Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 12-31-2002, 01:25 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Things I did today to save money

Even though I did spend a few bucks to do it lol!! I spent $2 on thread(5 spools for $1). I got white so I can sew dh's socks(darning on my sewing machine) instead of buying two new packs. I bought 5 spools of assorted colors that match our towels, so I can hem the edges instead of buying all new towels. (They are fraying like crazy around the edges!) I then cut apart some of the towels that were on their last legs to use as cleaning rags, instead of buying paper towels and some new scrubbie sponges. I also stopped by the thrift store and spent .20 cents on two pairs of dress shoes for ds1 for church--they were a bit scuffed, but some black shoe polish took care of that lol!! I even started my X-mas shopping for next year--the store that had the thread on sale had some kids' stuff(stocking stuffers) that I picked up--I spent less than 5 bucks for 5 kids. At the grocery store, I bought lemons to add to water instead of buying soda. I also got a great deal on Poptarts at Target, even though I wasn't looking lol. They had big boxes of them on sale, but had to sub the smaller ones because they ran out--I had bogof coupons for the smaller ones so I grabbed them. Ds loves them in his snack for school! More importantly, I DID NOT WANDER through the store to see what they had--I just got the stuff on my list and got out of there!

And that's it--it's not a lot, but I'm really trying to cut back some more for the new year.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

What I did to save $$ today!! My youngest had a wrestling meet and I took a bag full of snacks a a small luch bag with drinks. Of course there was a big sign that said "NO COOLERS":mad: So i stopped and put it the bottom of my bag and zipped it up and walked in. and I didnt make one phone call today on the regular phone or cell phone.(seen my parents at the wrestling meet)
Old 01-05-2003, 06:12 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hehe--don't you just love big purses? I used to do that going to the movies! I do it going to the mall, too, so the kids can play in the play area. I usually buy a small soda, so nothing can be said, but it's still a lot cheaper than buying the food there!!

My biggest challenge is the phone bill--our families live a ways away(far enough to be long-distance!) so we don't see them often. And we live in the sticks and are basically stuck with one LD carrier! But I've cut way back on the calls I make, and I keep them shorter. If they had comps, I'd just e-mail them, but they don't, so I can't.

Good job saving!! Every little bit adds up, even if it doesn't seem like much at the time!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

what I did today to save moneyh

Today is a snowy cold day in Missouri. They cancelled school today so the kids are home. Hubby had to go out and told me he would bring something home for supper tonight.
I told him not to and and have a big pot of Ham and beans on cooking, plus fried potatoes with onions cooked with them and I'm making cornbread to go with it.
I added it up and for our family of 6 I saved a lot of dollars by not letting him bring home takeout food.
Lauraleah in Missouri
Old 01-17-2003, 04:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

Well it was my youngest birthday. I made his cake and decorated it myself. and he picked a inexpensive birthday meal. Chili dogs and cream of mushroom soup. I always have those food items on hand. My biggest expense was a gift. which we got a BigLots a $35 little stereo. He is 11 and he isn't tuned into the big $$ items like the older ones. Of course he did want some games for his game system but we went a different route and he was happy with it. Oh and my big $$ saver this week has been brown bagging it for lunch at work. I've probally saved $10-$15 .
Old 01-17-2003, 10:04 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

lauraleah--you are more than welcome to send me any leftovers lol!! My family loves ham and beans!!

nocashmissy--wish your guy a happy b-day from us! I think it's great that he's not really affected by the "gimmes". My son isn't either, but his cousin is(he's a year older.) It drives me nuts when we visit them--he is very much into the "i want's". And I think you'll really enjoy taking your lunch to work. I did brown-bag gourmet for a long time--it's nice once you can move past "just sandwiches". The guys at the shop were always amazed at the stuff I would bring, as opposed to PB&J or bologna. I had wraps, soups, stirfrys, pasta--you name it. Most of them thought a thermos was just for coffee lol!(We didn't have a microwave).

