Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 06-04-2002, 10:28 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Interesting topic!
I have 2 kids and have used disposables for both. But when I think of the money I have spent over the years it is astronomical! Neither of my kids could use the generic diapers I had too use huggies or eventually I found Whitecloud at Walmart which works the same for me as huggies and is alot cheaper. Right now I go thru a pack a week that is $8.97 a week or $35.80 a month or 430.56 a year times 5 yr is $2152.80 both kids wore diapers for six months so add another 214.80 and I used huggies exclusively for about 3 yrs. about $3 more a week and that includes the 6 mo. both wore diapers add another $504 which brings the grand total too $2871.60!!! And mind you I am atill using them! If I have anymore children I am going too try cloth! Even if it cost me a bit too get started, I still think it will be cheaper. There are patterns out there too make your own, I know how too sew I will make them or buy them used. I make my own laudry soap and hang my clothes so I think it will be better in the long run. And hopefully easier too potty train. Just use disposables for outings and such. Just MHO!
Old 06-04-2002, 11:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I've found

I've found that regardless of cloth or disposable, (I've worked with children for years in many capacities and have three of my own) that children potty train when they are ready, regardless of what they are wearing. Or not wearing. It's developmental. You can train yourself to have your child trained, but they'll do it when they are good and ready. It works out best that way, b/c it's for real!
Old 06-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for that last reply about potty training!

My DS is 3 1/2 and still in diapers. I know he knows what to do, he just does not want to. He isn't ready to take that leap of cooperation. He's stubborn in every other area--why should this be any different?

Even though I keep telling my dear mother that he'll use the potty when he's ready, sometimes her skepticism wears off on me and I think I'm doing something wrong.

Caroline
Old 06-04-2002, 05:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I understand completely

My first born (a boy) was trained by two, but dd is saying no way! She just turned three and has days where she wears real underwear, not trainers, and does great. The next day she wants pull ups on. I will say, "don't you want to wear your undies?" Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I don't want to push her to fast b/c she's stubborn and will decide never to train. My ds told me he wanted to do potty and I didn't believe him. He proved me wrong. He knew he was ready.

Something that's been effective with my dd is incentives. You can pick out the kind of big girl undies you want when you start using the potty. And, you get to go with Aunt Melanie to the movies when you do potty. (It's the thing that my sister does with my kids one on one). And, we have Kids Play Centers in some of our super markets here. You have to be three and potty trained to go there. It's big with dd. Maybe you could try an incentive thing. Not bribing, but gentle pushing with reward. Just something that's working for us.

And, stick to your guns, you know your son best! Good luck!

Old 06-13-2002, 02:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

cloth or disposable?

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum, but wanted to pass on my thoughts. I'm employed part-time outside of the home. Only about 15 hours aweek. You would think that I have all the time in the world to use cloth diapers. Well the only thing that I've found useful about cloth diapers, is that they make good burp rags!! I had thought about using them instead of disposable, but that thought ended the day I came home from the hospital.
I have 2 children. 20 months apart. My first has been going thru potty training for about a year now. This is a battle in itself. I found that disposables are better. Like some of the other's have stated. By the time you purchase everything that you will need for cloth diapers, you spend just as much $$. If you have a BJ's or Cosco's near you, this is a great place to purchase diaper's by the case. Cheeper too! I have been fortunate. We have a discounted store nearby. This is where the big stores weed out the dented cans, torn packages, etc. Everything is discounted here and this is where I buy my diaper's $8.49 per jumbo pack. You should look around and see if you have anything like that near you. Every town should have one!
It was nice chatting and I hope to be back soon to see what's new.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Potty Training

Ok, I couldn't stay away. Potty Training Like I said before. I have a 2 1/2 yr old who has been potty training for the past year. I've tried all the tricks. M&M's, $$, games. Inflation is bad when your 2 yr old know's that $1 is better then a quarter.
He does great outside of the house. A friend told me that this was a natural occurance for kids. In their own home they are to comfortable. They begin to play and ignore the signs when they have to go potty. Outside the home, they want to make a liar out of you and will go potty on the pot everytime!!!!! My son will go several days with a clean record. He even gets up in the middle of the night to go potty. Why can't he do this everyday. He knows when he has to go. (this is proven in the middle of the night), so why can't this happen during the day? Does anyone have an answer for that. Ok, I've been up since 4:30 this am, potty call from by 2 1/2 yr old. I'm getting carried away. Sorry!
I've been told several times that boys are harder to train then girls. I've found a way to get them started sooner. As soon as my first started walking, he would follow us into the bathroom. So I decided to put his potty chair in there. When we went in he followed and sat on his potty. This was great practice for him. I'm now doing the same for my 13 month old. He loves it. I would suggest this to anyone who is starting the potty training bit. Good luck!! We all need it.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Potty Training

