Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 06-03-2002, 07:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow!!! Thank you everyone for the great information
I was wondering for those who said that they used disposable diapers and would try different kinds to fit your baby's size or to see if one was better at handling leaks, what did you do with the extra diapers that were left when you bought a new kind? Did you just use them up first, even if they didn't fit the baby's body or were horrible with leaks, or did you just hold on to them and give them to a friend, or something else????
And when it comes to the smell (?) of cloth diapers sitting around waiting to be cleaned, do disposbale diapers also smell since I would think they may be sitting awhile before the garbage bag is full and ready to be taken out? Or do disposable diapers not really smell if you have diaper genies or whatever else they get contained in????
Old 06-03-2002, 07:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I always tie the poopies up in plastic shopping bags before tossing or take them directly to the outdoors can. May not be "environmentally friendly" but I do what I have to do to stay sane while babysitting all 3 grands!

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 06-03-2002, 07:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I haven't had a horrible problem with leaks. I buy a cheap store brand and stick with it. The ones at ShopKo are best, but I'll also use Walmart or KMart brand. I really like the Cloth-like ones (they're not plasticky on the outside).

When you need a new size or whatever, you usually just use up the ones you have first.

They do stink, but if you fold them in on themselves and use the sticky tapes to close it, they aren't too bad. I have a pail with a lid and can go a week between emptying with no problems.

Caroline
Old 06-03-2002, 04:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi All

I used cloth diapers on my first.. Didn't mind it at all. In the diaper pail I kept bleach and water. Wet diaper went right in messy ones got a rinse then went in. Every few days I would run a load. Never had any problems. AND she was potty trained by 12 months, I think because she could feel the wet. The second time I used disposible, They are expensive but convenient. That one was forever with potty training I think because she could not feel the wetness. There are pros and cons to both if I would have another I would go back to cloth!
Old 06-03-2002, 04:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sorry I forgot...
The cheap disposibles leak...I did not do well with any off brands
Old 06-03-2002, 07:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Does Mothering magazine still exist? I let my subscription end & gave away all my old issues. If it does, alot of companies that sell diapering supplies advertise in it. I ordered some velcro diapers and diaper covers for a couple of the companies.

However, most of my supplies were second hand, purchased at resale shops. It is worth looking into! The products are expensive new.

I used both, disposable diapers were very convient! But expensive & as the baby grows you will purchase less diapers in the package! I changed my kids whenever they needed it - so I still used a lot.

The cost issue is similar to the paper plates and china comparision (in the long run china is cheaper). Your cloth diapers are mostly an upfront expense. Soap, electricity & water really aren't that much per diaper.

Good luck - do whatever you & dh want to! You will want him to change the diapers also!
Old 06-04-2002, 05:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Very Interesting!

I'm with the disposable moms. Reasons being this: I find that disposable is better for the baby. If your child/ren have sensitive skin, even a little, cloth diapers will make it worse and prolong it. My ds had a horrible time. We switched over to disposables and he never had another problem. Our pediatrician was great about cloth, very supportive, if that's what we wanted, but gave us some info about rashes and cloth, as well as infections. Cloth diaper babies have more infections (skin) and can get them when acidity from urine interact with bowel movement. If you plan on using day care, cloth diapers are not allowed for this very reason. Too many sick kids and a bacteria forms from the combination of the two and can cause a spreadable bacteria infection. Day cares don't always change the babies when they're wet, but on a schedule, so disposable's are much better there. If your kids are at home, and you want to try cloth, go for it. Many studies have shown that it costs about the same either way. With the cost of electricity, water, detergent, bleach, etc, you're paying out the same as disposables and that's not including labor time that you do! With three kids now, I don't know if I would even want to go through the process and if I could keep up with it! That's a factor too, if you have more than one. I guess it would depend on how close they were. A lot of the on-line parenting sites have articles on this issue. They're very interesting.

A side note. No matter what you decide to do with your child, someone will have a contradictory opinion to something. You and your dh should decide what's right for your family and stick to it. Don't let anyone change your mind or pressure you into changing. Decide and present a united front. If you don't end up winning them to your side eventually, at least they'll have to admire you for sticking to your guns and are doing what you feel is right for your child. No one will know them like you do, that's a fact. Enjoy your kids. It's the most rewarding thing a women can ever do in her life, and it goes by so quickly!

Okay, that's my two cents!

Old 06-04-2002, 06:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Sometimes I think it is funny how you can find studies to support any side of an issue!;-) You are right that it is an individual decison! DH support is every important too!

PS I know of one day care that will take cloth if the family provides a container and takes the dirtys home daily!
Old 06-04-2002, 06:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mothering Magazine

SuzyQ, Mothering does still exist. You're right: they're a good resource. Check out http://www.mothering.com

Wow! I'm surprised to hear so much about skin problems and cloth diapers. My dd isn't having any problems, thankfully!

And I also have heard the argument that clothed babies potty train a bit more easily b/c they feel the wetness of the cloth. I'm hoping that's true for us!
Old 06-04-2002, 07:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

blushing

Tried....years ago... to use cloth....my dd also got a rash that would not go away!
She went with us on our Semi, cross-country when she was 3 months old. Needless to say cloth diapers were not the way to go while out on the road.
I would have liked to used them, for various reasons, but sometimes it just doesn't work out...