Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 01-31-2002, 10:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Aubry,

I am really intrigued with your recipe for laundry soap. I will try it but I now have 10 - 100 oz bottles of Tide in my basement - it was an excellent sale. But just one question, what is "washing soda"? I don't believe I've ever heard of that. Thanks for the recipe!
Old 01-31-2002, 11:04 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

You can find washing soda in the grocery store in the laundry isle Arm & Hammer makes it, they have it in a yellow box. You can use it in conjuction with regular store bought laundry soap also.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-01-2002, 07:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks, Amanda!
Old 02-01-2002, 08:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Laundry Soam

I have to agree - Thanks for the laundry soap recipe - it is wonderful. I would love to see your hand soap recipe and all purpose cleaner. Any way to save a dollar helps us all

Thanks again

Jackied
Old 02-01-2002, 02:30 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hello all,
Here goes:

Handsoap

1 bar of soap(any kind) I used Jergens it was the cheapest
2 Tab. of glycerin- can be found in most drugstores by the bandaids
1/2 Gal of water- best too use bottled water if you have very hard water where you live

Grate the bar of soap and melt in a pan of water. Pour into a 1/2 gal container add glycerin and rest of water. Pour into soap containers you already have.
Thats it! I made it up a gallon at a time and figure it cost me $2.66 a gallon. The store bought generic hand soap usually cost me $1.50 for a 16oz container. I made 128oz- that is a savings of almost $10.
I will try and post the cleaner receipe later, once I find it!
Old 02-02-2002, 03:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have to admit that I have not done anything frugal (that I can think of anyway).

I guess I should now take a long hard look at everything I do to see what I can frugalize!
Old 02-05-2002, 07:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Laundry Soap

Thanks for the handsoap recipe, Aubry!

loved the laundry detergent!!!!!! It worked great and what a savings! I have really bad hard water too, wonder if we put a cup of Biz or powdered clorox in the recipe if it would help with the dingies??? I'll probably try it next time. (couldn't hurt)

Gonna take the Gardening plunge for the first time any and all helpful fugal tips on that from anyone would be appreciated.

Have a great day...All!
Old 02-05-2002, 11:56 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: Laundry Soap

You and me both KIMMY! This is a great topic, I'll start a thread in the gardening forum!

Quote:
Originally posted by KIMMY

Gonna take the Gardening plunge for the first time any and all helpful fugal tips on that from anyone would be appreciated.

Have a great day...All!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-05-2002, 01:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

Hi everyone,
I was watching Oprah last week, Wed or Thursday I think, and she had a guest financial advisor who wrote a book. Would anybody know what it was called. All I can remember was that it had a yellow cover. I don't want to say what I think it was called because that may throw someone from thinking of the REAL name. I will say though that the author was a woman.
Thanks in advance and Ciao for now,
Irene
ps.....boy will I feel stupid if I start reading the postings in this thread and others in 'frugal living' and find my answer in there. I am ashamed to say I haven't read them yet
Ciao again,
Irene
Old 02-05-2002, 02:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

BOOK ON OPRAH

Irene,

Go to www.oprah.com and look under Oprah's books seen on the show. They are separated by Month and Year. I looked but I don't see one that is yellow from a financial adviser. Maybe it was a different type of title.

Hope this helps you

Jackied