Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 06-02-2002, 07:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm a SAH Nana to my 3 grandkids and I REFUSE to allow anything but disposables in my house! I went the cloth diaper route with my oldest child (she's now 28) and will never touch them again. They are a nightmare to clean if poopy , are AWFUL at keeping their little bottoms dry and leak something awful around the legs of rubber/plastic pants. Disposables keep the moisture away and they are far less prone to diaper rashes.

Of course everyone has their own financial situation to consider, but for convenience sake I won't consider another route. Besides, how much money do you save when you throw the poopies away like I used to?! (not to mention HOT water and gentle baby detergents necessary to wash them.

Good luck with whatever you decide and remember, it doesn't matter if everyone else thinks you're nuts as long as it's what YOU want to do!

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 06-02-2002, 09:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Environment

One aspect I failed to mention before was the environment. Here are a few links that provide information. It is still a matter of choice and I am sure you can easily find arguements, for lack of better words, on both sides of the "coin" - but I think it is worth putting it into consideration.

Web Home

About.com - Environment

Cherished Moments

Good Luck. I intend to try both and make my decision afterwards as several women mentioned above. i appreciate everyone's response here - I know I find it helpful.

Old 06-02-2002, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi young mommies and those planning to be.....

I'm an older mommie....and they had just introduced disposables when my son was an infant.... I bought a box just to use when we went visiting.....they were expensive then and out of sight now....
Then there were diaper services, they picked up the soiled ones and left clean ones.....but I didn't like the quality or condition of the diapers.....
I bought 12 doz yes 12 doz birdseye diapers. I have never regretted it..... they are easy to wash and recycle *g*....
Just flush out solid matter in the toilet bowl, quickly rinse them and put them in a 'diaper pail" yes there are such things, with water and a few handsful of 20 mule team borax. Wash in hot water, bleach and a mild detergent......dry in dryer...and there ya go. You have to have a routine....do them every other day....just like when you get up.....put on the coffee pot.....start the diapers in the washing machine. With the money you save over time, you can go on vacation, then, go out to eat every night for a week......*grin* That was one of my favorite things to do.
Hope that helps... *s*

Jeannie
Old 06-02-2002, 11:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

cloth diapers and bleach

Jeannie--you used bleach on your cloth diapers? I never did because I had heard it would irritate the baby's skin. But by soaking and double washing and sometimes hanging in the sun to dry, they stayed white. As to leaking--I found that by changing the baby more frequently to avoid leaking, he/she stayed cleaner and the rashes were few and mild. And I forgot to mention that most of my first batch of cloth diapers were still usable when our daughter came along. Plus you've got plenty of burp pads and dischcloths!
Interesting to see that this debate still rages...kind of like Coke or Pepsi! LOL!
To each their own.
Mona
Old 06-02-2002, 11:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

blushing

Hi Mona...

Yep I used about 1/4 cup bleach in the wash and double rinsed....never had a problem......I had a clothesline as well and they were out on the line to dry unless it was raining.....then I would put them in the dryer.....to this day I prefer line-dried clothes....

Oh Mona you are so right...there are so many uses for the diapers......in fact, those that were the softest I would give to my girlfriend who had a newborn...... I agree with ya girlie...cloth is king....and much cheaper in the long run....I agree with ya 100% all the wayyyyyyyyyy..... *s*
Old 06-02-2002, 01:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We used disposables until dd's cord fell off and then on vacation. We really prefer cloth. DD has never had diaper rash. I throw my dipes in the washer by themselves on a prewash cycle and then add clothing for a full fledged cycle. I don't bother with rinsing and soaking. Since I do laundry every day or every other day, they don't sit too long anyway.

Environmentally, I make my own detergent so it's phosphate free and we have an energy efficient front loading washer. I also rarely use hot water. Usually cold or warm, depending on the load. That said, I couldn't have done all this if I weren't a WAHM.

I received some fitted dipes as gifts from a cousin who makes them and I got covers from a resale store. I've also inherited hand-me-down diapers and covers. So the cost has been phenomenally low for us! I can't imagine buying diapers every week/month.

Another thing to consider is the gel used in disposables. Some people think this stuff isn't so great. There are studies being done to check if there's a link to the gel and future sterility. But I'm not educated enough on this to elaborate. If you're interested, I'm sure there's info out there. There are gel free disposables available.

