Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What Helped Me Become Frugal....

What Helped Me Become Frugal was when My Dad became Disabled back in 1992 when I was just 12 years old!!
I learned from that experience to never take things for granted especially regular things like snacks, school supplies, & clothes just to name a few.
I have been frugal now for at least 10 years!!
I am staying frugal because I am a stay at home mom who homeschools and my DH works but doesn't make much !!
So I find Frugallity helps my family out a whole lot more !!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 03-14-2002, 11:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well having three kids and needing a house for this family. I get tired of spending unwisely and not having money or going to the store and then still not being able to think of something for a meal. It's more of an " I need to get organized" deal.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:55 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, I need to be MORE frugal right now--we're trying to save our house (again:mad: ) and we all need to cut back on our frivolous spending! It hasn't been to bad, but there are ares we can cut back and not be hurting on(ie, I baked cookies/muffins for lunches instead of buying prepackaged stuff at the store). I've been a bit lazy about hanging clothes--I've been tossing everything in the dryer. If we want to stay here, I'm going to have to really tighten our budget--here's hoping dh cooperates!
Old 03-14-2002, 05:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My DH has been working two jobs so that I can stay home with our son. He has been doing it for over a year now. We still have a long way to go with debt but we can see the end of the tunnel. THAT is what inspired me to start implementing ways to be frugal. I want my husband back home!
Old 03-16-2002, 04:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What caused me to be more frugal?

I guess I would have to say it was because I never seemed to have $$ at the end of payday. When I met my dh he had just gone through a divorce and had mega debt (10000 +) and he didn't own a home or a car and was living ing a house his parents owned and only paid $50 a month for. Anyway, I had just finished nursing school and was a single parent to dd. I had my own debt school and cc. We tried to find things to do with and without kids that did not cost alot of $$$. When we got serious and started planinng for wedding we decided that we didn't want to live our new life together under debt so I started working call (OT) in th OR and he picked up extra jobs doing carpentry. We managed to get out of debt enough to buy a house in three years. Now the house is an old farm house that we are fixing up but we plan and save to do 1 or 2 rooms a year. My step children think that we are made of $$$ but we aren't we just watch the spending and save for what we want.
I read everything I can on frugal living and debt reduction My hope is to not work but I don't think that is possible. Part time would be nice though. I keep stiving for the larger saving account.
I also keep tring to teach my children and step children the value of the $$$$.

Sue
Wife to Bob
Mom to 4
Old 10-31-2013, 07:34 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I like the way simple frugal living made me feel, and being raised in a home where simple and frugal, reined supreme, it was a no-brainer to me as far as doing the right thing... so following in my own mothers footsteps, I went with it, too, and not once have I ever looked back!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Growing up we never had a lot but had what we needed. Hand me downs from the neighbors were passed around from house to house. Grandparents bought us a new winter coat every other year. We rarely ate out or had fast food a real treat would be if Mom brought home sandwiches and we would make fries and milk shakes while she was out.

A am frugal now because DH & I never made a lot of money and were trying to build a savings account and retirement fund. When the kids came along I did what I could to stretch the money.

Now DH is disabled and we are living on what I make which isn't enough to cover all the bills so we do what we can to make it go as far as possible.

Roberta
Old 03-11-2014, 04:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Couponing is the way to save a chunk from your budget or be able to get more from what little you have to spend.

There are coupons for food, over the counter meds, makeup, personal care products, car maintenance, restaurant food, school supplies, pet food, etc.

Drug stores and the grocery store are going to compete for your business with their sales, extra coupons plus their rewards programs.

Roberta
Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

For me I began one day to think...someone somewhere made this with their hands so why can't I learn how to do it. I grew up with enough to live on but no extras, not eating out, working for tuition breaks, no allowance, no clothes other than hand me downs and new shoes each year, entertainment was the back door being open and playing outside, we did have a tv though and funny enough a roast or spaghetti dinner many Sundays. I was always hungry, I remember that. So if there is no money I know how to get by.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 03-24-2014, 09:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Being frugal started as a necessity. I discovered, though, after it wasn't quite as imperative, that I really like this way of life. It is me. I am neither a miser nor a skinflint, but I think it is important to be mindful about our lifestyle. We don't have to impress anyone with what we have. What is impressive is doing our best (at least most of the time) with what we have.