Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 01-25-2002, 05:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Favorite frugal things (see, I couldn't limit myself, either):

gardening of all types (1 acre veggie, assorted flower beds and an orchard);

propagating plants;

seed saving (especially heirloom seeds);

saving $$$ anywhere I can without anyone else knowing I am doing so (love that mindset!);

continually refining my game plan for simplifying my life (such as reducing a two-income household down to one, reducing the amount of material possessions I don't want or need but have, reducing stress and pressure, whittling away at anything and everything that I don't love to do that consumes my time, my energy or my resources, etc.).

Sandie
Old 01-25-2002, 09:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Everyone!

My favorite frugal things to do are:

1. Keep looking for the lowest price on everything! Including insurance and necessities.

2. Cook from scratch.

3. Shop for clothes at thrift store.

4. Keep the heat as low as possible in the house and still be comfortable.

5. Send bagged lunches with my family.

6. Don't shop for entertainment. Much too dangerous for me!

7. We use our clothes, bedding, towels, etc. until they are truly worn out. Not just until we are tired of them.

8. Recently bought a Keeper(alternative to tampons). Haven't tried it yet, but I hope to save alot of money using it!

I could go on and on, but I don't want to put anyone to sleep!

Jenna
Old 01-25-2002, 09:58 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Jenna,
I'm curious too see how you like the keeper, when you try it. if you don't mind sharing. I've been considering it. I tried the Instead disposables, but I didn't like them. They moved around too much and leaked, but the keeper fits different and comes in an after birth size. it would sure save so much money, I figured it would pay for itself within a year!
Old 01-25-2002, 10:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi aubry,

I will let you know when I try it! I tried Instead too and didn't like it either. It leaked really badly for me too, probably because I couldn't get it in the right place. It also gave me bad cramps.

I have got my Keeper the other day. I am a bit worried because it looks so big! From the instructions, you sort of fold it up and put it about the same place a tampon goes. Still looks really big, even folded up! LOL!

Wish me luck! LOL!:p
Old 01-26-2002, 11:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My favorite frugal thing to do is buying peppers. Now, that sounds crazy, I KNOW. My supermarket sells green peppers, usually 2 or 3/$1, and then the expensive color peppers (red, orange, yellow) are generally $3.99/lb, but right now on sale for $1.99/lb. I think that is an absurd price. They don't sell that many at that price and as a result, they usuall have some that are ever-so-slightly wrinkled and overripe. I will pick over the color peppers and bag up about a dozen and ask the produce man to mark them down. Usually, I get a dozen for 50 or 75. At that price, I make stuffed peppers, and what a luxury THAT taste is! I slice, dice, chop, and freeze peppers and that makes my cooking much more efficient come dinner time.

Most of my other favorite frugal tricks involve home decor. I do SO much with paint. Marbleizing, ragging, etc. My house is a showplace on pennies and less.

Rani
Old 01-26-2002, 02:37 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Favorite Frugal Thing

My absolute favorite frugal thing to do is shop after the holidays for items for the following year. I become absolutely giddy at getting items for 40 to 75 percent off.;-)
Old 01-26-2002, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I love after Holiday sales too! I was at Michaels today and they had all their Christmas stuff that was left marked down to 90% off!! I got some great candles( red cinnamon scented pillars) for .69, red votives .19! I can use these for Valentines day or 4th of July! I got wrapping paper for .39 and bows .24. I found some really cute wooden Christmas plaques ( From our house to yours...Happy Holidays!) I paid .09 each! I'm going to paint them up and send to all my sisters next year for a Christmas gift!

I'm notorious for forgetting wear I've put something, so I have put a sticky note on my calendar in the month of November to remind myself where the plaques are and to get them painted.

I also found a great picture frame with stars on it in the Christmas stuff and I gave .49 for it and .49 for a small lampshade with stars. I am going to use these in the boys room (they have stars and planets on their walls and ceiling)!

So, even though it was a very unfrugal trip to the city today I managed to find some good bargains!
Old 01-28-2002, 10:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Questions

Aubry,
I would love to know how you make your own laundry detergent and ect. I am always looking for new and better ways to be frugal! I too, started because I had to so that I could stay home with my boys and home school but I tell ya it's addicting
I love it!!!!!!!! Thanks for your help!
Have a great day!
Kim
Old 01-28-2002, 07:17 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Kim,
I have been making my own laundry detergent since Sept. and I love it. My formula is:

1 bar of soap grated. I prefer felsnaptha, its a laundry bar, but you usually find it with the hand soap. Another good one too use is Kirks. Or in Canada I think Zote is a good one. I forgot too check where your from. I've heard you can also use your favorite bathbar, but I prefer a laundry bar.

1 C of washing soda
1C of borax

Melt grated soap on stove, then pour into a 5 gallon bucket, add the other ingredients and fill with hot water. Stir well It can be used immediately but will take about 24-48 hrs. too gel up. It has a rather snotty consistancy, best way too describe it! Some people will add a cup or two of store bought detergent too it, too get some smell, but I don't bother. Don't expect alot of suds, you don't need suds for it too work. I have gotten out many tough stains with this. Every couple of times I wash my whites I do add some clorox, because they tend too get dingy. But I have very hard water, where I live. I also use vinegar instead of fabric softner. It leaves the clothes feeling great and when they are dry no trace of vinegar smell is left. I sometimes use 1/4 of a fabric sheet in the dryer. But I usually don't use the dryer either, I prefer too hang dry!

I think it cost me about $2 a bucket which last me from 6-8 weeks!
Tomorrow I'll post the instructions for hand soap and all-purpose cleaner if you would like them, but I"m ready for bed now. Its been a long week! And it is only Monday!

Aubry;-)
Old 01-31-2002, 08:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanx

Thank you so much for your instructions Aubry!
I look forward to hearing about the home made soap.
Have you ever made you own shampoo?

It's almost the weekend hang in there! Thanks again!

kim