I knew. I was working in a prison and going from grant-to-grant as far as working opportunities went. I learned how to do a lot more crafts, and how to further strerch those dollars.

When I moved back to Egg Harbor City, I was earning a very minimal salary. I actually had only $13 a week for food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc.

Couponing? I went from buying 1 paper a week, with the deal with myself that I had to use enough of the coupons to pay for buying the paper (cost at that time $1). That was sometimes tough, but I learned how to work it.

Thrift stores are wonderful. And I use them often.

Now I have a house, stockpiles, give generously to my church's food pantry and free store, get a vacation each year, and still am disciplined about how I spend the money I earn.

Take care all!! Norma

Now I own a house

So, when I got out on my own
Old 11-03-2014, 09:19 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

For me, frugality, and practicing thrifty ways, started way back when I was in my single digits. My mom was a staunch practitioner of reusing things until there was nothing left to reuse, and as far as disposable things went, out of the question. My mom wouldn't have seen to the day where she used anything disposable, so like mom, like daughter... I followed in her footsteps.

Frugality always made total and complete sense to me. Not only is being frugal a good thing for the environment and all things non-renewable, frugality makes for a more fun and interesting experience as a homemaker, providing one with a more creative canvas and atmosphere as far as outside-the-box thinking goes, and for me that always kept things interesting.

Plus, having been raised in the 60's when disposable things were still (for the most part) unheard of, it just seemed automatic to choose (and use) reusable things.

Still, I'm hopelessly old-fashioned at heart, so most everything I remember in the way of the old days- and how things were done, tended to spark my interest (in a really big way), resulting in me wanting to relive the days of old and carry on with past tradition, and so I did!

But what really catapulted me towards frugality, was having six kids. You quickly learn that making homemade baby food and formula, trumps buying it at the store, and the option to choose disposable diapers (for six little bottoms) quickly fades to one of no option. For us, affording the expense of disposable diapers wasn't an option, however, even if we had been in a position to afford disposables, I wouldn't have gone that route anyway, simply because I had helped my mom with baby siblings when I was younger, and that included changing diapers (cloth), plus I had done general babysitting right up to when I had my first child, and cloth diapers were what mothers were still using back then, so I knew it would be cloth, too, if I ever had a family.

From there, it just became easier and easier for me to adopt and introduce new frugal ways into my life (and home), which to this day graces me with a sense of warmth knowing I was able to be as frugal as I have been throughout the years, and being able to experience a more old-fashioned existence in a modern world is oh so very liberating!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

For me becoming frugal was a gradual process. I didn't just wake up one day to be already frugal. Each day is a thought regarding how can I do something better, or how can I accomplish a task in the least expensive way.

So frugality is a process for me. In the same vane as reclaiming "old fashion" ideas.

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 05-05-2015, 05:06 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

bump!
Old 05-05-2015, 05:22 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochet2 View Post
As I got older I began to babysit
Let me guess... back in the .25 to .50 an hour days? The trials and tribulations us old-fashioned babysitters endured!

I was just talking about this with my oldest sister the other evening...

.50 an hour
crying/fussing babies
terrible two's (stage)
spanking
cloth diapers and rubber pants (with pins)
making formula
having Pablum spit on you
doing laundry/housework/cleaning
Old 05-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I grew up in a family that used coupons, turned the heat down and wore sweaters in the winter, and grew 6-8 tomato plants in the summer canning the extras.

Now I combine technology with saving money with the digital coupons and coupon rebate apps that are available. When shopping for clothes we check the thrift stores first.

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/c...2015-a-15.html

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...sing-them.html

Roberta