FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Tightwad Tips (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/tightwad-tips/)
-   -   What is your favorite frugal thing too do? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/tightwad-tips/4490-what-your-favorite-frugal-thing-too-do.html)

aubry 01-16-2002 12:45 PM

What is your favorite frugal thing too do?

Ok, I have too admit I love being frugal! Even if I didn't have too, which I do!:D It's just fun too find new ways too save money! it has become a game in my house. And I love telling people about it even when they think I'm off the wall!:-P::
I like making my own laundry detergent, my own handsoap. I try too make most of my bread and baked goods from scratch. Kneading the bread dough is good for getting out the days frustrations!
I also like too make alot of home made mixes. Right now in my cupboard I have cream of anything soup, potato soup, chicken rice, ranch style dressing and my all time favorite oatmeal muffin mix. ^^
Any one else have any they want too share?

otheila 01-16-2002 01:18 PM

I do alot of preserving:jam's, jellies, pie fillings,pickles, chow......
I really enjoy that stuff. I also like, I'm not sure how to explain it, making stuff from nothing ?? Recycling stuff? Best exampl I can give right now is one of dh's projects. dd broke my fav. lamp so with some adjustments dh made it into a beautiful vase for me.
I too enjoy being frugal in order to stay home with dd kinda have to be. I find it to be challange on what I can get for a half decent price but still get quality stuff :)

aubry 01-17-2002 10:19 AM

I have never tried my hand at canning, but I hope too next year. I am going too atempt my first garden this summer we will see how it goes!:eek: I live in an apt. and never had a chance before, but my landlords are moving out of the first floor, so I am hoping too take over the garden, this year. I want too try both canning and freezing. I am going too get a freezer in the next few months. I'll let you know how I make out!:-D

Amanda 01-17-2002 11:09 AM

I'm trying my hand at my first garden this year too! I've grown herbs in my yard before, but this time I'm actually going to plant a garden, a real one! LOL I just happened to see this article this morning, I am saving it to read tonight when it's quieter around here. Just in case you're interested!

Starting Your First Vegetable Garden
http://www.gardenguides.com/articles/veggie.htm

lucy locket 01-18-2002 10:12 PM

my favourite frugal thing is finding free stuff. I live in the country and the are fruit trees dotted around on the road sides and usually the owners dont mind if I pick some for bottling or jamming. My mum just gave me some plums (so I made jam and will freeze a few) and some blackcurrants (so I made some blackcurrant syrup for over the winter- rich in vit C for colds etc)Mum has made heaps of jam so I'll swap her some of the apricot jam I made for some of her blackcurrant. I had to pay for the apricots but they were pretty cheap at $1.79 a kilo ( thats just over 2 pounds for you guys). My dad taught me never to turn down anything thats free cos if I dont have a use for it someone I know might. Needless to say we are both kind of "packrats"but I am learning to "declutter" as Im also a "messy":daisy: I love crafting and recycling materials eg scrap fabric into dolly clothes or quilts, anything really.

charlen 01-19-2002 11:01 AM

My favorite thing to do, is flea markets and yard sales. I always go with an open mind. I look for new things that I can give as gifts, antiques and collectibles, and good household things. I set up at the flea market and resell things a few times a year to make extra money. I try to make different catagories: 1) gifts, 2) things that I can make money on, and 3) whatever I can use, or replace something that I already have. Then I resell the old one.
:p

justGina 01-23-2002 07:52 PM

My favorites are quilting :heart:, sewing, and gardening :daisy:, in that order. I also enjoy dumpster-diving (not so much since the cops got after me after diving at Dollar General, ROFL! ROFLMAO), baking from scratch, and finding a new use for something that is ordinarily thrown away.

kimmyo 01-24-2002 06:51 PM

My favorite frugal things to do are:

yard sales

library

cooking from scratch

baking

gardening and canning

:)

Amanda 01-24-2002 06:58 PM

I would have to say that mine is making crafts out of things I wuold normally throw away :)

kimmyo 01-24-2002 07:12 PM

I just couldn't pick only one thing! There's sooo many I like to do!:-D