Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-23-2002, 03:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Is there anything you ARE NOT frugal about?

Is there any thing you do that you know is unfrugal but you just refuse to budge on?

My unfrugal thing is the telephone! My family lives in AZ and I live in AL and I talk to my mother all the time! This is one area in our lives my dh has never asked me to be frugal about.

I do have a good long distance calling plan though so it's not like I try to be unfrugal, I just refuse to quit calling home just to save some money. Those talks with my mom are worth every $$$$!!

I'm trying to get her to quit being afraid of her computer and get a mic so we can chat online, but so far she won't give in.

I'm sure there are other things...like I have to have JIF peanut butter and HEINZ ketchup and I refuse to buy cheap toilet paper! LOL

Just my pet peeves. What are yours?
Old 02-23-2002, 03:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am the same with the phone calls. My family lives in Pa. and I call my Mom and My sister all the time. My sister has a new baby (7 months) so I have to call for my "nephew report"!! LOL!!!

I have to have Pepsi (can't stand any other soda),heinz ketchup, no cheapy garbage bags and I agree with you about the toliet paper definetly NO CHEAPY TOLIET PAPER!!! LOL!
Old 02-23-2002, 03:54 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

LOL! I think it'll be unanymous on the toilet paper issue! I also agree on the phone calls.

I think we all have certain products we won't buy generic. Here are the ones I refuse to give up:

Skippy Peanut Butter
CoffeeMate Creamer
Kraft American Singles
Folgers or Hills Bros coffee
Glad garbage bags

I also spend money getting my hair cut and colored three times a year. As the celebs say "I'm worth it" LMAO I also can't use cheap conditioner. My hair just won't accept it I have to buy the expensive stuff or my hair is a rat's nest. I do stock up when it goes on sale tho!

I also buy Iams cat and dog food. I notice a tremendous difference in my pets when I do. I buy the cheap cat food for the strays outside, but the good stuff for my indoor pets. Less sheddings, no more hair matting, and they are softer and shinier.

I think I do pretty well tho. My hubby is not a frugal person, so it's quite a challenge sometimes, but I think I hold my own
Old 02-23-2002, 04:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Gosh I didn't even think about my hair! I do get mine cut at a salon but I do my own coloring. (I'm too cheap to pay someone to color it).
Old 02-23-2002, 05:06 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I used to color my own hair.... till I trashed it LOL
Old 02-23-2002, 05:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

LOL....
Quote:
I used to color my own hair.... till I trashed it
I've been lucky...even my stylist says I do a great job! She says as long as I can do such a good job there is no point paying her to do it! She says I have very healthy hair though and that is important.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I color my hair myself also. It is a surprise sometimes!!! LOL!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 07:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It has to be Heinz catsup, although I do buy it buy the can it's a better deal then the bottles. Dd will eat anything as long as it has catsup on it. She likes catsup sandwich's before bed too. ughh
Jeans they have to be Levi's. They are the only ones that ever fit right.
Shampoo for me has to be Scruples or my hair is a nightmare.
Boots have to be Doc's. They are well worth the money. Mine now are about 6 years old (winter boots) and they take a beating, look brand new.
Dh trims my hair, all one length almost to my waist. When I went to the salon only for a trim of 1/2 inch all the way around, it's not hard, they charge me extra because my hair is long. We aren't even talking a wash here, just a spray and trim. Couldn't see spending $30.00 just to have that little cut off when a freind of mine who has shorter hair, just to the shoulders, has to pay $9.oo for the same thing
Old 02-24-2002, 02:38 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I wont scrimp on my daily cups of tea - for me it has to be Bushells tea, or nothing!

Ditto for Gravox/Gravy mix.

Apart from that, I am open to frugality on all other counts! Yes, even toilet paper!!
Old 02-24-2002, 02:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I will buy generic at times although there are some items I will not skimp on either

Toilet Paper
I will only buy Contadina tomatoes for my sauces.
ketchup
some make-ups

I can't think of any more off the top of my head... it is too early for me to think this morning

When you look at prices, even with coupons, it is amazing how cheap generic can be.. but cheaper does not always mean better.

Gives you something to think about when shopping.... no wonder it takes us so long at the stores.