Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:32 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mominga, what you do for your family is great. But I beg to differ on one point--when you save money, you're making money! Just ask my dh--he wasn't too keen on frugality until I asked him if I could keep all the "spare change" I saved. At the end of the month it was a few hundred bucks that would've gone right out the window!
Old 02-25-2002, 07:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

When my daughters were little, I also made their baby food. It was so much more affordable. I also had bought a book called "Feed me, I'm Yours". It has lots of ideas for your baby, including snacks you can make.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

For me, I kinda started doing some frugal stuff, after reading Miserly Moms, as a kind of hobby.

But as time's passed, we've amassed a good deal of credit card debt, so now frugality is a necessity.

I'm also a SAHM and homeschooling mom, and in order to keep it that way, I employ as many money-saving techniques as possible.

I've read all three TWG books, and the Complete TWG. I read them over and over and OVER again.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question

justGina...i have read all 3 TWG but I have not read the complete TWG. Is there different info in it than the original 3?

I have not read Miserly Moms. My library does not have it and I have not purchased it yet.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What helped me Become Frugal

I became frugal out of necessity- we like to eat and pay bills! Since layoff comes each winter, I 've learned to survive on only my sparse income. My best frugal idea is making my own laundry soap. I've found if I use two bars of Ivory soap (grated and dissolved in 1/2 gallon of water., add two cups of washing soda and put in 5 gallons of hot water. It turnes into a nice gel. I use an old measuring cup and use 1/2 as much as the original recipe and only have to make it once a month. Works as well as most name brands.
When making baby food, put the cooled food in ice cube trays and freeze it. When frozen, place cubes in a freezer bag. When it's meal time, just grab a meat, vegetable and fruit- baby's dinner is done! (I made ground meat for my son, by cooking up chicken, beef, turkey and using the blender.)
Old 03-06-2002, 04:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Laundry Soap the homemade way

I was just wondering .....what kind of container do you all use when making your own laundry soap? I have thought about trying some of the recipes I have seen, but do not know what to put it in!
Thanks for all the help ahead of time!!! Cathy
Old 03-06-2002, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi

Depending on which recipe youre using, some people use 5 gallon buckets and some use old liquid laundry detergent bottles. I have read that some have had trouble with the bottles though because it needs to be stirred and of course you cant do it in the bottle. Hope this helps a little bit. Im sure someone that makes it all of time will give you more info.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I keep my laundry soap in a five gallon bucket with a lid. (I took it from the supply hidden in the garage!) I tried putting it in an old "brand name" dispenser, but it was too thick and didn't work well. Does anybody have a recipe for fabric softner that also works for static cling besides the vinegar and baking soda (that is a mess and doesn't work) Thanks
Old 03-07-2002, 02:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

catrose, I read on one of the frugal living email lists I'm on that a 5 x 5 inch piece of aluminum foil in the dryer with your clothes cuts out static cling. And you can use the same piece several times.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: Getting frugal

Your Yoda quote is my favorite quote in the whole world. DH hates it when I throw that one at him.

I'm sorry to hear about your DH.
Attached Images