Mommyoftwo,
I've found that a child will potty train when ready. Even when they are "trained" they take steps backwards b/c it's a big step. At 2 1/2, it's very early for a child to "grow up" and they have moments of wanting to be a baby again. My dd just turned three and she's like this occasionally too. She'll go for days and then one day, nope, she's not doing it. Part of it is her nature, but part of it is all the new things that are going on now that she's bigger. I say, be positive with your son and make a big deal out of each time he does go. Praise from a parent goes along way. Maybe have him call Dad at work or Grandma and Grandpa occasionally so they can get in on the praise thing too. Don't make a big deal out of accidents and don't let him see you're upset. That will cause backsliding. I've found with dd, that if she ran around in a shirt and underwear, she did better than with pants on. Not sure why. Potty training is scary for kids. You'll probably find that your second child will train earlier too, b/c he's seen big bro doing it. I've seen this in many kids. I've also seen many kids go gung ho on potty training early and then the novelty wears off and it's no fun anymore. Be patient. It will happen. If you follow your child's lead and don't put any undo pressure on them, they all train when they are physically and mentally ready for it. Good luck!

Old 11-09-2013, 06:32 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Disposable diapers definitely have their pros... however, cloth diapers (IMO) are tops, when it comes to bottoms!

Having always been a stay-at-home mom, I wasted not a second in choosing diapers for my kids, and when I say "diapers", I'm talking standard traditional cloth diapers... the old-fashioned way... with pins and rubber pants... liners, too.

Being able to reach for a fresh soft natural diaper (day or night) provided me with peace of mind, and put my mind at ease as to baby's comfort. No worries (ever) over running out of diapers... and no worries over ongoing expense.

I'm thinking back to my babysitting days when everyone used cloth diapers, and on the rare occasion I babysat for a mom that used disposables, the kids bottoms were usually red and irritated... no mystery there... scratchy paper material up against baby's tender and sensitive skin around the clock. However, with cloth... bottoms were always white and clear.

I kept a diaper pail in the baby's room (for wet diapers), and another in the bathroom (for soiled diapers), and when it was time for a diaper change, off came the rubber pants, diaper or diapers (if doubled) were unpinned, tossed into the plastic diaper pail (if wet)... or taken down to the bathroom for a rinsing (if soiled)... at which time they, too, were deposited into the diaper pail.

A quick wipe with a baby washcloth, washcloth into diaper pail, fresh clean diaper under baby's/child's bottom, a quick pull of the corners on one side, slide pin through diaper and latch, another quick pull and tug on the other side, slide pin through diaper and latch, replace rubber pants, good for another hour or two.

Every two to three days, empty diaper pail into washing machine (loved my old top-loader washing machine for diapers), turn select dial to rinse/spin, allow diapers to spin for a minute, add detergent/bleach, start wash cycle.

Every month or two, I added a cup of vinegar to the final rinse cycle to flush the diapers of any built-up soap residue and to help balance pH level to reduce diaper rash. When wash-load was done, diapers were promptly walked outside and hung on the line, rubber pants, too... though I tended to hand-wash/rinse the rubber pants to extend the life of them. The old agitator washing machines destroyed rubber pants!

With old-fashioned flats (which I used), you had dry diapers in an hour or two, making for economical diapering (and laundering), and at under $10 a dozen, it was a no-brainer. And, when properly cared for, a set of cloth diapers will easily last through two children's diapering years, making for uber-frugal diapering!

For the price of a pack of rubber pants, under $2 at the time, I was set for months of diapering, and with old-fashioned diapers, I enjoyed the versatility and benefit of two-piece diapering... "two-piece" meaning, diaper and pants system. (Whatever the diaper missed catching, the rubber pants did, working as an added level of defense). It was like having a double-measure of protection.

The old diaper and pants method may be old-fashioned, but when it comes to good old-fashioned economics and reliability, the old trumps all! And that's coming from a mom who diapered all six of her kids in cloth!

Conclusion. Cloth diapers aren't for everyone, nor are they a viable option for everyone, but if you don't live under the strain of water-restrictions/water-woes, and can look past the laundering, you'll save a TON of money using cloth! And... you'll be helping not contribute to the current landfill woes we are seeing.

Additionally, using cloth is an ideal way to preserve valuable resources... both renewable and non-renewable, and a conscious way to reduce the the poisonous manufacturing processes that so many modern day products require... processes that are constantly and continually working at undermining and destroying our very existence, compromising our health and the health of future generations, and jeopardizing the purity of resources we cannot afford to taint and compromise.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

bump

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 02-21-2015, 01:41 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen143 View Post
I've found that regardless of cloth or disposable, (I've worked with children for years in many capacities and have three of my own) that children potty train when they are ready, regardless of what they are wearing. Or not wearing.
Yep... out of my six, three were late trainers, and two wore diapers into their four's. I also have a bundle of nephews and nieces (sisters and SIL's kids) that were diapered the same as my kids (cloth and rubber pants), and I remember changing two or three out of the bunch that were well into their three's and still in diapers full-time. Also remember babysitting for a family or two back in the day that had kids in diapers (cloth and rubber pants) until late...