Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 03-23-2015, 09:52 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpost View Post
You can also double-or-triple-diaper
I double diapered from day one... triple diapered when/if needed, like when we went on vacation and were travelling in the car for long extended periods.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:04 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
cloth is king
Yuppers!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:18 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom1 View Post
I found that I was spending about the same amount if not more on using cloth diapers. I found that especially durning the summer months, the plastic pants irritated the skin even more.
Aside from laundering costs, which I found came in at next to nothing, the only other long-term expense (if you can call it that) was rubber pants, which I bought as needed, and with proper care (hand-washing/line drying), I was able to get a lot of mileage out of a handful of pairs of rubber pants.

As for rubber pants irritation/rash, a little baby powder sprinkled into rubber pants at diaper change time kept my kids bottoms (and legs) happy.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:26 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishelly View Post
If I were to start over I'd just go with the pins and pants from the start. I think you can get a better fit with the pins
I was one of those moms that chose the pins and pants method from the start, and to this day I still swear by it! As for diaper fit, nothing IMO works better than traditional diaper pins.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitmagickal View Post
when it comes to the smell (?) of cloth diapers sitting around waiting to be cleaned, do disposbale diapers also smell since I would think they may be sitting awhile before the garbage bag is full and ready to be taken out?
Diapers smell, that's a fact, but speaking from experience, cloth diapers kept in a proper plastic diaper pail (with a lid) emit no odour outside the pail.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:42 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
As to leaking--I found that by changing the baby more frequently to avoid leaking, he/she stayed cleaner and the rashes were few and mild.
Never had a problem with leaking in my home... used rubber pants full-time... checked/changed diapers frequently.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:51 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
You can also fold them down for a newborn (ok our kids were 7-14 and 8-13, so they were big babies) and you can fold them for boys (think in front) or girls (thick in back).
My method exactly, and flats keep on working well into the 30-40 lbs range. Used flats and rubber pants on my kids (at night) for the longest time after they were daytime trained. No problem.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:01 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If you have so much as a hint of traditional old-fashionedness in you, then regular ordinary cloth diapers, pins, and rubber pants is the way to go... totally frugal, too!