I don't think cloth is difficult, but make the decision best for you!
Old 06-02-2002, 06:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb diapers

hello.

just wanted to share my experience with you.

we used disposable diapers the whole 2 1/2 years for my son.

we found that most of the time-brand name doesnt mean it's better.
we started out using Huggies newborn (very expensive).
then Huggies size 1 - but after that the huggies didnt fit his body shape (long torso).
so then it was trial and error all the rest of the way. we would switch to pampers-didnt fit his body shape right and leeked terribly. then we tried "muppet babies" store brand-worked wonderful for awhile-but then the company that made them changed them to fit smaller and be less absorbant. so then we changed to drypers brand-wonderful at first-then poorer quality later on.
well- you get the idea by now- quality seems everchanging and your children will grow and their body shape will change-so it will be constant trial and error.

so my advice is simply-try what you want - but never stock up on too much of any one thing. you never know what you will need tomorrow.
it certainly can't hurt to try the disposables- try the cloths-see what works best for you and your baby.

one bit of advice i feel strongly about though - is watch what products you use on your child.especially the newborn. fragrance free is the best way to go.my son developed excema at 3 1/2 months old and the dermatologist feels it was from using Baby Magic baby bath and especially the Baby magic baby lotion. they had fragrance in them.and i dutifully lotioned him after every daily bath- i later learned that newborns should not be lotioned till later- 2 to 3 months old. i thought i was doing his skin good-but was irritating it with fragrance and lotion. the dr. recommend fragrance free Dove bar soap and i used fragrance free Neutrogena lotion. we rarely have any flare ups except if we use certain sunblocks other than neutrogena fragrance free.

after that i always bought fragrance free wipes like huggies and pampers. they both are wonderful.
i also used All brand detergent-Free and Clear. and bounce dryer sheets-fragrance free.
i also learned that you should not use the way overpriced baby powder detergents-they dont rinse away as well as the liquids.

i hope that by sharing some of my expereinces- that it helps.
i am sure you will be well prepared when the time comes-just keep an open mind and try to make the best of it when it happens. thats what is most important. to enjoy it.
sincerely-sheila ann anderson
Old 06-03-2002, 02:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I tried cloth diapers. It seemed like I had to change them way too often. Once they get wet, they are wet. And the baby's skin is wet. The poor thing is trapped in urine, covered up with plastic pants--it eats away at their skin. If you use cloth, please change them often!

The disposables can take the moisture in and keep the skin dry for much longer. This means less diaper rash.

As for the rash, we used to use the creams, but with our last DS we just put baby powder on it--it dries the skin, helps it to stay dry longer, and so heals the rash faster.

There are many reasons to use cloth (the environment, saving money), but I feel that disposables are best for the baby.

Caroline
Old 06-03-2002, 06:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

WOW! I didn't check for posts for one day and you ladies were busy on here!

I'm glad the enviornment was mentioned. I have great concerns too. I want to make sure my great-grandkids don't have to live on top of a landfill!

Alot of good info! thanks.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Diapers: Cloth vs. Disposable

Well girls I guess it's preference, environment & the amount of work you want to do for 2+ years. Personally, I didn't want the the dirty cloth diapers sitting their in a pail stinking up the place. I don't care what you put in that pail with them it's going to stink! Yes, at first you might be able to rinse the poopie out but later on it gets like peanut butter.
But then there are people who just love to clean litter pans too.
The only way I can see that you might save a few cents is if you are going to have several children over the years. This was not an option for me. I am *not* convinced that after you have to rinse in the toilet, rinse more by hand, soak in pail, double wash/rinse, hang on the line, fold, buy special detergents, etc. that it is in any way efficient to use cloth diapers.
My son would have been so broken out with rash cause you'd have to use plastic pants over the diapers! I just could *not* justify the cloth. I love disposables & highly recommended them. I don't think I ever used 48 diapers in a week! But maybe some babies poop more than others.
I recommend generic from ToysRUS, Wal-Mart, Hy-Vee, etc. Huggies are good but expensive, didn't like Luvs or Drypers. I shopped around and never paid much(never over 14 cents each even we he got bigger).