Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 03-15-2002, 04:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Home made Baby Wipes

Does anyone have any suggestions on cheaper alternatives to baby wipes?

I have heard of people cutting disposable nappy liners in half, putting them into a tub and adding a cream or oil (sorbolene??) I just cant remember what it was.

At present, I am paying $1.50 per 80 wipes, whereas I can buy 200 nappy liners for 50 cents..... so if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Thanks

Old 03-15-2002, 09:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My wipes recipe

Hello,

I got this "recipe" for baby wipes through a search on the internet:

1) First you'll need a cylindrical wipes dispenser (I just bought store-brand wipes in the round dispenser and saved the container after I used up the wipes).

2) Take a roll of name-brand paper towels (I use Bounty) and cut it in half crosswise to make two smaller rolls (my husband uses a hacksaw for this).

3) Fill your cylindrical wipes container with two cups water, 1 tablespoon baby shampoo, and 1 tablespoon baby oil (I've used only Johnson & Johnson because I read that cheaper brands may develop mold quicker). Stir to combine.

4) Insert one of the small rolls of paper towels into the liquid-filled container (you may want to remove some of the outer towels before inserting to make it easier to get them in--I did this the first time but now I just cram them in to get more wipes out of it!). Put the lid on and turn the container over and shake to saturate the towels.

5) Open the container again and remove the cardboard tube from the center. (I've found that the tube is easier to remove after it's wet. I also remove the first towel because it has the glue on it.)

6) Push the next towel from the center (the one after the one with the glue on it that you removed) through the hole in the dispenser lid. That's it!

We've been using this method for a year and a half for my son. I think it's great! I've never figured out the cost savings, though, but I assume it is cheaper than the premade wipes.

Also, the Tightwad Gazette book #1 (by Amy Dacyzyn) has a similar recipe that uses (I think) a 1/2 cup more water and 2 tablespoons of shampoo, but I found that recipe after using the other one for over a year, so I'll stick with the first one I have.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-16-2002, 03:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Homemade Baby Wipes

2 1/4 cups distilled water
2 Tbs. Baby bath or baby shampoo
1 Tbs. Baby oil
1/2 roll Bounty or other microwaveable paper towels

Cut the roll of paper towels in half (so it looks like two rolls of toilet paper) and take out the center cardboard tube. Mix the water, bath, and oil in a round 3 quart container and put the paper towels into it. Then turn it over and let the water soak the paper towels all the way through. Just pull from the center to use!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Homemade Baby Wipes

1/2 roll of paper towels (cut in half to make short rolls)
1/8-1/4 c. baby shampoo
1/8-1/4 c. baby oil
2 cups lukewarm water
1 plastic container that the rolls fit in

Cut roll in half and remove center cardboard. In Baby Wipe Container, mix liquid ingred. and place half of roll in container. Place on lid and tip upside down. To use, pull out from center.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you for these, I intend to try them later in the week!

Kind Regards

Old 04-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Homemade Wet Wipes!

The recipes others mentioned I use, but I boil the water first and my wipes last longer, also I reduced the amount of water due to soggy, drippy wipes. Just an idea.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

baby wipes and more

There is a really cool web site I found makestuff.com gives you recipes to make just about anything!

It's worth checking out!!

Old 04-19-2002, 02:02 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A wash cloth with a little baby shampoo works great for home. I remember the wipes were too convenient to give up when going out ;-)

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I use to love making our homemade babywipes. I knew when I made them we were helping save the environment by not buying them and not having to throw away the plastic container the store bought ones come in.

Zig
Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What is a nappy liner?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:09 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I always used plain old cotton baby washcloths.