My $$ saver today was making pancakes for breakfast--we're out of cereal and I am trying to make it through for another week without going grocery shopping. I looked in the cupboards, saw the stuff, and said, "why not?". The leftovers are in the freezer for another day.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Im trying to stick to my guns and use up all of the leftovers in the frig. before going grocery shopping. We are REALLY bad at throwing food away. I planned on doing the shopping today but decided instead to clean out the frig. I found 2 boneless chicken breasts in the freezer, leftover spag. sauce that needs to be eaten instead of frozen because its been in there a while, a little bit of salad mix, & some cheese. So tonights meal is going to be a quick version of chicken parmesian(sp). I doubt my family will be thrilled with it since we just had rigatoni earlier this week but they can deal with it.

I made breakfast for dinner one night last week too to stretch the food even farther. I had soooo many eggs.....for some reason I guess I thought that I was going to run out of eggs while making cookies for the holidays so I stocked up...A LOT, LOL!! We had poached eggs on toast and DS had grilled cheese.

Happy Weekend Everyone!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-17-2003, 04:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

I am just happy as a lark A friend at work tipped me off to a local store had Jif peanut butter for .99 (18oz) limit 2. I thought about it all day at work. Cheap peanut butter, 3 kids no school monday hmmm i have coupons . So I made a pit stop on my way home. Of course I had to scan the discontinued items and meat markdowns. So this is my steal of the week.
2 jars Jif- .99 ea. after coupon .29 ea.
1 pck Always pads. 2.99 after coupon Free
1 box Cookies & Milkyway bars 2.99 after coupon Free
3 pks pork ribs( like 4 to a pack) total $7 after coupons $3
Total $4.01
The free coupons were from the store cash register. I got them awhile back for buying so many items.
Then on my way home I picked up 4 movies from the library(FREE)
and then I fixed Pigs in a blanket (of left over hotdogs and shredded cheese and onions from last night) DH was not happy and tonite I'm going to enjoy a cup of homemade hotchocolate stirred w/ a homemade cinnamon stick dipped in chocolate. HEAVEN
Old 01-17-2003, 06:27 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Woohoo!! You go, girl!! I LOVE those checkout coupons! Bad me--a few years ago(beforeI had kids) Carnation was giving them out for free baby formula. You got one every time you bought another brand. I worked at the grocery store, and most of the women that had WIC would give me the coupons, so I'd use them and get all this baby formula. Why? Because the store gives $20 cash back for every $200 you spend on baby stuff. So every month or so I'd get $20, and the formula went to the local women's shelter(I did have SOME scruples, after all) I wouldn't do it now, but thought it was a good idea at the time.
If I did it now, I'd give the shelter the $$$, too!

ajrsmom--we're bad about throwing food away, too. It goes in the fridge with the best of intentions...and then just stays until it can look back at us lolol!! We're getting better at it, though. I've taken to leaving notes on the fridge to remind dh to grab his lunch, or to myself to reheat stuff for lunch, or at least bag it and stick it in the freezer!;-) It helps a lot, because I'm the one that usually forgets the stuff is in there!
Old 01-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
What I wouldve done for those formula coupons!! I used Carnation for my son and plan to do so with this baby too. Im sure the shelters were very thankful for your donations too.

I stuck to my guns and cleaned out the frig. for tonights dinner. It actually turned out very good. You know youre doing ok when my son replies " Oh Mommy did it again, she is the best cooker!!"

Grocery shopping is on the menu for tomorrow. Im hitting the sales and trying to buy one item for 2 meals......at least

WalMart has the 2 pack of pork tenderloins- one will be grilled on the GF grill and the other will become tangy chops

Beef roast is one sale here this week so I figure one meal will be bar-b-que beef sands. and the other will be beef and gravy over noodles

Then hamburger is on sale too.... one meal stuffed pepper soup, one meal HM sloppy joes and one for South of the border pizza
a little hamburger can be stretched a long way for these.

I saved a little by buying a sm. spool of thread for sewing Dh's coat---he ripped the sleeve but instead of taking it to get fixed, Im doing it myself...not a sewing master at all but I thin I can handle this. ( hopefully )

Our really big savings is coming from complaining to 2 restaurants about the quality of the food that was served to us. Within a month we had a late dinner at Kings family restaurant and lunch at Long John Silvers--big mistake both times!. I wrote to them on their websites and both restaurant general managers contacted me. The end result from both places......a full refund of our money AND free dinner coupons to try them again. Im very happy with the end results!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!