Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-24-2002, 07:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I will usually try anything once, and I'm not afraid to try or use store brands or generic brands. I have to agree with Shawn though cheaper does not always mean better. I will not skimp on quality just to save a buck or two.It's just not worth it!
Old 02-25-2002, 05:02 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lets see...I will buy store brand of most everything, including toilet paper! I think dh uses it a roll at a time, if I bought the thick cushy stuff he would clog up the lines! I actually think my cupboards could be in a Walmart commercial!
But there are a few things I won't skimp on: Dawn dishdetergent, Coffee Folgers or Maxwell House, Foundation-Mary Kay, Cetaphil cleanser and Lotion for DH sensitive skin even tho sometime I will buy the Rite Aid equivalent of the cleanser, it seems too work as well. Eucerin for ds, I have not found anything that works as well. Even though I hate paying $7 for the small tub! Can you tell I have family with very sensitive skin! Best part is dh is pure blooded Native American, with gorgeous dark complexian. But he has so many skin problems even rosacea! I on the other hand with extrememly fair skin don't have half the problems he does!
Old 02-25-2002, 06:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Up here in Canada there are a few different brand names but most of them are the same. Cool Whip brand, the generic brand is yucky. Toilet paper and Heinz are sacred. Most other things I am pretty flexible with. One other important one up here are OSH Kosh snowsuits and Kamik or Sorel winter boots. It is VERY cold up here and my kids NEVER complain when they have the good stuff on. You just can't take a chance when its 40 below. For the adults there is nothing better than HELLY HANSON clothing (long underwear, separates, socks, gloves, etc) The best of the best. If you work outside in all weather they are a must. Very expensive but one of the few things that are worth absolutely every dime.

Praying for a cure for my JD boy!
Old 02-25-2002, 06:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We eat out waaaaaay too much (at least once a week). I just can't be as virtuous as Amy Dacyczyn and never eat out. Going out to eat is about the only time I ever get out of the house!

But I can't think of anywhere else that we waste money.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Confession time!

Cast my vote in with the unfrugal toilet paper lot, please!

And yes, I do have some products I simply won't convert on, regardless of price:

Folger's and Gloria Jean's coffee (Folger's is what I wake up with and Gloria Jean's is what I enjoy)
Cascade Complete auto. dishw. soap
Crisco butter flavor sticks
Sudafed Sinus Non-drowsy gelcaps

AND REAL BUTTER and ICE CREAM!

Sandie

"My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance!"
Old 02-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I have been doing real good with cutting back on stuff that I think we can do without. For instance, I cut way back on my DH's consumption of Diet Pepsi....wow that stuff gets expensive .

I cut back to the meduim price for toilet paper....we buy Angelsoft now.

There is one thing I cannot & will not cut back on......my cable internet !!! It is expensive ( getting more and more expensive by the minute ) but so worth it to us. For a family of 3, we are constantly use it. Weve had it since we got our computer 3 yrs. ago so I dont know what its like to do without but Ive heard so many complaints about the slowness of other services and getting cut off in the middle of things......I dont want that !

I will try my best to cut back on a lot of other things just to be spoiled by this !!
Old 02-27-2002, 06:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, I have a weakness for clothes, dishes and vacations. I have reduced my spending on these things, but it is so hard for me sometimes!
Old 02-27-2002, 06:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We are real butter people too!

I probably spend way too much on paper towels. I really like to clean with them. We also like certain brands of food and other household items.

I like Royal Velvet towels. In the end, I don't think I pay any more for them because they last much longer than a cheap towel and don't fade or shrink. We also buy decent appliances and furniture for the same reasons. We have many of the items we bought 20 years ago, because they were good quality to begin with. When we were engaged, we bought a very good quality(expensive!) set of pots and pans. We are still very happy with them and except for a few scratches, they are still like new!

While I am writing this, I'm thinking that we don't really buy anything cheap! LOL! We look for the best quality at the best price. Many years ago I heard someone say:

"Buy the best you can afford and you'll never be sorry"

I guess this is sort of our motto!

Jenna
Old 03-01-2002, 07:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Things I won't skimp on (again):

Personal toiletries: Neutrogena or Clinique facial cleansers. Other
stuff either broke me out, dried me out, or made me red, sometimes all three. Yikes!
Neutrogena, Clinique, or Almay foundation, coverup, and loose powders. Others broke me out and made me look like an oil slick.
Once the good stuff is on my skin, the rest of the make-up doesn't matter.
Pantene shampoo and conditioners. Wash my hair every other day. Others left the roots oily by second day and the ends were dry and breaking.
Aveeno lotion, I have excema, but you wouldn't know it because I use Aveeno once a day. Others I had to reapply all day because of the itching. Wasn't worth it.

Food and Drink: Maxwell House or Folgers Coffee. Tried a store brand once, thought I was going to die.
Prestige Beef Bologna, ummm, don't need bread, mayo, or cheese.
Hellman's mayo... That says it all

Household Items: Charmin Toilet paper, only the best for my bum.
Glad Trash Bags, tired of picking up trash when the bag broke.
Tide Liquid, I like my black pants and shirts to be black.
Bounty paper towels, Last and Last.
Ultrex Cookware, bought once 5 years ago and still going strong, others had to be replaced every year, I love to cook.

Pets: Iams or Purina One dry for the cats. They eat every last bite and are healthy.
Purina Dry Dog chow for my dogs. Every dog I've every had ate it and lived beyond the average life span. Don't temp fate, I say.
Premium Oatmeal shampoo for the dogs. Thick shiny fur, easy to rinse and brush, eliminated their dry skin and coats.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

For me, I have to have GOOD tea, usually from the Stash Tea Co. Last time I ordered, I think I spent 40.00 , but it's so much better than anything else I've tried. That 40.00 will also last the better part of a year, and went into some of the gift baskets I made for Christmas, so I think it was worth it.

Also must have Dawn dish soap. No other will do. We have extremely hard water, and I hate having to wash the same dish 47 times when only one will suffice!

For freezing food, I have to have the Hefty OneZips. I have lost too many things down the drain when the ziploc wasn't zipped. Of course, that's only after I've filled all my recycled containers.

For toothpaste, must be Tom's of Maine. The rest of the family likes the overflavored, oversweetened store brands or name brands at the dollar store, but just the smell will make me nautious. I got some freebie samples of Tom's off the internet, and I could actually brush my teeth without gagging. A vast improvement over the straight baking soda I've been using for years. And there's a store in town that carries it, so don't have to worry about mail order and S&H.

Mom to Brita 6/12/91

Logan 10/30/98