Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 11-11-2002, 03:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Grocery Shopping - How Often?

My apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong section, I just wasnt sure where to post it.

I was wondering whether or not there would be an advantage to doing a grocery shop each fortnight, rather than weekly? Does anyone have an opinion on this? I really want to cut down my grocery costs, and thought perhaps there might be some value to shopping every 2nd week rather than each week.

Obviously I would still need to go out for fresh fruit, veg and milk.

Any ideas? How often do YOU shop?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2002, 04:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

no luck shopping every other week

I tried shopping every other week and was unsuccessful... I always ended up over spending one week to make sure I wouldn't run out of food before the end of the two weeks.

Then my husband would eat all the kids lunch snacks, figuring there was plenty!

Lourdes

Old 11-12-2002, 07:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes, I shop once a week now, too. Otherwise we don't have any fruit and salad makings in the house. We also drink a lot of milk, so we seem to be always out of that. And the grocery store specials have been soooo good lately.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, I tried it out today, did a fortnight's worth of shopping, basing my menus around what I have in freezer and pantry at the moment. My total came to$45, which I was very pleased with, but of course I will have to buy fresh milk, fruit and vege next week (probably another $10 worth).

DH is working away from home, so there is no problem for me of having the food all eaten in a week, as I have very young children and no teenagers

I must admit, I dont think fortnightly shopping would work with DH around, but I will continue to trial it for a while during his absence and see how much I can save.

Also picked up a heap of cheap chicken buys today, and some cheap lamb, and was able to stock up on those.

Old 11-13-2002, 11:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My kids eat everything in the house, so I have to shop weekly too. I plan out a whole month's menus at a time, and write out a basic grocery list for each of the four weeks. It helps me budget.

But honestly I have to update the grocery list before I go shopping because it's never 100% right. Sometimes we eat extra, or less, or our plans change, or we run out of something I didn't anticipate.

Extra trips to the store usually result in extra 'stuff' too, so I try to only go once a week.

Dawny
Old 11-13-2002, 12:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb weekly specials

I used to work at a grocery store - some specials rotate on a 4 week basis. If you are going every 2 weeks, you may be missing out on certain specials. For instance, if you drink soda, take a look at the price of a 2-liter of Coke at your favorite grocery store once a week for the next four weeks. I bet your "chart" will come out something like this: .99, 1.19, 1.29, 1.19 . This is on an average basis. There are also extra-special sales and such which throw the cycle off, but on the whole this is how it works.

So if you're going to go every 2 weeks, check the papers and make sure that you're getting the best deals on your staples and high-ticket items. And I would also check the weeks in between and be flexible to pick something up if there's a great sale.

That said, I usually have a "big" trip every two weeks. In between, I pick up perishables and whatever we ran out of, and anything that's an unbelievable sale. Also, I occassionally go to the "dented can" store to restock the pantry when I can afford a little extra.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm a weekly shopper. mainly because I don't make a list and invariably forget things. Or I'll decide on something to fix for dinner and need ingredients. I know I spend more this way but I DO shop the sales at least. I just hate it though when the store has a great sale one week and I stock up, then the next week they'll have something I really need on sale and I jsut went for last weeks sale. Example: I went to Food Lion Tuesday to get the toilet paper they had on sale and of course wound up buying other items. The very next day (when the toilet paper was no longer on sale of course) they put my favorite laundry detergent on sale! ARG! I NEED detergent too! It was $2 more th day beofe but probably would have been cheaper to get it than go back now and spend MORE money.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 11-16-2002, 07:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

After many, many years of grocery shopping, trying various methods, I have concluded that weekly is best. On Sunday I cut out all the coupons, check the ads for the week and write my list. At the store I sometimes find a special that wasn't listed, usually in the produce, so I get that. Our drug store sells milk cheaper than the supermarket so we always buy our milk there.

There is a SuperTarget near us so when I'm in there I always check out any really good specials. That's the only extra I get.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi I do mine weekly. I buy for our store every 2 weeks so I get my stables there. I catch the meats specials in the big grocery stores..

This be Tree
Old 11-16-2002, 08:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My husband is paid monthly, so I do the bulk of the shopping a few days after payday, and cook for the freezer. The less time i spend in the store, the less I spend. Sales seem to be cyclical, so I do stock as much as I think will last until the next special, and do a mini cooking session. I also buy some of our staples from a bulk supplier at nearly wholesale prices. I always read the ads, and if a great buy on something we're running low on comes up, I pick it up when I go out for the fresh things. I spend less the more I stay away from the store. As for snacks being scarfed down, I buy them once a month, and after that dh and the teens can get their own with their spending money.